Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is it legal to use a car horn?

Options
  • 23-01-2011 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Just wondering if there are certain situations in which it is legal/illegal to use a car horn?

I've had several incidents, while cycling around the city, where one driver has beeped at another right beside me, startling the crap out of me and nearly taking me off the bike!

I think people may actually be delusional enough to think they are making the roads safer or traffic move faster by laying into their horns but it's much more likely to cause an accident.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TBH you shouldn't be on the road without having an understanding of the rules for all users.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,431 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

TBH you shouldn't be on the road without having an understanding of the rules for all users.

That's not a very realistic statement. There are rules specific to different types of vehicles such as the different speed limits that apply to buses and trucks, you seem to be suggesting that I shouldn't take my regular car on to the road unless I know all the rules for all type of vehicles - hardly practical I would have thought.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

coylemj wrote: »
    That's not a very realistic statement. There are rules specific to different types of vehicles such as the different speed limits that apply to buses and trucks, you seem to be suggesting that I shouldn't take my regular car on to the road unless I know all the rules for all type of vehicles - hardly practical I would have thought.

unless the use of english has changed recently "an understanding" doesn't mean ALL

However,
    Since you have a car I assume you have a license, and if it's an Irish license then you almost certainly filled in form D201 and signed the bit at the bottom (section 28) that says "I have a satisfactory knowledge of the Rules of the Road." after reading the warning about section 115 of the Road Traffic Act 161 , No 24 of 1961 about penalties that apply for furnishing false or misleading information.

It doesn't say satisfactory for the type of vehicle ...You have to know the rules that govern behaviour of other road users that you interact with. because you have to know that trucks take longer to stop, that you have to yield to people in charge of animals, that trucks aren't allowed to use the outside lane of a motorway (if you see one there - something is amiss). You have to know the rules that govern behaviour of other road users that you interact with. Again if you see a moped with L plates and a passenger then again something is amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

unless the use of english has changed recently "an understanding" doesn't mean ALL

However,
    Since you have a car I assume you have a license, and if it's an Irish license then you almost certainly filled in form D201 and signed the bit at the bottom (section 28) that says "I have a satisfactory knowledge of the Rules of the Road." after reading the warning about section 115 of the Road Traffic Act 161 , No 24 of 1961 about penalties that apply for furnishing false or misleading information.

It doesn't say satisfactory for the type of vehicle ...You have to know the rules that govern behaviour of other road users that you interact with. because you have to know that trucks take longer to stop, that you have to yield to people in charge of animals, that trucks aren't allowed to use the outside lane of a motorway (if you see one there - something is amiss). You have to know the rules that govern behaviour of other road users that you interact with. Again if you see a moped with L plates and a passenger then again something is amiss.

I think your just trying to be smart here, if that was the case they would have questions such as the speed limit for hgv's on the car theory test. They dont as someone driving a car does not need to know that. Might be helpful if they did but its not required.

• Advertisement

So why are there six different theory tests?

http://theorytest.ie/english/driver-theory-test/test-types.php

a - so they can make more money , bus drivers tea breaks, different regulations re carrying passengers and trailers

b - irrelevant you sign the form AFTER the test and before you get a license

c - you still have to know the hand signals that other road users use
    for example when a taxi has it's hazard lights on , the driver MUST use hand signals to indicate a change in direction. The hand signals are different for cyclists.

this is one of the things that puts me off cycling, the number of people out there who are clearly ignorant of the basic rules of the road, stuff like keeping left and indicating on roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dath

mathepac wrote: »

Thanks for the replies but this seems to be more of a best practice than a reference to the law.

To give a specific example that I'm sure we've all seen:

If a driver at a traffic light which has recently turned green beeps at the car in front to move, when there is no risk to safety involved, is that driver committing an offence?

(I know the driver not moving may be guiltly of impeeding traffic, which you can fail your test for, but lets not assume two wrongs make a right)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Not obeying the rules of the road can result in a prosecution under section 51, 52 or 53 of the road traffic acts.

k_mac wrote: »
    Not obeying the rules of the road can result in a prosecution under section 51, 52 or 53 of the road traffic acts.

or section 47 or 48 or 49 or 54 or 55 or any number of bye-laws, it depends on what regulation you're in breach of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

dath wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies but this seems to be more of a best practice than a reference to the law.

To give a specific example that I'm sure we've all seen:

If a driver at a traffic light which has recently turned green beeps at the car in front to move, when there is no risk to safety involved, is that driver committing an offence?

(I know the driver not moving may be guiltly of impeeding traffic, which you can fail your test for, but lets not assume two wrongs make a right)

1 - You cannot sound an audible warning device between 11.30pm and 7am in a 60kmph or less zone.

2 - It is an offence to sound your audible warning device while your vehicle is not in motion, unless you are doing so for safety (telling someone hurry up is not safety related) or it is an alarm fitted to prevent theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

k_mac wrote: »

Only if it concerns manner of driving and is careless/dangerous etc., not simpliciter for any breach.

Advertisement