Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 407 engine fan problem

Options
  • 23-01-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas in the problem i'm having with my 2005 1.6 HDI SR. Occasionally after switching the engine off the fan will continue running for anything between 5/10 mins. After driving it today i left the car but the fan was still running, i came back and the car wouldn't start!!! Bought the car about 6 months ago and a few weeks after a warning came up "risk of particle filter blocking" brought it back to the garage (main Peugeot dealer) as it was under warranty, their mechanic told me something like the message was a computer error and that it wouldn't show again. He also said that the fan running was normal. Anyway does anyone know what the problem mite be?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

This is normal as the cooling fan is energised to cool the dpf when a dpf regeneration is interrupted by stopping the engine.
    What mileage have you on the car...?
    With the engine failing to start i'd suspect the battery as the cooling fan on these are 150watts and can drain the battery very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭McGaz23

there is 123k km on the clock, what sort of fix is there for the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

Contact peugeot, i think theres a ecu upgrade for that problem.

McGaz23 wrote: »
    there is 123k km on the clock, what sort of fix is there for the problem?

As beam99 has said there is a engine download that shortens the running on time of the fan.
    The dpf on these usally needs looking at around 100-120k mls + the additive topped up.
    If the car has its original battery (+4 years) then I'd replace it.
    You don't want to be left stranded somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Its defiantly the norm that those fans run for up to 10minutes sometimes when the ignitions turned off so I doubt very much that's your problem. Its possible your battery is shot.

Have it tested at an advanced pitstop or somewhere for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

Had this problem with mine about a year ago. First of all more than likely the battery is dead after running the fan. The same thing happened to me twice, obviously getting stranded somewhere wasn't that fun. Best bet is to leave the engine running if you can when you come to a stop and the fan is on. This will ensure the battery doesn't drain.

The fans still comes on from time to time. I can put it down to 3 reasons.

It usually comes on after long journeys cause of the heat so i wouldn't worry about the fan being on if you are doing long journeys.

Excessive acceleration seams to turn it on and driving with high revs. Don't know why but some times coming from work it comes on at thats only a 5km drive so i'm putting it down to acceleration.

Last reason is that the car could be low on fluid for the DPF. You should notice power loss aswell if this is the case. Driving around without enough fluid can cause a part in the DPF to melt and the fan will come on constantly to cools this down.

The reason why the fan runs on high speed because the dpf regeneration was interrupted...low dpf fluid will not cause the fan to run at high speed.
    if possible as cozzie55 said leave the engine running...:)
    If you still have warranty then i'd be after the garage to top up with eloys fluid and reset the dpf system.

Row wrote: »
    The reason why the fan runs on high speed because the dpf regeneration was interrupted...low dpf fluid will not cause the fan to run at high speed.
    if possible as cozzie55 said leave the engine running...:)
    If you still have warranty then i'd be after the garage to top up with eloys fluid and reset the dpf system.

warranty is just out (days) but will ring him tomorrow to chance getting it done. I was wondering is there how much would it cost roughly to get it topped up and reset if he wont do it? can you tell me why the dpf regeneration is interrupted/is there a cause for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

warranty is just out (days) but will ring him tomorrow to chance getting it done. I was wondering is there how much would it cost roughly to get it topped up and reset if he wont do it? can you tell me why the dpf regeneration is interrupted/is there a cause for it?

The DPF regeneration is usually interupted if the DPF is getting constantly blocked due to short stop/start trips or city driving. If the DPF regeneration process cannot complete then soot builts up in the DPF until the system is totally blocked, the car will then become very sluggish and undriveable. At that stage either a forced DPF regeneration cylcle is attempted by the garage or if that fails you are looking at a replacement DPF.

The additive called Eolys cost me around €200 to fill from a main dealer when I had a Volvo S40 with the same engine as the 407.

can you tell me why the dpf regeneration is interrupted/is there a cause for it?

Because you stopped the car durning a dpf regen...:)

When the soot level gets to around 80% and differential pressure is around 80-100mbar the engine ecu will activate a dpf regen asap,
    When the dpf is in this state it monitors the how much fuel is in the tank..what speed the car is driving at e.g over 50 mph and when happy it will
    activate a regeneration.
    but if you stop the car 2 miles down the road then the regen is interupped and the fan is energised to cool down the dpf which can get up over 500 degs C.
    sometimes its impossible to prevent a dpf interruption as your not going to drive an extra 5 mls to complete a regen and burn extra diesel....:eek:
    if so then this really defeats the purpose...:)

As bazz26 has said if the car is doing alot of short journeys it may not regenerate correctly as it needs to be driven on an open road every 2-300 mls so it will regenerate the dpf.

As for the additive it usally costs around €140 for 3 litres of eloys fluid + topping up + resetting the system.
    Maybe try your case and get the garage to top up the additive for free..:cool:
    If the don't post your location and maybe some of the tec lads on here maybe able to help of...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 superbad

I've a 04 Peugeot 407 1.6Hdi and I've noticed the fan staying on as well after I turn off the ignition. It also failed to start a few times and I think it was because the fan was draining the battery as previously suggested I've since got the battery replaced (Friday last) and it hasn't happened since. Since I've read this thread I've wondered about the DPF regeneration as on certain occasions going from 2nd to 3rd gear I've noticed a bit of a lag in power, it happens very quickly and than recovers. I'm just wondering would the DPF fluid need topping up?

superbad wrote: »
    I've a 04 Peugeot 407 1.6Hdi and I've noticed the fan staying on as well after I turn off the ignition. It also failed to start a few times and I think it was because the fan was draining the battery as previously suggested I've since got the battery replaced (Friday last) and it hasn't happened since. Since I've read this thread I've wondered about the DPF regeneration as on certain occasions going from 2nd to 3rd gear I've noticed a bit of a lag in power, it happens very quickly and than recovers. I'm just wondering would the DPF fluid need topping up?

Low dpf fluid will not cause any loss of power....I'd suspect a sticking egr valve.
    These should be cleaned every 20k mls or so as the get blocked up with
    soot and can cause powerloss/hesitation problems around 1800-2000 rpm.

The additive on these usally need topping up around 100-120k mls and
    normally will bring up a "low additive" fault...Its better getting them topped up before this warning pops up.
    During a dpf regen the engine can run alittle lumpy also as it double injects fuel into the clylinders to increase the temp within the dpf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 superbad

Its only at 78k miles so that might not be it so. I just had it serviced it when I bought recently so I hope they would have looked at the EGR. The last car I had my a lot of EGR/exhaust problems so hope I don't have anymore. I might get it checked again.
    Thanks for the help

superbad wrote: »
    Its only at 78k miles so that might not be it so. I just had it serviced it when I bought recently so I hope they would have looked at the EGR. The last car I had my a lot of EGR/exhaust problems so hope I don't have anymore. I might get it checked again.
    Thanks for the help

Theres a guide on cleaning the egr valve here...
    http://www.407owners.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1797
    It cost £10 per year to join but there are plenty of useful guides on there..;)

Hi
    Its been a while since I posted here but just wanted to update on this in case anyone was following it. I ended had been talking to a friend who looked into it and found out that there was a software upgrade available for this problem. I brought the car to a main dealer and for about 90ish Euro they upgraded the software. that was about 2-3 months ago and since then the fan hasn't given any problems. its occasionally runs after the engine is turned off but nothing like the speed it used to or for as long as it used to. fingers crossed problem is solved

• Registered Users Posts: 1 samuely55

Hello all, i have a peugeot 407saloon, 2007 model. I am having following problems;

1. radiator cooling fan stops working sometimes. It starts working once when i try to rotate it by a stick or so. Long time before it was making loud gring like noise when it starts working, but that was solved when i applied wd40 on it.
    2. the engine management fault comes on, sometimes accompanied with speed control fault. Normally, with only the engine management fault message and light, the engine runs smooth. But when the speed control fault comes on, the engine idles at 1000rpm oor a little more but does not accelerate more than 1500 with gas pedal fully pressed. Bot faults go away after turning ignition off and a restart, sometimes it requires me to put off/ on engine several times before the fault go off.

3. my rear left light cluster stopped working. none of the lights are working there, brake, parking light, fog light, and indicator light.

i know it is too much to ask, but if anyone can help, please do. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hulionita

Hello!
    I have a problem with cooling fan driver on my Peugeot 407. It is spinning all the time. Recently I found information about new ECU for Peugeot, Citroen fans. That people repair their fans just replacing old ECU with a new factory made one... Has anyone heard anything about it????

hulionita wrote: »
    Hello!
    I have a problem with cooling fan driver on my Peugeot 407. It is spinning all the time. Recently I found information about new ECU for Peugeot, Citroen fans. That people repair their fans just replacing old ECU with a new factory made one... Has anyone heard anything about it????

This is normal....Turn off the aircon and see if it stops..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hulionita

Row wrote: »
    This is normal....Turn off the aircon and see if it stops..;)

Ha-ha-ha! It's spinning even when the aircon is turned off!!

hulionita wrote: »
    Ha-ha-ha! It's spinning even when the aircon is turned off!!

Get it diagnostic check carried out to see if there are any fault codes logged...?
    Could be coolant temp sensor fault.
    Above are you talking about the engine ecu..?

• Advertisement
Advertisement