Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 5 posters - Mod Note: Post #19

• 23-01-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Ok, list your top 5 posters on the photo forum....no particular order. I know this is going to be tough for me. You can ONLY name 5 and no close calls (cos that isn't 5 is it?????)

DaireQuinlan (loooooooooove his film stuff. Makes me drool, I appreciate it a lot, brilliant, sexy...great!!!)

HughC (portraits blow me away. Stunning!!!!! So jealous. End of!!!)

Animal Rights (so passionate, progressed so much so fast. wish he posted more!!! miss his more militant days :) )

Fajitas! (so many cameras, so many photos, so good!)

DougL (I don't know him that much but they stand out in my mind for cracking images)

There are others I'd LOVE to mention but its 5 and 5 only. I'm sorry.

ONLY 5/FIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Pull&Bang comes to mind, also Kev Longshanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

FoxT wrote: »

FIVE!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Hmmmm, its a hard one....

Fajitas, haha I love to hate you ;)
    Eas, amazing photog as I always tell you,
    PCPhoto, great advice, great experience and always willing to help out,
    Borderfox as above with PC
    And I have to say it, Dodgykeeper, haha my first friend from the forum, been gone too long and just welcomed back, I love the controversy haha, has been a great help to me over the time I have been here.

To all the newbies looking here to see who is important, everyone is, many here started lookign to find out what camera to buy and many like myself have made this their job through hardwork, courses but mostly through the support of others on this forum.

No matter whether it is the likes of Fajitas above who I often argued with just because I hated that he knew more than me, it is true, Eas' high standards that I fight to achieve, PC and Borders advice and Dodgys help in person by cleaning my camera for me, oh Cabainsail did that for me too thanks Tony, and for accompanying me to shoots there are sooo many people with such a wealth of experience here that are only too willing to help out.

Thumbs up boardies:D

God Im full of cheese today;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

In alphabetical order...

Covey/Eyeblinks
    Eas
    Daire Quinlan
    Fajitas
    Gerk86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

in no order at all :

pete4130 - through your shots i shall be travelling round the world vicariously for the next while, and all from my sofa here in mayo. i'm so unashamedly and insanely jealous of your youth and opportunity that i have to take a motilium before i look at your stuff recently.... just to stop myself being sick :mad:;):p
    dairequinlan
    fajitas
    Éadaoin
    oshead - cause your daughter is gonna have one amazing catalogue of her childhood when she's older to show her kids and her grandkids. and that's a brilliant thing to have. i don't have that and i wish i did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Éadaoin - Great shots and interesting processing (more buns please!!)
    Fajitas - I remember being on the forum and not knowing what a prime was and he was a wealth of knowledge, very helpful too
    Animalrights - Like a glimpse inside another world, a nice bloke to meet too
    Covery/Eyeblinks - Met Tommie in person in DCU a long time ago and was blown away with his street/travel shots, another down to earth guy
    PaulW - met Paul a long time ago, excellent sport shots and so helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

pete4130 wrote: »
    DougL (I don't know him that much but they stand out in my mind for cracking images)

Cheers for that! Glad you like my stuff.

With a wife and 2.5 kids, I don't get much time for Boards :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

AnimalRights
    Humberklog
    DaireQuinlan
    magicbastarder
    pete4130

Why? Great photos, lots of help, information, links, arguments, hilarity, ideas and passion, speaking of which, a special mention for AnimalRights - Probably one of the most passionate photographers on here, which is great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

FoxT wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::o:o:o
    Was not expecting to see that! But thanks!

I'll add my names some time tomorrow after a decent nights sleep - im wrecked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

In no order

Eas
    Oshead
    Xshayx
    Lynn who does the baby photos and whose username i can't recall at the moment :-(
    Fajitas
    i could go on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Most of the posters who do not include overdone HDRs and shots of their kids.

But on regular basis, I am attracted by pictures from:
    Borderfox
    Fajitas!
    Pete4130
    Ricky91t
    *eadaoin - great style of photographs and good selection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

In alphabetical order also

Daire Quinlan
    Fajitas
    humberklog
    jpb1974
    pete4130

Also if I ever thanked one of your posts you're in there. I have loads of favourites. ;)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

TelePaul
    Valentia

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I don't like any of the photographers here, none of the shots blow me away.

I have a very high standard for pictures and people here are all newbies

Yours

The_Fly

This is always tough because you feel like a prick if you don't mention people who helped you out (and there are a lot of people who have helped me out over the time i've been posting here. I've asked some fairly mundane questions).

I'd have to say Chorcaì, as he's the first (and only) boardsie I've met, and even after I paid about €100 on a photography beginners class, it was him who explained aperture to me in a normal manner.

Then, after him, I think El Cagey has been a great help to me. He often seems to be looking into different things around the same time as me, so we cross over a little, and he gives me lots of information on stuff he's been looking at.

PCPhoto because, although I haven't directly talked to him much about anything in particular, I love his attitude and willingness to help other people out so much. He's forever offering to help get people's images into papers and giving advice on equipment he's used. He also always gives people a good all-round knowledge of his job, how the business works and how to get involved. He rarely posts pictures, but feck me, he's one of, if not the best, posters on here.

Have found Borderfox to be really helpful, too. Always happy to offer advice when he can, and he posts some lovely images on here.

Have also always enjoyed posts by Mountainsandh. Always seems quite cheery, and enjoy posts by her, too. Some really nice images in the random photos thread, I do believe, and if I recally correctly, is also learning the ins and outs of it all, so I've crossed over with her a few times regarding things i was looking at or trying to find out.

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking about at the moment who i also like and enjoy talking to, or whose images I think are great, but at the moment those are the 5 that spring to mind.

Again, threads being dragged off topic by some people. This thread is about the top 5 peoples photos you like. No more. no less. It's not the place for opinions whether you like the thread or not, or if its right or wrong. If you want to talk about it, start a new thread please. Any more deviations form the topic and I'll ask mods to delete posts to keep the thread on topic. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

ya, it's tough....

1) HK - Neil's photography resonates with me on a few levels. I like his vision & creativity, sense of humour and dedication. He's also quite helpful & I think gives very good & accurate advice.

2) Elven - Although she rarely, if ever, posts anymore, I think she always tried to push the intellectual side of photography which I've always felt lacking on this forum. Her photography was also inspiring.

3) PCPHOTO - Although I'm not sure I've ever seen any of his photos, as mentioned above by other posters his willingness to help people along is quite admirable.

4) Borderfox - Just comes across as being one of the nicest & more helpful people who posts here & of course his photography backs it up.

5) Pete4130&TheCageyone - On their own worth mentioning for different reasons, but together....wow the entertainment value is over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ah yes, been a while since i've put one of these on thread but as i don't see any of the guys online, I'm happy to intervene.

Please refrain from blabbering on about stoopid stuff. Please learn to use the ignore feature of boards if you constantly are nagging at someone or their opinions get your goat. Please keep the thread on topic. If I come back to the thread to find a whole load of nonsense blather then yes I'm going to ban people and as its a cat mod ban, your next level of appeal is to the admins and I'm perfectly happy to discuss the matter with you and them.

Boards.ie has a primary rule. Don't be a dick.

Please don't be.

Thank you. Now continue on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

humberklog wrote: »
    In alphabetical order...

Covey/Eyeblinks
    Eas
    Daire Quinlan
    Fajitas
    Gerk86

Which Alphabet??? :p

Don't really come on here much so I don't have 5 particular 'favourites' but I do find everybodies advice and opinions helpful.
    1 honourable mention for PCPhoto though - as somebody else said he doesn't post many pics but his knowledge and sharing of same is always top class and always stand out to me. Then again, maybe he's just a gadget freak that likes to annoy newspaper editors!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Borderfox wrote: »
    (more buns please!!)

I promise more buns very soon, if not for your pleasure then for my own so I can gobble them up afterwards :D

These are the top 5 on here who's work I personally find most inspiring:

DaireQuinlan
    Humberklog
    Kintarō Hattori
    Fajitas
    Maggy M.

But there are many others on here who I love :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Have also always enjoyed posts by Mountainsandh.

" OMG ! I'd like to thank my mother, my husband, God...":D:D:D

Thanks KKV, seriously though, I feel so little in amongst the "real" photographers, and that's not false modesty I assure you (so much too learn so little time !).

Anyway, same here, really hard to choose, but here are my top 5, on photo taste only, I find everyone really helpful for other stuff.
    And this is really just my taste !

*Eadoin : anxiously waiting for my fix of gorgeous colours and all around romantic yumminess every week.
    DaireQuinlan
    SmelltheGlove
    KevLongshanks
    TheCageyOne : great variety of subjects

There's lots of other names I can think of ! I just love checking the Random Thread every evening, always some great surprises.

I thought about this tonight. It's all subjective to who is posting recently that stands out in your mind. In 1 month most peoples would be way different maybe??? I'm sure there ate users who haven't posted recently and they didn't jump to me right away. It's just fun. I've already made another 2 lusts of top 5's in ny head.

Lusts....haha....lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

AnimalRights - This guy is absolutely amazing, his gig shots are just inspirational for me

KevLongshanks - Extremely creative, some amazing shots

PaulW - Love his sports shots

Kbeg3 - Some really awesome shots, especially the more landscape-based ones

Fajitas - Great shots, never used film, but he really shows that in the world of digital, film can be as good if not better.

As for helpfulness, I've gotten so much help and advice from so many people here, I can't even try to single out individuals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Humberklog
    pete4130
    kevlongshanks
    DaireQ
    Noosixty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

My list:

*Eadoin
    DougL
    Humberklog
    Pete4130
    Squareballoon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

As a Noob these are my favourite at the minute :P, In no Particular order

Mountainsandh
    Pete4130
    Borderfox
    *eadoin
    KevLongshanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Bloody hell, im simply stunned my name has been mentioned a few times in the above. Cheers :o
    (In no particular order)

- AnimalRights - for all the great and gritty gig shots. None of your polished fancy mainstream magazine stuff. Oh & for giving me a lens of a 85mm ƒ1.8 for a week last year!

- Borderfox - for the no nonsense advice in general. And for going out of his way helping us in a flash meet up in Jan '10

- Humberklog - for making me want to try film.

- PCPhoto - never seen a shot from him but his advice and helpfulness is 2nd to none

- pete4130 - for making me see a cool pic can be found in things i've seen a 10,000 times before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

pete4130 wrote: »
    I thought about this tonight. It's all subjective to who is posting recently that stands out in your mind. In 1 month most peoples would be way different maybe??? I'm sure there ate users who haven't posted recently and they didn't jump to me right away. It's just fun. I've already made another 2 lusts of top 5's in ny head.

Lusts....haha....lists.

Yeah you're right, I see some names popping up that I haven't seen a pic from for a while, and I think "ohhh yeahhh". In fact followed a few links to pix.ie and saw names like Dakar, and Joolsveer, or ... I don't know, lots of others, that I used to greatly admire. Dozens more names.
    edit : Thebaz, Cabaal too ! pffff... amazing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

*eadaoin wrote: »
    I promise more buns very soon, if not for your pleasure then for my own so I can gobble them up afterwards :D

These are the top 5 on here who's work I personally find most inspiring:

DaireQuinlan
    Humberklog
    Kintarō Hattori
    Fajitas
    Maggy M.

But there are many others on here who I love :)

Aww thanks very much, that cheered me up on my cycle home.

In no particular order:

Humberklog - Has inspired many of us to try film and witty as feck
    *eadaoin - Who couldn't love the shots and the style
    DaireQuinlan - You have to respect the mans commitment to film, his knowledge and ability
    Fajitas - I do love many of Al's shots and he's always willing to lend some advice
    PCPHoto - I really respect that he lends a hand when a poster has had a photo turn up in publication unexpectedly

There are many great users in the forum, I especially respect those who give great advice on a consistent basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

PaulW - really got me started with photography and of course is a great friend.

KevLongshanks - purely excellent stuff.

oshead - excellent portraits and that little girl's smile just lightens up your day.

PCPhoto - Pure gentleman and so helpful.

Too many more for the 5th...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ok, so - here's 5 (more of random greatness rather than a top #)
    • The artist formerly known as Humberklog (the guy that used to do loads of people stuff :eek:)
    • David oshead - yes, another fan here of his work documenting jessica (though I know there's more to his work)
    • arteva - always interesting and beautiful images posted.
    • DaireQuinlan - old skool ftw - g'wan ya photo elite snob and all that **** - jez, imagine making a camera from a bit of plywood.. muu haaa haaa haaarrrrr..
    • And Animalrights for an edge or three to his work and getting in there close.
    Yeah, loads of others who are damn good too. Many fine photographers grace this little piece of interweb real estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Well isn't this a lovely thread! :)

Advertisement