Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal wall insulation

• 23-01-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I am looking to insulate the internal exterior walls in my house. Some of the walls have been drylined by the previous owner but these just seem to be plasterboard with no insulation behind it. Obviously these would be coming down and replaced with the appropriate insulated plaster board. Anyway I was wondering what types people find best. The thinner the better in my case. The less internal floor space I lose the better. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

This high performance dry-lining solution might be along the lines of what you are looking for:

http://www.insulation.kingspan.com/ireland/dry_lining.htm

Insulation values would be maybe twice that of fibreglass, rockwool or expanded polystyrene (e.g. Aeroboard) - so you would only need half the thickness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mark O'Sullivan

I always use kingspan insulated boards, I generally use 72mm boards on internal external Walls, also fix them to the Walls using plastic wall plugs approx €8 per bag of 100 (9-12 per board) as this stop the cold spots you wod generally get by using the metal fixings although I much prefer the metal ones; it's a matter of principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

What sort of price would you be looking at per sq metre for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mark O'Sullivan

A 72mm board is 2.8m sq, price usually about €28 per board, shop around though I found about €300 diff between three diff suppliers just to insulate a two bed apt, heiton buckley are fairly competitive, but just play one off the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I have drylined walls, not sure if there is any insulation in behind them, I plan on drilling a few sample holes to see the depth and whats in there (I think nothing)
    Just wondering, rather than ripping the whole lot down can I build up a new frame over the existing plaster put something like kingspan in and re cover in plasterboard/foil backed plaster board?

Any ideas where I can get the U-value of blocks and other materials so I can calculate how much my existing structure has and how much I would have to add to bring it up to an acceptable standard.

I only plan on doing outside walls/not those adjoining the attached house/neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Merch wrote: »
    I have drylined walls, not sure if there is any insulation in behind them, I plan on drilling a few sample holes to see the depth and whats in there (I think nothing)
    Just wondering, rather than ripping the whole lot down can I build up a new frame over the existing plaster put something like kingspan in and re cover in plasterboard/foil backed plaster board?

Any ideas where I can get the U-value of blocks and other materials so I can calculate how much my existing structure has and how much I would have to add to bring it up to an acceptable standard.

I only plan on doing outside walls/not those adjoining the attached house/neighbours.

this question might fly better up in C+P. I dont post there as they dont like my candour:)

IMO, u best take off original for the following reasons, which are designed to let u explore the issue further.

The 2 key issues here are the temperature gradient across the wall and the dew point, which is related to moisture content in the air.
    The inner face will be say + 20C and the outer face say 0

Therefore the temp gradient is the line showing the temp drop across the structure.
    Say the temp on the inner face of the existing dry lining is 10C and the dew point is 11C, this means that the moisture in the damp air that passes through the wall from in to out will condense and cause mould etc

If the existing PB is foiled backed than it will act as a moisture barrier and cause more issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

The first question is what type of walls are they?????. Drylining is totally unsuitable for walls that need to breath. i.e. stone builds. The next question is why was it drylined?. Drylining was usually done to cover up a problem like dampness.

Advertisement