Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog constipation

• 23-01-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

just wondering does anyone know what to give a constipated dog to make him go. He cant go for a few days now. need advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Liquid paraffin does the trick! Give him half a teaspoon in his food a day to begin with. If he doesn't shift, then twice daily. If after a couple of days, then a trip to the vet would be in order I'm afraid.

Once he has a regular habit, have you tried putting psyllium husk in his food? I have a Shih Tzu who while he never had a problem going, has had problems with his anal glands. Psyllium adds bulk and makes it easier to go. Since then, touch wood, we've had no further problems. We give our fella two good pinches of husk (which looks like powder) a day. You can get it in Holland & Barrett, but it is very expensive, so we got ours online. Make sure he has plenty of water to hand which will help soften his stools.

Give him some brown rice as well as his meat. Adds bulk too!

Hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mistymaud

Half a teaspoon would be okay for something the size of a Shih Tzu but if you are talking big dog then you would be going up to a tablespoon.

Also if this has been going on for a couple of days already then maybe he needs to see a vet somewhat sooner.

On top of that of course you need to have some idea of what has caused the constipation in the first place? Did he have access to too many bones for instance?

You could, if you don't have any liquid paraffin to hand, try giving him the same dosage of vegetable oil tonight. Hopefully you would then see by the morning if it has shifted him any and decide whether or not to let the vet take a look at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please bring this poor dog to the vet. Whatever about a day or so, but sounds like there is something more going on that needs a vets attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Mistymaud wrote: »
    Half a teaspoon would be okay for something the size of a Shih Tzu but if you are talking big dog then you would be going up to a tablespoon.

I did not know the size of the dog, nor do I know how he'll react to LP. That's why I suggested half a teaspoon to begin with...

Advertisement