Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering changing my HMR

Options
  • 23-01-2011 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

I feel like a change.

Currently got a Sako Quad with HMR barrel. Any out of the ordinary choices out there (that are also accurate :pac: ).

I know there'll be CZ, Annie, Marlin available.

What weight do the Savage Accutriggers break at, are their HMR's good or mediocre?

If a heavy barrel (*sighs*) is more accurate, I'm not totally against the idea.

Hmm, decisions, decisions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

I have a Savage HMR with heavy barrel, 3/8" groups at 100 yds if I can steady myself, much more accurate than I am :D Mine doesnt have accutrigger, dont know what it breaks at but nice and crisp.

Why are you changing the Quad...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

If you have a quad allready would you not be downgrading if you went to a marlin or cz?i know cz are great .22s not sure what there like in 17hmr though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I just fancy a change to be honest, just have that feeling at the moment. The stock on my .223 is the same as the Savage, so that's what get's my interest in it.

When I first went for a rimfire I had my mind set on a CZ American in .22lr, but got the Quad in .22lr instead. Everyone is always saying they've got great barrels.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Quad, but I fancy something new now!

Not gone on the Marlins in fairness, held a few in gunshops and they didn't do anything for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

It might be worth having a look at a Ruger 77/17 All-Weather.
    Very nice grey laminate stocks- very good quality rifles, lovely balance.
    Also integral scope mounts and you get a Volquartsen seer for about 10bucks that makes the trigger a joy.

I neglected the Ruger alright, though it's got a whopping 90 degree bolt lift compared to the Sako's 50 degree and Savages 54 degree (I think).

Though I do like the safety and magazine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

personally john, if i had a sako quad, i'd be considering the anschutz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

i have the heavy barrell ss savage with the thumbhole stock and accutrigger i like it, its very very accurate clover leaf groups at 100 yards no problem as a previous poster said its better than i am lol i got it threaded and have a sak mod on it i should have got the barrell shortened and may still do that
    trigger on mine is about 2.5lbs
    be carefull of the rugers i have a 77 in 223 the trigger was terrible it's now got a timmney in it and that transforms it

johngalway wrote: »
    I neglected the Ruger alright, though it's got a whopping 90 degree bolt lift compared to the Sako's 50 degree and Savages 54 degree (I think).

Though I do like the safety and magazine.

Yeah it does have 90degree lift, it was my first bolt-action and now things like the a-bolt feel strange!

The Ruger has by far and away the best magazine, I don't think I could put up with a mag that wasn't flush to the stock... When you get used to the best, you dont wanna go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

My advice is if you have a good rifle hold on to it.
    If you really want to change I think the anschutz would be your best bet.
    I had a ruger vt in 204 but wanted a change also. Got a sako varmit but it was not as accurate as the ruger so I changed again to a remington vssf.
    Still have the remmy but its still not as accurate as the ruger was.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

John if its the thumbhole stock your after cz are now making a 452 with a thumbhole stock. you could also go for the 16 inch barrel and it would be a sweet setup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

This would be my choice John if I was stepping up.

God only knows what they cost though.

That or one of the Savage rimfires. They look niiiiiiiiiiiice

Has anyone experience with Weirauch rifles? HW 66 preferably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

thats a very heavy anchutz,
    if i was upgrading from a sako i'd go for one of these
    http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/854c644567c03f8994935920/ANSCHUTZ+1517+ZG+Heavy+Barrel+Thumbhole/
    or maybe a weihrauch, i have one in .22 hornet and the rimfires getgreat reviews on the english forums
    http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/314bdae79ed3fb5811453367/WEIHRAUCH+HW60J/

the one rifle i really want to trade my cz in for is a finnfire but they only come in .22 i think

They are supposed to be as good as anschutz. Was thinking about buying that model myself but thought it would be too heavy for hunting.
    I also think the anschutz thumbhole would be the way to go.
    If you get something else and its not as accurate as your sako you will be dissapointed

zeissman wrote: »
    If you get something else and its not as accurate as your sako you will be dissapointed

I know but sure that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

Friend of a Friend has a Weirauch, I might see if I can get a look at it next weekend. I'd bet it's not the above model though.

As for the Annie, my problem is funds, what ever I do, or don't do, needs to come out of existing stock, meaning the Sako!

My uncle got a Weireuch in .22lr a few months ago. He reckons it's the greatest thing ever made!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Maybe a change in stock on the sako would be an option john. I know manners make a nice tacticool stock for them im sure you could prob get a thumbhole one made up with one of the american manufacturers

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

Browning T-bolt ? looks good, feels good and is super quick to cycle.
    10shot mag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Xplor.er wrote: »
    Browning T-bolt ? looks good, feels good and is super quick to cycle.
    10shot mag.

My brother just got one of these. What a sweet rifle :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 6.5x55

Here's one thats a bit leftfield
    Cooper rifles ''jackson squirrel Rifle in .17hmr'' wont be easy to locate one over here but they look the business and supposedly shoot well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Straight swap for a CZ 16" Heavy Barrel c/w mod. Trigger has been modified and breaks clean.

I'm in Clare come anytime to try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

I have a 66j in .22. It is marginally better than a cz but not in the same class as an anschutz 1710. All in all a v good rifle if a bit heavy. It has an adjustable trigger, good bluing, part textured walnut stock and a really silky bolt. Recommended, pay about 700-750 new.
    ps I had a Quad in HMR, nothing wrong with it - but didn't like it!

I was looking at the weirauch hw66 rifles in mc cloys in toome.
    I really liked it. stock feels very good and it has a great 2 stage trigger.
    stock is a lot chunkier than my cz varmit.
    Im seriously thinking about getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

pm sent on possibility .

Advertisement