Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very low download speed

Options
  • 23-01-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭

We had Eircom 1Mb broadband for about 2 years before I moved out. I recently moved home after 6 months, so we got Eircom Broadband again, this time going for a 3Mb package. Everything was okay for the first week. However, last Saturday, the DSL light on the modem started flashing. For the following few days, most of the time I wasn't able to get on the internet, and if I could, it didn't last long. The phone line also began crackling.

After contacting Eircom, they sent out a technician. He fixed a wire outside the house which stopped the crackling, and the internet was working when he left. However, about an hour after he left, the DSL light began flashing again. He had to come out the next day and the internet has been working since.

However, the speeds I am now getting are ridiculous. I did the speed test on your website and even though I am paying for 3Mb, I am getting 0.15Mb. I understand that since I live out in the country, I would probably never get 3Mb anyway, and was told that previously. The reason I went for the 3Mb package was mainly for the 30Gb download allowance. However, My internet was never this slow before. Not in the two years I had broadband before, and not in the week before I began having trouble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I received a text saying my issue has now been resolved, but even though my internet is now working, it is not working properly. The current download speed I am getting is ridiculous compared to half of what I should be getting and had been getting.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You need to get your line speed "reset". When you called eircom, they must have limited your speed to 160/128 as a troubleshooting aid.

Could you go to 192.168.1.254 in Internet explorer and post here the line stats that you find? Specifically line attenuation and DSL signal margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

At work at the minute so won't be able to properly do that until this evening, but from what I remember last night, yes it was at 160/128

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Barrington wrote: »
    We had Eircom 1Mb broadband for about 2 years before I moved out. I recently moved home after 6 months, so we got Eircom Broadband again, this time going for a 3Mb package. Everything was okay for the first week. However, last Saturday, the DSL light on the modem started flashing. For the following few days, most of the time I wasn't able to get on the internet, and if I could, it didn't last long. The phone line also began crackling.

After contacting Eircom, they sent out a technician. He fixed a wire outside the house which stopped the crackling, and the internet was working when he left. However, about an hour after he left, the DSL light began flashing again. He had to come out the next day and the internet has been working since.

However, the speeds I am now getting are ridiculous. I did the speed test on your website and even though I am paying for 3Mb, I am getting 0.15Mb. I understand that since I live out in the country, I would probably never get 3Mb anyway, and was told that previously. The reason I went for the 3Mb package was mainly for the 30Gb download allowance. However, My internet was never this slow before. Not in the two years I had broadband before, and not in the week before I began having trouble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I received a text saying my issue has now been resolved, but even though my internet is now working, it is not working properly. The current download speed I am getting is ridiculous compared to half of what I should be getting and had been getting.

Thank you

Hi Barrington,

Are you still having issues with your broadband?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Barrington,

Are you still having issues with your broadband?

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

Yes. The broadband is working, but the speeds I'm getting are far slower than what I was previously getting. I didn't do a speed test before the trouble started, but it was noticeably quicker when downloading items from iTunes etc

Mark,

Yes. The broadband is working, but the speeds I'm getting are far slower than what I was previously getting. I didn't do a speed test before the trouble started, but it was noticeably quicker when downloading items from iTunes etc

Hi Barrington,

Ok, can you private message ne with your eircom telephone number and I will chase that up for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Pm sent. Thanks

Pm sent. Thanks

Hi Barrington.

I got your details thaks. I will look into your speed issues. It may be a few days before I get back with an update.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement