Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant "popping" sound in Lusk

Options
  • 23-01-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Can anybody shed any light as to what the constant popping noise is? It's every 10/15 seconds and audible all over the village. I'm in Dun Emer and can hear it plain as day. Comes from the Skerries road direction .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Gas powered bird scarer in a field?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

shooting perhaps.

i think a lot happens this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Its the gas or wind powered bird scarers. Theyre all over the place out there. lusk, kinsealy, portmarnock etc. Drive ya mad they would :(

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Army firing range at Mosney?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

This morning in Rush about 8.30 there was a lot of shooting going on and later in the day I was in The Naul and saw quite a few out shooting.

The most likely cause of what you are hearing are gas powered Bird bangers. The birds have done serious damage to a lot of crops this year and some fields have 2 of these gas bangers especially up the North hill and the fields off Palmer Rd and Skerries Rd. So expect the sounds for another while or else we need a campaign to feed the birds all through our winter months

These photos was taken Christmas week up in The Leas, (back of Hayestown). There were hundreds of birds in one field chipping away to get through the frozen snow

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5284005168_f5426489ec.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Around this time there were reports of a lot of birds being found dead for the want of a few crumbs and water.

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5284009668_e3cdc020bc.jpg[/EMAIL]">

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Bird scarers. There's a lot of them around Rush aswell. I grew up around here and am used to them, but I have noticed they've been very prolonged the last few months - loads of them going off at all hours of the morning every day. There's not usually that many of them all at once. I thought for a while it might be shooting aswell, but it was at too regular intervals, and went on for too long into the day every day for it to be wholly people out shooting.

Funny you're only noticing them now, they've been going for a good few weeks round here.Annoying as hell when you want a bit of a snooze at weekends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

dan_d wrote: »
    Bird scarers. There's a lot of them around Rush aswell. I grew up around here and am used to them, but I have noticed they've been very prolonged the last few months - loads of them going off at all hours of the morning every day. There's not usually that many of them all at once. I thought for a while it might be shooting aswell, but it was at too regular intervals, and went on for too long into the day every day for it to be wholly people out shooting.

Funny you're only noticing them now, they've been going for a good few weeks round here.Annoying as hell when you want a bit of a snooze at weekends!

My earlier remark vanished I see:rolleyes: The mystery of boards.

Yes as LeoB said due to the snow the birds hadn't got much to feed on so any exposed crops were ate by the birds causing great damage. Thats why more than normal use of bangers this winter.

The shooting season was suspend over the Xmas but there is a shooting club that operates in Rush-Lusk area that does their own thing and isn't recognised by the hunting bodies so it wasn't too quiet out here.

Its would of those side effects you have to live with when living in a country area, like tractors on the roads in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

some of the bird scarers out the back of me here in rush, two of them are very close and start about 7.30 till about 6pm. they are a bit too close for me, they could be located further from the houses but dont think there is an alternitive that is as effective.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Ahhhhhhhh so thats what it is, I've been wondering for the last few weekends. I've been lying there listening to what sounds like gunshots or bangers miles away when the surrounding sounds have quietened down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Corsendonk wrote: »
    The shooting season was suspend over the Xmas but there is a shooting club that operates in Rush-Lusk area that does their own thing and isn't recognised by the hunting bodies so it wasn't too quiet out here.
    The ban on hunting was called by the department of the environment and applied to everyone. Those 'doing their own thing' were breaking the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I know the clubs my father is in in Rush/Lusk respected the ban for the Xmas period, it was lifted in the new year and I know one of the big farmers asked two of the clubs to come in and shoot the pigeons on his land (~3rd of Jan) that were decimating crops and assume that is still on the go?

Irish Halo wrote: »
    I know the clubs my father is in in Rush/Lusk respected the ban for the Xmas period, it was lifted in the new year and I know one of the big farmers asked two of the clubs to come in and shoot the pigeons on his land (~3rd of Jan) that were decimating crops and assume that is still on the go?

Pigeons are classed as vermin I think, they get a bounty that covers the cost of the cartridge. They have to cut off the heads to claim the bounty. Its a meat under used here.

I remember hearing that they now have to present the whole carcass for the bounty since some hunters in NCD decided to go on to a farmers land without permission and left a mess of cartridges and headless pigeons on his land.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭nosnagaoithe

Thanks all for the responses

@ dan_d : Indeed I have heard them for the last few months but I had bit my lip in the hope that it would subside :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

I live in Balrothery and I can constantly the guns in Courtlough Gun Club, beside the Man-o-War,,, could this be the popping noise you are hearing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Drive ya mad they would :(
    Think of how the poor birds feel :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

For those that are slightly put out by a bit of noise think how the farmers feel.
    There is a huge surplus of pigeons this year, the good summer produced bumper hatches and high survival rates plus a lot of birds migrated here when bad weather hit scotland, england and the north of ireland.
    Farmers crops have been wiped out, the bangers are barely having an effect at all.
    A lot of farmers will be seriously out of pocket.

bcmf wrote: »
    Think of how the poor birds feel :p

They have the same problem in South Afica but with baboons eating crops. They have tried using the bird bangers but the baboon either disconnects the gas bottle or sticks his fingers in his ears before the banger goes off. Very smart animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

There's money to be made on blowing up pigeons? My God, time to invest in a rifle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Army are up on Gormo firing range and have been for a number of days, this will continue regularly on and off for next while as different units come up to do their annual range practices. They can be heard up and down the coast so this is combined with the bird scarers and gun clubs to make it sound like a mini armagedon. lot of lead in the air round here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Thankfully the farmer closest to me uses a couple of big fake eagles to patrol his land! No noise and pretty cool to look at them gliding in the air and making swoops down to the ground when the wind changes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭danindub

Sorry to bring back the old thread, but here we go again ... 3 years later.

Any solutions? as I can't visually identify scarer nor the owner, I lodged complaint with local authority as well as EPA, waiting to hear back. The noise wakes me up in the morning and won't let me sleep in the evening. My partner is working nights, so basically can't sleep during the day after coming back home from work. That's nothing- being outside the noise sounds like someone is shooting in my back garden - extremely loud leaving opening window out of the question in terms of comfort (or having a conversation for that matter...).

I understand farmers need to protect their life-hood but what about my peace and quiet at home? This close to residential area audible bird scarers should not be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Were the farmers there before you moved into your home?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

danindub wrote: »
    Sorry to bring back the old thread, but here we go again ... 3 years later.

Any solutions? as I can't visually identify scarer nor the owner, I lodged complaint with local authority as well as EPA, waiting to hear back. The noise wakes me up in the morning and won't let me sleep in the evening. My partner is working nights, so basically can't sleep during the day after coming back home from work. That's nothing- being outside the noise sounds like someone is shooting in my back garden - extremely loud leaving opening window out of the question in terms of comfort (or having a conversation for that matter...).

I understand farmers need to protect their life-hood but what about my peace and quiet at home? This close to residential area audible bird scarers should not be allowed.

Once it's happening outside of 11pm -7am you won't get anything done.

Those are the "excessive noise laws" hours.

*edited for a misplaced "

kaahooters wrote: »
    Once it's happening outside of 11pm -7am you won't get anything done.

Those are the "excessive noise" laws hours.

I beg to differ:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html

Were the farmers there before you moved into your home?

Yes, there were. Bus scarers were not used until only few weeks before Christmas.

But that's like saying that it's ok for me to bang on my neighbours wall all day because I was in my house first...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

To be fair, bird-scarers are part & parcel of rural & semi-rural life. You get used to them after a while.

If the one you are hearing is as loud as you say it should be relatively easily located. Then I would suggest that you contact the owner of the land & ask him to adjust the timer on it - 7am to 7pm would be fairly normal for this time of year I'd say. It may also be possible for him to relocate it to another part of his land to lessen the impact to you.

To be fair, bird-scarers are part & parcel of rural & semi-rural life. You get used to them after a while.

If the one you are hearing is as loud as you say it should be relatively easily located. Then I would suggest that you contact the owner of the land & ask him to adjust the timer on it - 7am to 7pm would be fairly normal for this time of year I'd say. It may also be possible for him to relocate it to another part of his land to lessen the impact to you.

Well you see that's the thing- I really wouldn't be bothered, but this one seems to be literally pointed at my house. In fact after each "shot" i can hear it bouncing back off the houses further up the road and here it again (albait nowhere as loud). Using simple iphone app the noise peaks at just under 100 dB (!) with open window as the shot occur.

Sadly, between me and a field there are trees. Can't see through them.There are also bunch of mid-size fields with no houses by them so it's very hard to say which field is it or who does it belong to. Unless there is a way to find out from council etc?

Surely a) device should not be pointed at residential area, b) volume should be adjusted accordingly to the size of a field.

There are also some "guidelines" I found online in regards to using bird scarers, which include not using them before sunrise or after sunset, and firing more than 4 times an hour and not using them at weekends. If these were followed I would be a much happier man...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm amazed that it is still clocking near 100db with trees in between. I wish you well in getting this sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Sadly, between me and a field there are trees. Can't see through them.There are also bunch of mid-size fields with no houses by them so it's very hard to say which field is it or who does it belong to. Unless there is a way to find out from council etc?

Go have a walk at weekend, through the trees, and into the fields, if it's that loud, should be easy to find, looks like a cannon, with a gas tank attached.
    Then identify the farmer, locals will know who owns the land, and approach them. It maybe as simple as pointing it in the opposite direction, away from your home.

Don't go traipsing across any crops, of course, walk around the edge of the field, and remember it's still phesant season, so if you see a lad with a shotgun, don't panic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Where in lusk are you?

Advertisement