Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expected to clean the toilet at work

Options
  • 23-01-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

Chatting to a apprentice hairdresser earlier, told me she is asked to clean the toilet from time to time and asked to return to her duties before the end of her main 30 minute lunch break from time to time, lunch time is at the employers discretion, one day it could be at 1pm, next day 3pm, told her id check it out here for her, is she entitled to simply say no here ? I know what id tell them ;)
    Thanks all......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The only problem I can see here is that she's not getting minimum breaks sometimes.

Can't really see the issue with an apprentice being asked to clean, TBH. And most job descriptions say "other duties as required".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I'd imagine some days are busier than others so sometimes if its busy its difficult to get a break at the same time.
    I agree with Justmary though too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

bogman wrote: »
    Chatting to a apprentice hairdresser earlier, told me she is asked to clean the toilet from time to time and asked to return to her duties before the end of her main 30 minute lunch break from time to time, lunch time is at the employers discretion, one day it could be at 1pm, next day 3pm, told her id check it out here for her, is she entitled to simply say no here ? I know what id tell them ;)
    Thanks all......

We have a rule where staff get a break after 4 hrs. I'm not sure if it's a union agreement or employee law, but it's not in the Working Time Directive. It could be a retail jlc agreement.

Everywhere I've worked I have and to clean the toilets! It's OK though I don't have a cleaner at home either so I get plenty of practice.

I have often asked hairdressers how they get breaks because I often got my hair done from 11am till 3pm and the person wouldn't get a break. They just say they get a break between appointments. I wouldn't support anywhere that consistently doesn't plan breaks for their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Thanks for your replies, passed your ideas on to that girl...much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I used to clean when I worked in a really small firm, it was either that or deal with the dirt as there were no cleaners hired. Any hairdresser I have spoken to always says that she/he rarely gets a proper break on busy days, its just the way the industry works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement