Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What timber too use???

• 23-01-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Looking to make outdoor storage box for gas cylinder what would the best timber to use for it. I suppose the obvious answer is marine ply or even wbp but experience with wbp is it rots after couple of years. The other problem with plwood is its not that easy on the eye looking for something thats reasonably attractive. What other timber choices have I?? Don't really want to spend that much on it either am I missing something obvious thanks in advance for replies.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

toshy321 wrote: »
    Looking to make outdoor storage box for gas cylinder what would the best timber to use for it. I suppose the obvious answer is marine ply or even wbp but experience with wbp is it rots after couple of years. The other problem with plwood is its not that easy on the eye looking for something thats reasonably attractive. What other timber choices have I?? Don't really want to spend that much on it either am I missing something obvious thanks in advance for replies.

Larch wood or cedar wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

what about making it out of decking boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 baz30

Second that about decking boards... at least clad it with these and make the structure from standard treated legnths of 4" x 2"

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭toshy321

Thanks for replies can you buy cedar wood in large sheets say 8x2 or 8x4 have use the t & g stuff before allright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

+1 with the suggestions on the decking. Made a seat from decking a while back to do exactly what you're trying to do. They had a gas cooker with the cylinder out the back and the decking seat made the storage a garden feature rather than an eyesore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

frame it with 2x3.

Clad with ship lap

ply wood top with weatherproof felt.

Just like a garden shed.

Would look better than a plywood box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Not sure if they have this in Ireland?

chineestwinbetonplex.jpg

Its a sort of plywood. Great for the outdoors. Very popular here.:) We call it betonplex. Out of curosity what is it called i Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

Not sure we have a version of Betonflex here - it is a marine plywood covered in an epoxy coating making it extremely resistant to water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Not sure we have a version of Betonflex here - it is a marine plywood covered in an epoxy coating making it extremely resistant to water.

Too dry here.....no demand for it...:)

Advertisement