Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greens Are Gone - Good Riddance

Options
  • 23-01-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

All I have to say is thank God they're gone - Irish rural pursuits may be under less threat with them gone.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

This is a good thing... However as I pointed out to my firends they were a minority party in a coalition Government lead by Fianna a Fail, who at any stage could have said No to the greens, Fact is Fianna Fail politicians were so desperate to remain in power that they would sell their Mothers and wifes.

The Game season is coming to an end, but dont fear their is an open season on canvassers about to open, and by God, its as much fun as beating a bog for snipe and pheasant:;) sharpen your tongues Lads and get ready for some real blood sport....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

vixdname wrote: »
    All I have to say is thank God they're gone - Irish rural pursuits may be under less threat with them gone.:D

took them long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

good riddance, that the only power they may ever get from now on comes from their wind up torches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

rowa wrote: »
    took them long enough

I said it here last year, they would go the same way as the useless PD's, disappear like a fart in a fog, good riddance.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

The Greens are history, goodbye gormless gobsh1tes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Merging threads...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Its a stunt. They are trying to distance themselves from FF prior to the electon in a hope that people think/believe gormley in his statment that they can no longer work with FF.

The truth is they have gotten what they want. They have shuffled their party members around various positions so that all will receive full minister pension rights, they have inacted some of the most harmful policies with the backing of FF as (i've said before) a deflection process by FF from their own issues, but to mention a few.

I hope we all here and the public in general remember all they have done and not the hype being spoken today or to come over the next weeks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

So lets recap on the Greens achivements in Govt.:rolleyes:

a stag hunting ban,mercury filled lightbulbs,killing off commercial tax for rural fammlies one do it all vechicle,screwing the car tax up to unafforadable heights,faffing up the already bad traffic problems with bus lanes and cycle lanes, castles in the air ideals of windmills powering Ireland,talking about getting rid of the voting machine scrap,yet they are still sitting in sheds costing thousands per month,mismanaging a flood and two winters,Costing you ,me and everyone else a fortune in more taxes,still pushing for more stupid Green legislation..

Oh ! I'm sharpening me "stupid aul pencil" right now, as mr Bertram Ahern refered to them,and I intend to be in to vote with it a minute before poll close so I can say I was one of the last people that finally killed off Fianna Fail and Greens in Irish politics.:cool::D

I am soo looking forward to any politican showing up on my door!! Let the games begin!!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Good riddence to bad rubbish the S.O.C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

we'll see if the next gov. repeals any of their stupid leglislation :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Now is the time to put the squeeze on FG to do so Labour has said it wont but I do remmeber Des Crofton in the ISD writing that Fine Gael would. In Politics what was yesterday, was yesterday today is today, so be careful

Also was it Mr Deasy was never our friend and jumped on the populace scare mongering approach so loved of band stand politicians.

Just google his name with firearms after it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

They got in easy enough and had the power to change things. And with the way things are going it will/could be another hung election.
    SO again the greens could get back in to the govenment.

Just try as best as can to keep them from getting any seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hung Dail? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

I heard one of the Fine Gael lads on Newstalk this morning telling us they were talking with the greens at the minute about a coalition.

Mallards

mallards wrote: »
    I heard one of the Fine Gael lads on Newstalk this morning telling us they were talking with the greens at the minute about a coalition.

Mallards

What programme and time was that please Mallards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Greens strike me as backhanded enough to weasel their way in again.

I would count on them being gone just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

Mallards

I'm feeling very uneasy about this statement.

I'm feeling very uneasy about this statement.

Me too, but if they dont get votes they wont get in. A lot of people outside the hunting/shooting circle that voted green as a 2nd or 3rd preference are very angry that they went in with Fianna Fail.

Ringsends' incinerator isnt sorted. They were extremely mealy mouthed in all their dealings. I hope they are finished, but who would you prefer SF or the greens, the greens are overtly anti hunting the urban SF had a proposal in to ban coursing that was eventually pulled by Martin ferris.

Put the squeeze on and back Fine Gael, I actually think they will be our best bet, it will be like the 80's though, we will hate them after it, they said alot now hold them to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MACT1RE

I wish they had stayed on and continued to prop up Cowens government until the 11th of March as that would have caused maximum damage to the Green party in the elections. As it is, there'll be some gob****es who'll be saying they had morals in the end and finally walked.

who would you prefer SF or the greens
    Could I vote none of the above for that please?

As to Fine Gael, well, you know what they say - you'd be hard pressed to see light between FG and FF...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Me too, but if they dont get votes they wont get in. A lot of people outside the hunting/shooting circle that voted green as a 2nd or 3rd preference are very angry that they went in with Fianna Fail.

Ringsends' incinerator isnt sorted. They were extremely mealy mouthed in all their dealings. I hope they are finished, but who would you prefer SF or the greens, the greens are overtly anti hunting the urban SF had a proposal in to ban coursing that was eventually pulled by Martin ferris.

Put the squeeze on and back Fine Gael, I actually think they will be our best bet, it will be like the 80's though, we will hate them after it, they said alot now hold them to it

SF has quite some support and membership in rural areas. You only need to look at the local authorities where they have representation. As a consequence they should be a lot more careful about trying to railroad policies that are widely received as hostile by a lot of rural voters. I believe Martin Ferris' intervention after a Dublin motion at an ard fheis was carried has to be seen in that light.

Anyhow, be sharp at the door and vote wisely.

If the "watermelon"[Green outside,red inside] party AKA Greens get back in ,they should be known as "Mary Harneys" The last surviving member of the PDs.As there will be about that many left in the Dail as well.

I'd echo Sparks choice too,none of the above please,there isnt a single one of them that is leadership material or would make you want to trust them with running a Chimps tea party,not to mind a basket case of a country.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Sparks wrote: »
    Could I vote none of the above for that please?

As to Fine Gael, well, you know what they say - you'd be hard pressed to see light between FG and FF...

Agree, but labour said they wouldnt reverse the hunting bill (The only ones who have hinted they would was FG. Actually, would you trust any of them??

Either way its going to be an interesting time, especially with a British Citizen and MP running in Louth:D

I better stop now:rolleyes:

Didnt he resign as an MP last week or so ago??

So whats new??Hasnt here been one in the Aras for the last eight years!!:rolleyes:

Agree, but labour said they wouldnt reverse the hunting bill (The only ones who have hinted they would was FG. Actually, would you trust any of them??
    Would I trust the doorstep electoral promise of a person campaigning to be at best a backbencher TD in a Dail where the government is going to have a fairly large majority?

I'd sooner buy the Brooklyn Bridge from a guy living under it :D
    Either way its going to be an interesting time, especially with a British Citizen and MP running in Louth:D
    Not an MP anymore (which is ironic in and of itself because you can't resign as an MP, you have to take on a job for the Queen and then as her employee, you forfeit your MP-hood; so to run in the RoI, Gerry Adams had to agree to work for the Queen of England!).

As to interesting, well, it will be if Jean McConville's daughter runs against him, as it's rumoured she will...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Don't forget the likes of John Deasy from Fine Gael what **** he stirred on the licencing of hand gun's.

johngalway wrote: »
    What programme and time was that please Mallards?

It was on the Breakfast show, some time around 7.20 give or take ten minutes. Here is the link to the show. I won't get a chance until later to find out exactly when it was.
    Basically it was an interview with Labours Joan Burton and I'm not sure who the Fine Gael guy was, could have been Leo Varadkar. Whoever it was they are in the same constituancy as Joan Burton and he was getting a bit ratty with her over tax rises when he said they were talking with the greens. Not much was made of it during the interview, but it stood out like a sore thumb to me.

Mallards.

Starts around 11 minutes into Part three of the programme. Burton for Labour and Varadkar for Fine Gael.

FG are talking to the Greens in relation to getting the Finance Bill through this week, not in relation to any coalition.

Burton has a dig after the comment above from Varadkar, insinuating the Greens may support FG after the election "but, we don't know".

That's all that happened. Interview moves onto argy bargy about taxation, IMF etc, then moves onto Pat Cox.

FG position, to me reads clearly as getting rid of the Government by mustering votes in a no confidence in the Govt vote in the Dail, in which the Greens would be crucial. Burton for Labour was politicing with her remark, also showed up very weak not knowing her own policies that she was supposed to have written.

Thanks for clearing that up John, sorry for the confusion.

Mallards

• Advertisement

Thanks for clearing that up John, sorry for the confusion.

Mallards

No probs Mallards. It was for my own curiosity more than anything as that kind of talk struck me as decidedly odd.

Advertisement