Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rec: Banned from Cons & Planningby muffler

• 23-01-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been banned from 3 forums now

1st. Prices/Costs - I questioned a mods decision on thread Fair enough my error I do Apologize but i still believe that original decision was not only Unwarranted but also Overzealous, Over the top and finally maybe deserving an infraction at a stretch but an outright ban? The chap was merely stating that you pay peanuts to expect monkeys albeit not in the most polite tone ive ever heard but hardly what i'd describe as abusive

2nd Reneweable energy forum. Banned my Muffler for

They have a thread there asking regular users to identify themselve privately to mods, I understand this
    heres my reply to that
    ---Quote (Originally by SC024)---
    Is there anywhere the mods have to declare what their interests are? If so could you please point me towards it & if not i'd like to know why ?

Thanks
    ---End Quote---

Which got me another Ban for derailing another thread??

Finally i put up a new thread in const & planning forum

asking the same question so as not to "derail" another thread
    Another attempt to derail a thread.

Which earned me the following response

You have been banned from Construction & Planning for the following duration:

Permanent

for the following reason:

Causing too much trouble and appears to have invoked some form of vendetta.

I'd very much appreciate it if someone could have a reasonable level headed look at this. I get the impression its lanking in cons & planning

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

I know your probably under pressure / busy with other stuff but I would appreciate it if someone could look into this or at least give me a response...

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I'll take a look at this ... leave it with me for the minute; I'll have to read over your posts / threads and also speak with the mod in question.
    SC024 wrote: »
    I'd very much appreciate it if someone could have a reasonable level headed look at this. I get the impression its lanking in cons & planning

I don't understand this bit ... is there a typo :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I suspect that was meant to read as "reasonable level headedness lacking in Construction & Planning".

trout wrote: »
    I'll take a look at this ... leave it with me for the minute; I'll have to read over your posts / threads and also speak with the mod in question.

Thanks I do appreciate it

I don't understand this bit ... is there a typo :confused:

Yes this is a typo, should read "lacking" My apologies

OK ... I've read over the threads/posts in question.

This is what I see so far:

For the first ban, you challenged a mod decision (made one week previous) on thread, and then ignored an instruction not to derail the thread any further ... your immediate response was seen as derailing the thread, and generated a 14 day ban.

I understand there was a PM conversation between you & the mod in question shortly after, in which the ban was explained, albeit not to your satisfaction.

Three hours later, you posted in a thread in which the only other poster was the mod who had just banned you from the Prices/Costs sub-forum. In this thread, you asked if the mods had to declare their interests, which was both off-topic, derailing and could be interpreted as challenging the mods integrity. This generated the second, permanent ban from the Renewable Energies sub-forum.

As it happens, I am only an occasional reader of the Construction & Planning forums, but I'm fairly sure each of the mods has 'outed' themselves at some stage with respect to their professions.

If that post stood alone, and didn't follow hot on the heels of the first, 14 day ban, I'd be inclined to argue for some clemency ... but taking the sequence of events into consideration, it does look troublesome.

One hour later, you started a thread with "I think it might be a good idea in the interests of fairness & Transparency for the mods to declare their interests in whats left of our once booming construction industry". This generated a third ban, permanent, for the Construction & Planning forum.

Before I get into any ongoing discussion, are you happy that this is indeed the sequence of events?

Is there anything else I should be aware of from your perspective ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,506 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

virtually none of the regular posters (including mods) are secretive about thier professions.
    New user often put this info forward out of politeness, or to back-up a point. If you wish to make this info about you know then go ahead, there are plenty of places to do so that are acceptable. but a thread requesting that everyone do it is not what the message board is about.

trout wrote: »
    OK ... I've read over the threads/posts in question.

This is what I see so far:

For the first ban, you challenged a mod decision (made one week previous) on thread, and then ignored an instruction not to derail the thread any further ... your immediate response was seen as derailing the thread, and generated a 14 day ban.

I understand there was a PM conversation between you & the mod in question shortly after, in which the ban was explained, albeit not to your satisfaction.

Three hours later, you posted in a thread in which the only other poster was the mod who had just banned you from the Prices/Costs sub-forum. In this thread, you asked if the mods had to declare their interests, which was both off-topic, derailing and could be interpreted as challenging the mods integrity. This generated the second, permanent ban from the Renewable Energies sub-forum.

As it happens, I am only an occasional reader of the Construction & Planning forums, but I'm fairly sure each of the mods has 'outed' themselves at some stage with respect to their professions.

If that post stood alone, and didn't follow hot on the heels of the first, 14 day ban, I'd be inclined to argue for some clemency ... but taking the sequence of events into consideration, it does look troublesome.

One hour later, you started a thread with "I think it might be a good idea in the interests of fairness & Transparency for the mods to declare their interests in whats left of our once booming construction industry". This generated a third ban, permanent, for the Construction & Planning forum.

Before I get into any ongoing discussion, are you happy that this is indeed the sequence of events?

Is there anything else I should be aware of from your perspective ?

Thank you for your response

Yes this is more or less it the sequence of events.
    Just Id like to add, That I understand & agree with him/her asking people to declare there interests/involvement in that particular industry if they are regular posters offering advice to people not as experienced. I just figured that it was quite a similar topic to the thread he had started as I had not previously known what his profession/trade is.

Then as he kicked me for derailing that thread I felt I had no option but to start another one so as not to be accused of de-railing or dragging it off topic then I got banned for being troublesome. I just felt albeit wrongly or rightly that it was a little ott, Being troublesome was definitley wasn't my intention Im sorry if it was construed in that manner.

kind Regards,

Sc024

OK ... I'm going to re-read your posts in the various sub-forums, and then have a chat with the forum mods.

Leave it with me for the minute.

I've spoken with the mods. I've also read over all your posts in the C & P forums, and considered the bans with respect to consistency and fairness in the context of C & P.

Serious question - do you see yourself as a good contributor to the forums, or as a person genuinely interested in the various topics?

What is it you hope to get out of participating in the C & P forums?

Im genuinly interested and am hoping to build myself next year and am hoping to get ideas from it

• Advertisement

SC024 wrote: »
    Im genuinly interested and am hoping to build myself next year and am hoping to get ideas from it

Fair enough ... but that doesn't come across in the posts that I've read.

The construction & planning forums are quite strict with respect to the threads/posts and topics.

There are a number of professionals involved in the forum, and people give of their time & expertise freely, for the good of the community. Being honest, I haven't seen from your posts so far that you are of a similar mind.

Smart comments on a week-old mod decision on thread, after being warned, would result in a ban in most forums on Boards. So, the initial 14 day ban is not harsh, unfair or unwarranted and I'm not going argue for it to be overturned.

The subsequent bans may seem harsh on the face of it, but looking at your next post in light of the previous ban, it does appear to be provocative, at best you have grabbed the wrong end of the stick, at worst you are questioning the integrity of the C & P mods.

The final thread you started is also provocative, and I'm not sure what you were hoping to achieve other than negative attention.

The level of tolerance for smart comments and provocative behaviour in C & P is understood to be quite low, certainly lower than the bar you have set.

In short... I think you've been treated strictly, but fairly; in the particular context of the C & P forums, I believe the mods actions were consistent with the accepted norms and behaviour. I won't be over-ruling the decisions at this time.

So ... what next? You claim to be interested in the topics, and you want to be a genuine contributor to the forums.

While I might be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt ... I'd like to see how you would convince the C & P mods to re-consider the bans, particularly when the last two bans relate directly to you challenging their integrity.

I do appreciate you taking the time to look into this, In relation to it seeming that i was trying to challenge their authority I understand that it may seem to be but I assure this was not what I was aiming at. I was simply curious and realise now with the benefit of hindsight that it may have been poorly timed & worded and again I would like to sincerely apologise for this.

Sc024

Reading over your various posts & threads I'm not entirely convinced ... nor are the C & P mods.

I don't understand why you were compelled to question a mods actions on thread, for a decision made a week previous. Your next posts were just provocative, directly challenging their integrity. If you look again at your first post in this thread, even your DRP thread has provocative elements (level headedness is lacking in the C & P forums).

After some discussion, the mods have proposed you can have your bans reviewed in 6 months time, on foot of a considered apology, and on the understanding that there will be zero tolerance for any further messing.

That seems fair to me ... it will give you plenty of time to become a good, positive contributor to the C & P forums in anticipation of your own build next year.

The C & P mods and regulars give freely of their time and expertise to the community. I don't think you have really bought into that yet ... time will tell.

Whilst this is not the response I was hoping for I do appreciate you taking the time to have a look at this

Thanks

Hi again,

I'm just wondering in light of the fact that this ban is 8 months old now Is there any chance of having it reviewed I do believe i've served my "sentence" so to speak

Thanks for your time,

SC024

ps. This isn't an attempt to dig an old thread or anything but I figure its simpler than trying to re-explain the original conditions of the ban etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Apologies for posting on thread here but i just want to confirm that I have received a PM from SC024 and I will discuss the matter with the other forum mods over the next couple of days and revert to our CMod, trout.

The OP and mod(s) in question have come to an amicable agreement.

Marking this as Resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement