Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed Classics

Options
  • 23-01-2011 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭

Have you played a great game that didn't do well commercially but received rave reviews?
    Some of the ones that spring to mind are Giants:Citizen Kabuto, Beyond good and evil and Psychonauts

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts as well for me. Bought them in the GoG sale so hopefully will get around to them. The other biggie is Shenmue and I still haven't beaten deus ex despite numerous attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shadow of the Colossus. Really looking forward to the HD Team Ico collection, heard some really great things about SOTC in particular. Sounds right up my alley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts as well for me. Bought them in the GoG sale so hopefully will get around to them. The other biggie is Shenmue and I still haven't beaten deus ex despite numerous attempts.

You haven't finished Shenmue? For shame sir, for shame :p

For me it's the Suikoden series, I just never managed to pick up any of them over the years, except 4 but its meant to be a bit crap so I never bothered with it.

I also managed to ignore Super Metroid till late last year, which is about as bad as it gets to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

For me it's the Suikoden series, I just never managed to pick up any of them over the years, except 4 but its meant to be a bit crap so I never bothered with it.

1 and 2 are incredible. Big favorites that I go back to every now and then. 3 was a bit crap if im honest. The transition to 3d did not help.

Eternal Darkness was one that didn't sell too well that got great reviews. Grim Fandango is another favorite for these kind of discussions.

Also loved Outcast. I have yet to meet another person who has played this.

Edit: Got me thinking about this now....

Missed games: Vandal Hearts, Alundra, and one of my top 5 games of all time Skies of Arcadia

My big regrets are not playing all the way through xenogears and chrono cross. I got a US PS2 a few years back to get games like the Xenosaga series, Suikoden 3, FF Tactics, so they always got ignored.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Suikoden 1 and 2 are well worth playing, especially 2 which in my opinion is one of the best RPGs ever made. Suikoden 3 is decent 4 is utter ****e and 5 is a return to form and very good.

I also got Outcast in the GoG sale. A friend of mine keeps telling me how good it is and how it was the only game to ever bring him close to tears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I also got Outcast in the GoG sale. A friend of mine keeps telling me how good it is and how it was the only game to ever bring him close to tears.
    i remember playing that years ago. must get it on GoG cos i'm not sure it'll work on win7 without some help.
    really enjoyed playing it, some really funny moments in it.

Works perfect on my windows 7 PC, best thing about GoG is they optimise the games to run on new systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

The only one that immediately springs to mind (I might think about it a little harder tomorrow though) is The Suffering. Really enjoyed it, but never actually knew anyone else who has played it.

Enslaved looks like it might be heading down a similar path.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i played The Suffering on the PC and thought it was great scary game, did it not do so well in sales?

Edit: just looked it up, it sold 1.5 million copies and spawned a sequel

On September 8, 2005, Midway and MTV Films announced that a film version of The Suffering was in development.[2] The film began production in 2006 and is scheduled to be released in 2011. It has been reported that Kyle Haarklau will write and direct. Stan Winston had signed on to design the monster effects for the film prior to his death on June 15, 2008. Actor Chiwetel Ejiofor was announced to play the lead character Torque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Works perfect on my windows 7 PC, best thing about GoG is they optimise the games to run on new systems.
    i actually meant the original discs i have when i bought it :) don't think they'll work without lots of tweaking, and tbh i'm willing to get it off GoG just for laziness's sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I remeber a gem of a game for the Gamecube called Lost Kingdoms. It was an adventure game with real-time strategic combat using a sort of card game dynamic. You got dealt a random hand at the beginning of each combat so constructing a balanced deck was essential. Sub quests lead you to the rarer cards which in turn gave you more options in battle.

EDGE gave it a favourable review (8/10 I think) but I had to route it out of a bargain bin in GAME not too long after release!

Wikipedia article

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.. I remember being stunned at how good this game was when it came out on the xbox. Great characters, great gameplay ("live" ammunition :D) and a great story which changes tack about halfway through. Its out on steam now too (with the other oddworld games) so will have to get it when my new laptop arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Wargasm (DID, 1998).

Awesome craic with a few mates the few times we managed to get it to a LAN.
    Play as a tank/APC/chopper/soldier/mobile AA gun.

Nothing quite like managing to take out a chopper while playing as a wee soldier. Also incredible fun zipping around the place in a chopper with infinite ammo. No storyline to speak of, but the graphics were good, sound effects nice and punchy and the soundtrack was pure awesome (Beethoven and Wagner, I believe). Nice physics/trajectory computing to your tank shells, which made nailing some bastard hundreds of metres away going in the opposite direction with a single turret shot a thing of beauty.

Vastly underrated. Plus the review by Charlie Brooker in PcZone at the time was (as usual) great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Skerries wrote: »
    i played The Suffering on the PC and thought it was great scary game, did it not do so well in sales?

Edit: just looked it up, it sold 1.5 million copies and spawned a sequel

On September 8, 2005, Midway and MTV Films announced that a film version of The Suffering was in development.[2] The film began production in 2006 and is scheduled to be released in 2011. It has been reported that Kyle Haarklau will write and direct. Stan Winston had signed on to design the monster effects for the film prior to his death on June 15, 2008. Actor Chiwetel Ejiofor was announced to play the lead character Torque

Didn't realise it was that popular. I have the sequel though, although it didn't hold a candle to the original. All this info about the movie is news to me though. To be honest, I really didn't think it would have been near popular enough to warrant a movie. Although it would have been cool to see Stan Winston doing the effects, because he created the monsters for the game. From what I can recall, he was credited on the back of the box for it. I wonder if it's still in production, or if it got dropped somewhere along the way. I must investigate...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Does Rise of Nations count here? I played it and it got great reviews (didn't see the real attraction in it myself). How did it do commercially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Psi-Ops, the Mind-Gate Conspiracy on the Xbox was IMO a brilliant game, pity the buying public didn't seem to think so. I went out of my way to rebuy it once I got my 360 but bloody thing wasn't backwards compatible so might try and hunt it up for the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

I'd like to throw Tropico 3 out as a missed classic as i thought it was a superb game, no to serious and really fun and enjoyable game and despite really good reviews it just didn't get the sales it deserved.

Shadow of the Colossus and Ico for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Shadow of the Colossus definitely, shat all over games coming out then, and completely original, can't wait for the next TeamIco release.

And as said above, Psi-Ops was a great game, i remember my boos in GameStop giving me a promo copy of it at the time (which she got at a HQ meeting, she didn't even like games!). Must have played through it 5 or 6 times! Pity there's no sequel.

What was the other game around the same time with Psy powers? Made by the Timesplitters team... Great game!

Edit: Second Sight, fantastic game!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Psi-Ops, the Mind-Gate Conspiracy on the Xbox was IMO a brilliant game, pity the buying public didn't seem to think so. I went out of my way to rebuy it once I got my 360 but bloody thing wasn't backwards compatible so might try and hunt it up for the PC

And would have had a sequel too had Midway not decided to focus on Stranglehold too. :(

As for me, well most games on the consoles between the SNES and the current generation of consoles unfortunately. I've been catching up since thankfully but I still have a long way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Demons souls check mate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Bioshock 1+2, Metroid games, Mario Galaxy's.. just bought both bioshock games today tho... looking forward to getting stuck into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Peace Walker for all you arses out there who didn't try it.

20e in HMV.

Just finished Fallout NV and am resisting the urge to play it through again as an arse.

Next options are:

- To make more than a dent in Dead Space 1, only a few hours in and haven't touched it in months

- Start Bioshock 2

Thats it - hmm thought I had more.

Still thinking of buying:

- Birth by Sleep

- FFX13

- Mass Effect 2

- Batman (still haven't played AA)

- GOW Collection

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mirrors Edge

and yes I'm serious, its got flaws, but its different. you can pick it up for about a fiver new these days, I paid 7 quid for it in game last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

eugeneious wrote: »
    I'd like to throw Tropico 3 out as a missed classic as i thought it was a superb game, no to serious and really fun and enjoyable game and despite really good reviews it just didn't get the sales it deserved.

Picked this up a few weeks back and enjoyed it for the first few hours. It does tend to get extremely repetetive after a while though. Haven't touched it since.
    krudler wrote: »
    Mirrors Edge

and yes I'm serious, its got flaws, but its different. you can pick it up for about a fiver new these days, I paid 7 quid for it in game last year.

This was a game I'd seen a few times, read a few things about and finally picked it up when I spotted it for 5 quid in XV. Only got as far as the meeting with the sister before I gave up on it. Something about it just made me feel nauseous and even the gameplay wasn't that great.

For a missed classic though I'd nominate Fahrenheit. Its one of the only games I've played that is still in my mind to this day. Yeah Heavy Rain was much more polished but this was a gem of a game with a great story to it. The whole bit towards the end of the game with the
    matrix style powers
    still ranks as one of my top "wtf!?" moments in gaming but in a good way. Think its available on Games on demand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have at least 20 PS2 games that I'm saving for when I find the time.

noodler wrote: »
    - FFX13

That's a real love it or hate it game. I liked it but can see why people don't.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I have at least 20 PS2 games that I'm saving for when I find the time.

I actually only have one at the moment that I intend to actually play (Rogue Galaxy..and that's GothPunk's!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's a real love it or hate it game. I liked it but can see why people don't.

I can't see why people like any of the FF games, the fighting system sucks dong! Yes, i'm probably in a minority, but i hate, and haven't played, any games that use this stupid system of waiting...

Advertisement