Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant "popping" sound in Lusk

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭danindub

micraX wrote: »
    Where in lusk are you?

The Forge. Off rathmore road. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Are you not more concerned about the smell from the sewage tanks across the road? The farmer is simply trying to protect his cabbage from pigeons. The reason it only started more frequently before Christmas was because all the winter weath amd barley in the area was struck so the grains weren't easily gotten so pigeons move on to the cabbage fields as it's easier pickings for them. He's just trying to protect his crop which hes Bern growing in the area for years, give him a break.

Are you not more concerned about the smell from the sewage tanks across the road? The farmer is simply trying to protect his cabbage from pigeons. The reason it only started more frequently before Christmas was because all the winter weath amd barley in the area was struck so the grains weren't easily gotten so pigeons move on to the cabbage fields as it's easier pickings for them. He's just trying to protect his crop which hes Bern growing in the area for years, give him a break.

What sewage tanks? I can't smell anything?

I do understand that but I'm sorry if I can't sleep that's not good enough reason, we have to live side by side. I also have a job I need to go to in order to put food on my table and I can't do that if I can't sleep or simply rest at the weekend in my own home. It's as simple as that and I don't think I'm asking for too much.

The thing is that there are guidelines as to use of bird scarers, including NOT firing them more after dark (!!!) or on weekends as well as not more than 4 times in an hour. Also , as I pointed out, they seem to be pointed in direction of my house (not every time - could be wind effect?). Just turn them around - should make A LOT of difference. Also, as far as my research goes, it's not efficient to have single scarer as birds get used to them quickly and he's better off trying different types throughout the week/month. Maybe less annoying type...

It sounds like the issue is very close to you - are you the one with the scarer? I'd love to get in touch with the owner, I'm sure we can help each other - would love to get in touch. Not excited at all about going through the whole EPA or FCC thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

You'll get the smell, and when you do you'll know all about it. Sorry to tell you pests don't take time off at weekend.
    I'm certain itd not ponied at your house and once its over 200 meters away it doesn't matter anyway. You not used to them yet? 3 around my house and I wouldn't blink if they go off.

Your now living in Lusk the vegetable growing heartland of north county Dublin, so bangers getting stuck behind a tractor and the strange smell of scallions around the green/church is everyday life.

Sorry to tell you pests don't take time off at weekend.
    Yes, but the respect for local community is also important. Remember, you don't live in the area on your own.

Let me just throw this leaflet here: http://www.nfuonline.com/assets/3390

Also, note that bird scarers are considered and subject to "noises from agricultural sources": http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Noise/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,18226,en.pdf

I also already proven that level of noise from the bangs is over 100 dB in the house which is above the appropriate level according to EPA.

Just set it to start later at the weekends. Not a big deal is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

danindub wrote: »
    I also already proven that level of noise from the bangs is over 100 dB in the house which is above the appropriate level according to EPA.

Is this proven with the iPhone app? Or have you also collected multiple readings with calibrated equipment? Those apps are not accurate at all.

I hope you get it sorted though. I had a similar issue with a dog barking all night. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Have you tried ipod + white noise.
    Or ear plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

If you know him and he has problems with pigeons ill gladly take care of them for him im licensed and insured if you want to pm me its no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Sounds like the timer is out of kilter on this it should not need to be used after dark. Get in touch with the farmer and explain the situation, the EPA will not be any help and the local authority will suggest you speak with the farmer too.

Advertisement