Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! Please! Laptop to TV connection problems

• 23-01-2011 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi guys,

I was the person that posted this thread a few weeks ago, thanks to everyone that helped.

I ended up getting the MacBook DVI to HDMI cable adaptor, a standard HDMI cable, and this audio cable.

However, I'm still having trouble figuring out what's going wrong, because I'm not getting the sound and picture up on the telly.

Self-confessed technophobe here, so if anyone can explain to me in the most basic techie language possible (basically treat me like an idiot!), I'd really appreciate it.

What I want to do:
    Hook my laptop (Sony Vaio) and my flatmate's MacBook Pro up to our LG TV to play films on QuickTime Player or VLC Player through the laptops.

What's going wrong:

I plugged everything in as normal. Plugged the HDMI cable into the HDMI1 (there are two) socket in back of TV. (I've also tried everything detailed below through the HDMI2 socket, no difference).

At first, it was just a blank screen that was coming up. I eventually managed to get the laptop display on the telly. Grand. I could surf the web and look up stuff on Google, etc., but any time I opened QuickTime player or VLC and maximised the screen, it was coming up as just a blank black screen.

Another problem:

When on the HDMI setting, although there's a picture and I can surf the web, there is no audio coming through. I've switched to the 'component' setting on the TV, and you can hear audio through that, but obviously there's no picture, just a blank black screen. I've tried plugging it into every bloody socket in the telly, but no dice.

Tearing my hair out here and will be very annoyed if I've spent €30 on cables that don't work!

If there's ANY light anyone could shed on this, I'd really appreciate it. Do I have to fiddle around with settings on my laptop or what? I've had a look and I really don't understand what I'm supposed to set it to....

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I can't help you with the Sony, but the bits you bought for the Mac appear to be correct.

On the Mac , plug the 3.5mm audio jack into the head-phone socket.

Under the Apple Menu (black Apple icon, top left of screen) open "System Preferences..." and click on "Sound".

Click on the "Sound Effects" and "Output" buttons and note what options are set. Make sure the Output "Volume:" sliders are set to maximum and make sure the "Mute" check-box is not selected. Make sure the "Balance" slider is centered.

Audio should now travel through audio cable.

Plug in the DVI adapter and connect the HDMI cable to the TV and Mac.

Under the Apple Menu open "System Preferences..." and click on "Displays". Click the "Detect Displays" button.

On the Mac rather than using Quicktime Player directly, could I suggest you use the remote control and Apple's Front Row or download and install Sony's Plex for Mac and for the Vaio and use a consistent interface on both machines

Advertisement