Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing bank account type, can I keep account number

Options
  • 23-01-2011 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have an adapt account with Ulster Bank and I just found out that it doesn't allow for direct debits. I have a direct debit due to come out on Tuesday and if it doesn't then my phone insurance will be cancelled. So I'm going in the morning to switch my account to a standard account but I want to know if I will be able to keep the same account number so as the direct debit can be paid? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It depends on the bank's policy but I'd be 99.99% certain that the answer is 'no'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

coylemj wrote: »
    It depends on the bank's policy but I'd be 99.99% certain that the answer is 'no'.

Although I would agree it depends on the bank's policy, I would imagine that the answer would most likely be yes. I'm with AIB, and my cashsave account was swapped to a student account, which was swapped to a graduate account, which was swapped to a standard current account, which was later swapped to a high interest current account. All this time, my account number remained the same. Unless the "account type" is different, I don't see why their systems couldn't support it (ie you couldn't swap a current account for a loan/mortgage/budgeting account, but any "normal" current account would be fine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

It is less to do with policy and more to do with the product rules as defined
    when the prodcut was setup on the IT system.

Some products will be able to be swapped into or out of. A 'swap table' is
    maintained on the banks systems that facilitates these product swaps.
    So, a Cashsave account(now frozen) can be swapped out of to another
    account type but not swapped into. Same exists for current a/c's
    C/A -> High Interest C/A =Allowed
    C/A -> Deposit Account = Not Allowed.

OP, a quick look at the Ulster Bank website shows that this is a current a/c
    for people 11-18 year olds. If you are now over 18, you could probably have
    this swapped out to a regular current a/c unless it has been done so already.

Check with your branch but the answer to your question is yes it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It is possible to convert your adapt to a current account. Subject to a Credit Search and meeting set critiria etc.

Ask at your branch to have someone go through the process with you.

Advertisement