Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Weather?

Options
  • 23-01-2011 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

If the general election gets moved forward to February 18th or February 25th what are the odds that we could have ice & snow on the ground?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

GSF wrote: »
    If the general election gets moved forward to February 18th or February 25th what are the odds that we could have ice & snow on the ground?

Quite high, I'd imagine..... rumour has it Bertie always used to favour May elections, probably for the comfort of the canvassers and the door-openers alike. As it is, standing on doorsteps haranguing the pols is going to cost us all a fortune in heating bills...

Wet and windy is more likely if it's in february or march but honestly,bar a time machine theres no way of knowing that far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Any excuse to throw more ice&snow into the discussion, eyh ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Are you hoping for ammunition for when they come knocking on the doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

muckish wrote: »
    Are you hoping for ammunition for when they come knocking on the doors?
    well they say that only the farmers and the pensioners are still supporting FF. If there is snow & ice the pensioners wont go out to vote in the same numbers.

• Advertisement

I don't know any farmer thinking of voting ff...down my way anyhow.
    Statements like that are as rubbish as saying theres a high likelyhood of snow on february 25th.
    They've no basis in fact.
    Now lets leave the politics to the politics forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

well they say that only the farmers and the pensioners are still supporting FF. If there is snow & ice the pensioners wont go out to vote in the same numbers.

Not if the farmers bring them to the polling stations in their tractors . . :P

But farmers aren't supporting FF or any other party any more than anyone else is, don't know where people have that idea from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

Not if the farmers bring them to the polling stations in their tractors . . :P

But farmers aren't supporting FF or any other party any more than anyone else is, don't know where people have that idea from.

Red C poll

FF 14% support overall

Aged 55+ 18% support

Dublin 10% - not many tractors here ;)
    Lenister excl Dublin 15%
    Munster 17% - lots of tractors ;)
    Connaught/ Ulster 16%

Red C poll

FF 14% support overall

Aged 55+ 18% support

Dublin 10% - not many tractors here ;)
    Lenister excl Dublin 15%
    Munster 17% - lots of tractors ;)
    Connaught/ Ulster 16%

That proves absolutely nothing at all, there are loads of farmers everywhere except dublin, all that proves is that dublin people support FF less than the rest of the country.Anyway, this is completely off topic, we should be discussing the complete lack of interesting weather at the moment . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

M.T. seems to have dropped his idea of the high, which is currently on an extended tour of Ireland the UK, eventually linking up with a siberian high. So it's hard to see a proper easterly or north easterly developing in February. Unless we see the polar vortex split in the next 7-10 days, then it's really difficult to see a return to severe cold in February. I could be wrong,though:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

M.T. seems to have dropped his idea of the high, which is currently on an extended tour of Ireland the UK, eventually linking up with a siberian high. So it's hard to see a proper easterly or north easterly developing in February. Unless we see the polar vortex split in the next 7-10 days, then it's really difficult to see a return to severe cold in February. I could be wrong,though:D

Up here in Ulster there's lots of people saying that they've heard that temperatures are going to drop below -20 in February. Nothing like that on the Met Office forecast, don't know how that yarn started.

Yeah someone posted a thread about it on AH, they thought it was a rumour started by the oil companies to increase sales. Which wouldn't make sense because when the cold eventually didn't arrive, people would still have the oil and not have to reorder as soon. . .it was quickly locked needless to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Even if theres 8 feet of snow outside I am voting. But there wont be. I think that the Atlantic will finally shift all those High Pressures and bring us some rain around election time.

I was wondering how people were going to vote so I set up an election blog here

Of course you can see that the title of it is already wrong coz of them changing the stupid date.:( but it would be interesting to see how people are voting so just set it up and maybe Ill keep updating with with bitesize bits of news.

Back to weather yes it will be cold for the next 2 or 3 weeks but I feel that the worst of this Winters Freeze is over us

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

Up here in Ulster there's lots of people saying that they've heard that temperatures are going to drop below -20 in February. Nothing like that on the Met Office forecast, don't know how that yarn started.

got it now it was in the daily mail.
    Freezing air that jumps the 'Arctic fence' is to blame for sub-zero winter

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1350409/Freezing-air-jumps-Arctic-fence-blame-sub-zero-winter.html#ixzz1C4T15A8m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Nuff said.

(Blows raspberry into his hand)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Freezing air that jumps the 'Arctic fence' is to blame for sub-zero winter

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1350409/Freezing-air-jumps-Arctic-fence-blame-sub-zero-winter.html#ixzz1C4T15A8m

In NY Times as well
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/science/earth/25cold.html?_r=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If the West Wing taught me anything it's that bad weather is good for the underdog. I'd say Fianna Fail are praying for an ice storm followed by a few feet of drifting snow.

Advertisement