Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling off of Ireland's forests

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Afraid the sale of it and Bord Gáis is on the cards once the McCarthy review of semi state bodies is complete. Expected to bring in 1.5 Billion. Bertie is seen internationally in good light so expect suitors to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

booom wrote: »
    some of you may find this interesting http://www.woodlandleague.org/

An extremely disturbing development that must be stopped at all costs - I will be bringing it up when both Labour and FG candidates appear in my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Very disturbing. I'd recommend cross posting onto the Nature and Birdwatching forum over in Rec also.

Just watching Newsnight on BBC2, which is reporting the possibility of all of Englands forests being sold off, including the heritage forests, due to be announced tomorrow when consultation will start. A similar move in Scotland a few years back was blocked.

We need to make sure that canvessers hear anger about this, as something they can do something about, which will be different to the anger they'll be hearing about regarding the state of the countrys finances.

Wonder would Shane Ross be interested. FAS and the Bankers are getting to be old hat now. Maybe Coillte executives are ripe for him rooting through their expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Calm down lads. Both FG and Labour made statements to tuesday's Farming Independent that they are venimously opposed to the selling off of Ireland's Forests. Both have pledged that it will not happen if either or both of them are in power after the election - which is looking likely.

At the end of the day, it was only a recommendation by an board snip and it was described as being one of the measures that would yield the least amount of money relative to the amount of asset lost. There were hundreds more recommendations from an Board snip like closing rural 2 and 3 teacher schools that they will probably follow through on :( . I hope as much fuss is made about these proposed closures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The worrying part was that Bertie is involved in the deal. As if he needed to do any more damage to this Island.

• Advertisement
Advertisement