Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDR3 1333 running at 1339?

Options
  • 23-01-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Is it okay for RAM that I bought labeled at 1333mhz speed to be running default at 1339? Or is that bad, cause I have BSODs all the time and been looking around for months for an explanation. Just look at my other threads that I started and see what I mean (if you can). Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is a self built PC by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

It is possible that the ram could be the problem but it is unlikely. I suggest downloading a program called 'bluescreenview' I think?
    It will tell you what code your blue screen is. If you eneter this code into google it will give you an insight into what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

TiNcAn wrote: »
    It is possible that the ram could be the problem but it is unlikely. I suggest downloading a program called 'bluescreenview' I think?
    It will tell you what code your blue screen is. If you eneter this code into google it will give you an insight into what the problem is.

Yeh, did that before, results are a mixed bag. Can be the graphic card, mobo, PSU or just a bad OS install. It's Not a bad os install as Ive had 32 and 64 bit versions of windows 7 and I cleanly installed them both dozens of times. BSODs tend to happen under load (DirectX games).

How can I set my RAM in the bios to run at 1333mhz instead of 1339mhz? At this stage I'm absolutely desperate for a cure or fix.

I know some motherboards, especially some MSI boards, slightly overclock the processor by about 10 MHz or so, to give better benchmark scores. This may be the explanation. I'd say that such a small increase in clock speed is probably insignificant but it might be worth checking out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Is that an i5 system? The difference between 1333MHz and 1339MHz memory is the same as 133.3MHz and 133.9MHz base clocks - a fairly normal gap. Same with P67, some manufacturers are using 99.8MHz bCLK and others are using 100.1MHz or 100.4MHz to get tiny hikes in performance to look good in reviews. I seriously doubt a 1333MHz DDR3 kit running <1340MHz will have issues so long as its kosher.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

As solitaire said, thats completely normal. Mine runs at 1339.4 for example.

However, that doesn't mean that the ram isn't the problem. Download and run memtest and run it for a bit to see if you get errors. If its OCZ RAM I would bet thats the problem. Something ridiculous like 15% of their sticks are faulty and give bluescreens.

It would help if you gave us a complete list of parts as well, might help diagnose the problem. Obvious ones would be the RAM or a dodgy PSU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

deconduo wrote: »
    As solitaire said, thats completely normal. Mine runs at 1339.4 for example.

However, that doesn't mean that the ram isn't the problem. Download and run memtest and run it for a bit to see if you get errors. If its OCZ RAM I would bet thats the problem. Something ridiculous like 15% of their sticks are faulty and give bluescreens.

It would help if you gave us a complete list of parts as well, might help diagnose the problem. Obvious ones would be the RAM or a dodgy PSU.

This ^^.

Have you set the timings and the voltages in the bios for the ram?

game4it70 wrote: »
    This ^^.

Have you set the timings and the voltages in the bios for the ram?

No I haven't they are at auto, I don't even know what the stock voltages are... Timing on the other hand is something like CL9. How do u find out the stock settings and apply them manually? I've never overclocked my system. The mobo's max speed for RAM is 1.5 volt 1333MHz but it can allow stable overclocks of up to 1866MHz for RAM according to manual/site

Solitaire wrote: »
    Is that an i5 system?

CPU type: AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition 3.2Ghz
    GPU type: MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II 1Gb (I use a DELL monitor)
    RAM type: Corsair XMS3 CM3X2G1333C9 4Gb kit DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
    PSU type: Coolermaster Real Power M620 620 Watt
    Mobo type: Gigabyte GA-790XT-USB3
    Case type: Antec 300 w/ 2 outtake fans(low)and 3 intake fans(med) Inside
    DVD drive: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7243S SATA CD ROM

Advertisement