Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature cao application

Options
  • 23-01-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I'm applying for a course on the CAO as a mature student and I was wondering does my supporting documentation have to be posted and received by them BEFORE the 1st February??? If so then I'll be seriously under pressure rooting out all that stuff and getting it certified and posting before next week.

Kind of freaking out as I only decided I want to do this in the last few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

I think you have a number of days for the documents to reach the CAO. I went through this process last year and remember getting a dated receipt to prove the posting date. Make sure you include a stamped, addressed postcard so they can send it back to you as confirmation.

I got my first choice and couldn't ve happier to study as a mature student. I'm so glad I went through the paperwork, interviews etc. It's more than worth it. I look forward to 9am Monday lectures.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It's meant to be 7 days after the 1st February.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Ok phew! Thanks for the info. I assume they'll tell me exactly what I need at the time of application. I'm applying to DIT and it says on their end that all the info they require is processed through the CAO so that means the CAO will tell me what is needed yeah?

Oh and one more thing. The DIT website says that relevant education and/or work experience will be considered in the application. If I don't have any experience or qualifications in that industry are there other redeeming factors that could make up for that? Such as my personal statement or interests?

Ok phew! Thanks for the info. I assume they'll tell me exactly what I need at the time of application. I'm applying to DIT and it says on their end that all the info they require is processed through the CAO so that means the CAO will tell me what is needed yeah?

You need to look up the DIT website and see what information is needed for application to the course. Do they need any additional information? If not, grand.

Are you applying on-line or by paper format? You can register now online without completing your application and see what documents are needed. You'll need things like copies of your junior/leaving cert, FETAC qualifications/certified copies of degrees. Make sure you have all this.

I'd get cracking on this now as you will get flustered when it comes to making the application as its quite a difficult, time consuming process. You want to get it right.
    Oh and one more thing. The DIT website says that relevant education and/or work experience will be considered in the application. If I don't have any experience or qualifications in that industry are there other redeeming factors that could make up for that? Such as my personal statement or interests?

I'm sure you have skills which can be transferable to the course you are applying for. Your personal statement really is the biggie in my opinion. It is where you get the chance to explain why the college should give you a place.

I've written tips in this forum so have a look at them. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jonevin

hi larianne i have had to apply to fetac for a record of my awards as i do not have original certs
    do you think this will suffice

Yes, that is fine. I would get onto them straight away though as the deadline is 1st February.

Ok decided to keep everyone updated on this forum of how I'm progressing with my application, partly to keep myself focussed and maybe give someone else who is thinking of submitting an application next year a dire warning not to leave things to the last minute :D.

After a quick rummage I found my original leaving cert, long form birth certificate (I do need this right? Presumably to prove my age beyond a doubt) and a couple of old written references from days gone by. I even found a few FETAC certificates I forgot I had.

On the subject of the FETAC certs I got them as part of a H.Dip course I did as a school leaver but the tricky thing is I dropped out of that course in the second year. I'm sure I could explain why adequately in my personal statement but does it hurt my application nonetheless?

I'm pretty sure I state in my 'Tips on Applying As a Mature Student' on organising yourself early! :p

Regarding the old Fetac award. I guess there is no harm in submitting it once you can back it up as to why you didn't finish the course and that you got something out of the course regardless. If not, I'd not mention it in your personal statement. I think you do have to mention it on the application as it asks for any FETAC award.

I only mentioned the FETAC component certs I got and I'm sending certified copies to CAO tomorrow. They aren't full awards in their own right but I felt I should mention them nonetheless.

I decided against mentioning my previously incomplete H.Dip course for the simple reason that it could be too risky and more importantly they specifically (on the HEIs website anyway) tell you to include full complete certs or awards so I'm not obliged to mention it. If asked (in an interview for example) about what the component certs were working towards I will tell them openly and honestly so I'm not trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

Also I'm an Irish citizen (and passport holder) but I was born in the UK. Will they ask for prove of my Irish citizenship? A certified copy of my passport for instance?

• Advertisement

Not sure about the passport thing. I don't think that would be until you actually got the place and it would be the admissions office of the uni/college looking for that.

The application is all sent via express post and postage certs were obtained too just in case!

Just a little check in/message of hope. Got two letters from DCU and DIT offering me courses last week. Didn't even do an interview!

It's quite ironic that I stressed over this so much and now I'm not even doing a full time course :/. Applying for a part time one instead as I don't want to give up my job.

Well done. Delighted to hear that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

crimson - maybe you should accept the full time courses just in case something happens your job in the meantime you never know
    and you dont have to pay the fees at all until you register

Advertisement