Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband - DNS issue?

• 23-01-2011 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I was upgraded to a higher speed by UPC recently (5-8MB) and got a wireless cisco router from UPC at the same time.

All is well, except I often have to click refresh a few times before a page loads.
    I get the 'Firefox can't find the server at www..." message a lot.. and if I click refresh a few times, up comes the website. It happens for most websites so its not one in particular.

Ive changed the channel on the wireless to avoid others in the area (used inSSIDer software) and it happens on both laptops in the house.

Any ideas how I can fix it before I go through the torture of ringing them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Trotter wrote: »
    I was upgraded to a higher speed by UPC recently (5-8MB) and got a wireless cisco router from UPC at the same time.

All is well, except I often have to click refresh a few times before a page loads.
    I get the 'Firefox can't find the server at www..." message a lot.. and if I click refresh a few times, up comes the website. It happens for most websites so its not one in particular.

Ive changed the channel on the wireless to avoid others in the area (used inSSIDer software) and it happens on both laptops in the house.

Any ideas how I can fix it before I go through the torture of ringing them?

the problem is caused by the crappy firmware on the cisco router they give u.

the only fix for this is to buy a proper wireless router (with ethernet WAN port) and config the cisco router so it only operates as a cable modem. (disable its dhcp & wireless modes)

then u connect the new router to the cisco router and and set the wan ip address of the new router to something like 192.168.0.1 and the default gateway address of the new router to the cisco router's address 192.168.1.1 and then set the primary dns address to 8.8.8.8 and secondary dns address to 8.8.4.4

then connect all your laptops to your new wifi router.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Go to 192.168.1.1
    No Username
    No Password
    Click ok.

Click setup on top right under the word Cisco(already highlighted but click again)

Under basic settings select Network Configuration...
    Above MTU at the bottom of the screen you will see Primary/Secondary DNS.

Remove any static from here and add 1 Zero to each field.
    Click apply and issue solved...

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    Go to 192.168.1.1
    No Username
    No Password
    Click ok.

Click setup on top right under the word Cisco(already highlighted but click again)

Under basic settings select Network Configuration...
    Above MTU at the bottom of the screen you will see Primary/Secondary DNS.

Remove any static from here and add 1 Zero to each field.
    Click apply and issue solved...

Hope this helps

i tried that before and the cisco router wouldnt save it... it always kept resetting back to the default upc dns addresses

The OP's issue is separate to your own, i would need more details as to what is cauaing your own isssue...

The OP rebooted his modem for the speeds upgrade which may have changed the DNS to a Private or Public address...

The Default for a DHCP/Dynamic IP is 0.0.0.0 in network config on a router...

Your correct, this will change the DNS back to UPC's but it will resolve the issue where he has to Refresh the page contantly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks! Will give it a shot and report back.

• Advertisement

I was away for a couple of days so only got to do it now. The cisco rebooted and it seems to be quicker but boards did hang once when I came back here to reply. It was stuck on 'looking up...' but a few refreshes sorted me out.

No joy. Works fine for a few mins and then I end up clicking refresh a few times to get sites to load. That site will load immediately then when I click links, and others will do the refresh routine.

I wonder is it some setting on the laptops because the iPhones are loading pages straight away.

Could be a browser issue also.

Try going to tools
    Internet options
    Advanced
    Reset

You will be asked "are you sure you want to reset" and then click reset again...You will get a pop up window with a series of options...Once the option has reset a correct sigh will show beside it...

Click Close once all are completed and you will be prompted to restart your browser(not ur computer)

Your Browser will be reset to defaults as if you had just installed it so it will prompt you to go through the features, you can continue or ignore.

Try this and see how you get on.

I use UPC DNS and never have problem accessing any sites and there are a lot of things that can cause a DNS issue...Just a matter of trying all DNS issue resolutions...

Im using firefox so Im not sure if theres a reset button on that?

If its any use, Ive Chrome on both laptops too and it is having the same problem.. not loading a site but loads immediately on clicking refresh once or twice.

Could it be something to do with Proxy settings?

It's Quite possible that it is a proxy setting. There are also located in the internet options...

Mozilla Firefox is your default browser so unfortunately the above steps will not work on this occasion but instead if you do the following you should be able to reset you current default browser

Start
    Control Panel
    Network and internet
    Interner Options

Follow the same reset steps as previously posted...Because the internet options are windows related and not specific to Internet explorer it should reset the settings for your current default browser...

Also located in the internet options is the connections Tab.
    If you click Lan setting under this Tap you will see the options for a proxy...

If you un-tick all boxes in this menu then you will disable any proxy setup on the computer unless using an application example - WireShark but these types of apps need to be activated when computer is on unless they are setup in your startup application...

• Advertisement

Still no joy.. :(

I connected the laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and disconnected the wireless connection and still have the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Dont no much about UPC but sounds like a packetloss problem

Open a command window and type

ping www.boards.ie -t

let it run for a while and see if packets are being dropped

Advertisement