Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread Locked in After Hours....

Options
  • 23-01-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I wrote a thread in After Hours about the Padraig Harrington incident in Abu Dhabi

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056156425

I clearly stated that I posted it there as I was looking for the view of the Irish nation, not just people interested in Golf. Padraig winning could have been one of the few good news stories for Ireland so far in 2011. Thats why I wanted peoples opinions on the fact that a person can influence a major world event for their own armchair. It wasnt a Golf debate. It was a thread allowing anyone to air their opinion on the incident whether they followed Golf or not.

But Sharpshooter locked my thread. Suggested I go to the Golf forum. This is what is annoying me. Why the double standards. What topics are allowed in AH's? Why are there so any threads there on politics? Why are none of these locked? Why is there a thread on Jim Corr on the Late Late? Should that not be in the TV forum or is it left there because Jim Corr is an easy target for the After Hours regulars?

Bit of consistency would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have you contacted the moderators in question?

Each forum has it's own rules. The forum moderators enforce these rules and deem what is appropriate and not appropriate.

Personally, I would not think a golf thread is suitable for AH, but then again, I do not frequent that forum, so my opinion doesn't really count for much.

As for the other threads, such as politics, there is lots going on of late, so it is going to be an extremely popular topic. And chances are, the vast majority of people in AH are going to want to give their unique perspective on our illustrious leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

But it wasnt a Golf specific thread. It was looking at the incident from the point of the general public. Just look through the comments. It was getting plenty of feedback and most people airing their own opinions on it. They probably wouldnt have done this in the Golf forum if they felt their knowledge of the sport was limited so it was giving people another outlet to get involved in the debate.

I didnt contact the Mod who closed it because from what I have seen in After Hours if any member has a complaint they are usually told to take it to the Helpdesk. I just feel my article was unfairly locked. It was a topic other members seemed to enjoy discussing so why close it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

You say it wasn't a Golf specific thread yet you posted asking the general public in AHs for their opinions on what happened to Padraig Harrington.

I closed your thread leaving you a copy and paste of his own words as he saw it when he gave his interview.

I also left you a link to the Golf forum and informed you there was an ongoing discussion on what happened over there.

There are many sports forums on boards such as GAA, Golf, Soccer, American Football, Surfing, Horse racing and Boxing ect, in fact too many to mention, which is why we don't allow them in After Hours.

If we make an exception for your thread we open the gates for similar threads regarding the above sports.

I understand that you felt you wanted a wider discussion on the subject, but that is not what AHs is about where Sport is concerned.
    It was a thread allowing anyone to air their opinion on the incident whether they followed Golf or not.

How could someone give an informed opinion on whether the ball moved or not if they don't follow the sport?

How would they know whether it moved 2 or 3 dimples or even what a dimple was?

He wouldn't have been disqualified if he hadn't signed his card but he did, but what does that mean to an uninterested party?

I'm sorry if you feel the decision to close your thread was harsh, but it's something all After Hour mods agree on when it comes to Sporting threads.

There is a forum for them, but it's not AHs.

They probably wouldnt have done this in the Golf forum if they felt their knowledge of the sport was limited.

Could you not Pm the Mods of the Golf forum and ask about this, I am not familiar with that particular forum but if you feel that general discussion by people with only a passing interest is not welcomed they might take on board what you are saying and work something out?

As I said, I'm not familiar with the Golf forum so apologies to the Golf Mods if I overstepped the mark here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Sorry for the delay in approving your post SharpShooter.

I understand that you felt you wanted a wider discussion on the subject, but that is not what AHs is about where Sport is concerned.

How could someone give an informed opinion on whether the ball moved or not if they don't follow the sport?

How would they know whether it moved 2 or 3 dimples or even what a dimple was?

Jusk look at the thread itself. Look at all the people who got involved. The knew what had happened, why he was disqualified etc and offered their opinions on it. Tell me how many of these people have every once posted in the golf forum. Very few Im guessing. Padraig Harrington is one of the top sportsmen in this Country and hence the nation takes a particular interest in his progress. The thread was also looking at the ability people have to influence major events around the world from their own home.

I could accept that you dont want to allow discussion in After Hours on topic that have their own forums except for the fact that there is numerous threads on politics created every day in After Hours. Why are these allowed? There is a politics forum. No consistency. Why is there a thread going about Jim Corr on the Late Late when there is a TV forum? Please explain why these are allowed yet a general sports topic that was in most media across the country and caught the interest of most Irish people isnt allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Apologies now to bm365 :o I'm on holidays right now so not as active as usual.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bm365 wrote: »
    I could accept that you dont want to allow discussion in After Hours on topic that have their own forums except for the fact that there is numerous threads on politics created every day in After Hours. Why are these allowed? There is a politics forum. No consistency. Why is there a thread going about Jim Corr on the Late Late when there is a TV forum? Please explain why these are allowed yet a general sports topic that was in most media across the country and caught the interest of most Irish people isnt allowed?

99.999% of the threads in after hours could belong in another forum. If all of them were moved then there would be after hours. If none were moved then there'd be no other forums (or those forums would be much smaller as every one would just go to after hours because it gets more traffic). The politics and economics threads that are more prominent in the forum are there because it's something that is affecting most people in the forum, most people there would have an opinion on it and it's of great importance to most of the people in the forum. This is why these particular threads which would usually be moved are now allowed. The golf thread doesn't really fit into these criteria as such. It was a golf thread, about a golf issue that some people in the forum would want to discuss but not enough to give it that critical mass. By locking/moving in this instance we wouldn't be limiting the discussion massively (unlike a soccer discussion where most may not have access).

Thats fair enough AlmightlyCushion. While I dont necessarily agree with the reasoning of allowing of so many different political threads in After Hours; but at least you answered me. Unlike some. That was part of the original question I put to Hot Lips (Sharpshooter) and she ignored it. When I asked for an answer againshe just responded by saying she already answered my question and wouldnt be answering any more questions from me. But the question wasnt answered. If Mods arent prepared to do their job then maybe they should let someone else do it who will be helpful to members.

Anyways back to my issue. Just looking in AH today and I see threads like Is communion really Jesus' body and such. Why are these not moved to the religion forum where they belong? As I also highlighted earlier the Late Late/Jim Corr thread wasnt moved to the TV forum. Was this because that thread was nothing they an opportunity for Boardies to attack a slightly unwell and paranoid man?

Advertisement