Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying vinyls in Dublin?

Options
  • 23-01-2011 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Anyone know of any where in town where you can buy cheap enough vinyls? oh and do tower records sell them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a record shop downstairs in bus stop news agents on eden quay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

there is a record shop downstairs in bus stop news agents on eden quay
    about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

I don't know much about vinyls but yes, Tower Record do sell them. They are on the ground floor, towards the back. I only really know that because I was in here the other day. I have also seen vinyls in charity shops (on George's Street and Capel Street). Oh and also in in that Celtic music store on Nassau Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

There are two second hand places in Georges street arcade, couple of places in Temple bar, one on Fade street called RAGE think its all second hand stuff, Soundcellar on Nassau street mostly metal and rock.
    Tower is good for new stuff, can be a bit steep though, and Celtic note is way over priced IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Nolanger wrote: »
    about 10 years ago.

actually I think they just closed recently, maybe 1 year ago. the fact that people thought the place was closed down might have contributed to its eventual demise

HMV on grafton street might be one of the only places left with a large selection but there should be a few still left around temple bar. Road Records was great but couldnt go on trading.
    Tower Records off Grafton Street used to have a good section of vinyl, not sure if they still sell any, worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

All City Records on Crow Street, Temple Bar, stock Vinyl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

City Discs in Temple Bar do vinyl.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

actually I think they just closed recently, maybe 1 year ago. the fact that people thought the place was closed down might have contributed to its eventual demise

HMV on grafton street might be one of the only places left with a large selection but there should be a few still left around temple bar. Road Records was great but couldnt go on trading.
    Tower Records off Grafton Street used to have a good section of vinyl, not sure if they still sell any, worth a look.

that was Freebird Records, they actually moved to Temple Bar a few years ago and closed down about a year ago. Picked up some cheap stuff in thier closing down sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

these are in urban outfitters at the minute for 6 quid:

nirvana - bleach

vampire weekend - contra

ramones and kraftwerk there too but cant remember what abums. neutral milk hotel were in there too but sold out

also the secret book and record shop on wicklow street is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

depends what type of music you wanna buy....

Rock/Soul/Jazz/Pop - Tower is fairly good for stocking reissues at brilliant prices (Stevie Wonder's Songs in the KEy of Life for under 20 euro etc).

Comet in Temple Bar have a great stock of second hand soul and disco records (same for Spindizzy in Georges St. Arcade).

Hip-hop/house/dubstep/techno/electro/funk/etc - All City in Temple Bar. My favourite by far.

City Discs in Temple Bar has a decent electronica section.

• Advertisement

:( City Discs to close (via come here to me)
    The excellent Dublin record shop City Discs is unfortunately closing down. All stock on sale, €3 an item. Big up Craig, Gerry and all the gang who’ve been supplying tunes to so many people the last 8 years.

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/city-disks-to-close/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

That's too bad. I always went in there for my gig tickets and to peruse the listings board.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

R.E freebird:

just to be very very clear, freebird(dublin's second oldest independent record store after soundcellar) is alive and well. the eden quay location was closed a good few years ago now. we then moved to the back of the secret book and record store on wicklow street(up from tower). we had a second store on cope street which was decided best that focus be put on the one store. the vinyl section is constantly expanding and anything can be ordered. drop in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Anyone know of any where in town where you can buy cheap enough vinyls? oh and do tower records sell them?

What are you after exactly?

From my experience finding decent vinyl even in Dublin isn't the easiet job in the world. I'm not 100% sure if it's still open but there used to be a shop in Georges arcade off Georges street which used to be one of the better ones around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Where's the best place in Dublin to find 7"s by local bands, now that Road is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

tower on wicklow street stocks 7" and 12" local/irish stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

All City, City Discs, Freebird Secret Book and Record Store, Road, Sound Cellar, Spindizzy, Tower (all Dublin); Zhivago (Galway), Heartbeat City (Kilkenny and Tullamore), Rollercoaster Music (Kilkenny), e2 Music (Mullingar and Navan), Bridge Stores (New Ross), Third Wave Music (Sligo) and BPM Records (Waterford). Up north, Derry’s Cool Discs and Belfast’s Good Vibrations

You could always take a trip to London or Amsterdam and stock up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a record and cd fair on in the royal marine hotel, Dun Laoghaire tomorrow (sat) from 10 to 6

All City, City Discs, Freebird Secret Book and Record Store, Road, Sound Cellar, Spindizzy, Tower (all Dublin); Zhivago (Galway), Heartbeat City (Kilkenny and Tullamore), Rollercoaster Music (Kilkenny), e2 Music (Mullingar and Navan), Bridge Stores (New Ross), Third Wave Music (Sligo) and BPM Records (Waterford). Up north, Derry’s Cool Discs and Belfast’s Good Vibrations

You could always take a trip to London or Amsterdam and stock up!

City Discs in Dublin and Zhivago in Galway are both closing shortly (if they haven't shut their doors already).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    City Discs in Dublin and Zhivago in Galway are both closing shortly (if they haven't shut their doors already).

Ah well. I tried to help.

London and Amsterdam are the best places to do some Vinyl Tourism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Think there's a vinyl shop in the Mary Mall on Mary Street. Don't know the name of the shop or what genre they mainly stock.

Haven't been in that mall since last summer so don't know know if it's still open it seemed pretty quiet when i was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Celtic Note on Nassau St have an impressive selection of classic albums on vinyl e.g. Appetite for Destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

I saw loads of vinyls at the Dublin Flea Market today. It's only on on the last Sunday of each month though so you'll have to wait a month to check it out..

I saw loads of vinyls at the Dublin Flea Market today. It's only on on the last Sunday of each month though so you'll have to wait a month to check it out..

There was a very good stall in the outdoor section, got some Therapy? and Whipping Boy vinyl, very happy I was :D

Just to say Mac's shop in the Georges street arcade is closing (thats the stall in the middle of the arcade) half price sale on.
    And there is a new metal music shop called In To The Void on Whitefrier street, Dublin 8. (Down between Avalon house hostel and Whitefriers church) They have a good selection of mostly metal vinyl.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Into-The-Void-Records

There was a very good stall in the outdoor section, got some Therapy? and Whipping Boy vinyl, very happy I was :D

Dublin flea is on again this Sunday! Drop by, you may get more of what you are looking for.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 beechpark

After reading this topic I took a trip to Dublin city centre yesterday on a mission to see how many record stores I could find. In an hour I came across three, all selling vinyl. They were:

Freebird Records, 15a Wicklow Street
    Spindizzy Records, The Market Arcade, South Great George's St.
    The Rage, 16b Fade St.

I came home with two lps and 2 cds. Great experience!

beechpark wrote: »
    After reading this topic I took a trip to Dublin city centre yesterday on a mission to see how many record stores I could find. In an hour I came across three, all selling vinyl. They were:

Freebird Records, 15a Wicklow Street
    Spindizzy Records, The Market Arcade, South Great George's St.
    The Rage, 16b Fade St.

I came home with two lps and 2 cds. Great experience!

Tower also sell vinyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 beechpark

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Tower also sell vinyl.

I'll give it a visit next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Can it be second hand as well? The Flea Market in the CoOp Newmarket Square would be a good option, or the Record Fair in Temple Bar. I think, the next one is around St.Patrick's Day weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement