Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start studying for the Leaving Cert

• 23-01-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm doing my mocks in 5 weeks and I still havn't started to study for the leaving cert. Every time I plan to start I find an excuse not to do it and say that I will start tomorrow or next week. Its also partially because I know that I will get the right points for University. The course that I want to to is only 340 points and I will easily get that so it kinda seems not so important but I do want to get way more than that. I want to get 470+ but I just can't seem to start studying and any little bit that I do I always do with the subjects that I enjoy most (ie Not Spanish or Irish)

So does any one have any tips to get myself to start studying and to study the 2 subjects that I don't like.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

In the same boat as yourself. I just bought the revision books and use them to do my homework each evening and find them useful. Try to do questions from the exam papers too that helps ALOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Is it actually possible to get 470 if you only start now? I'm only in 5th year and I'm aiming for 470.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

It all depends on the person. Some people find it very easy to read and retain vast amounts of information whereas some have to labour just to learn a few sentences. I, unfortunately don't fall into the first category...I envy all those who do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Can I ask what kind of course it is? Because I would be very, very wary of saying oh its only however many points. Science was fairly low last year and it went up by 100 points. Aim for as high as you can possibly get.

You need a study timetable, a list of topics per subject to cover and a list to check off of all the things you have finished studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Is it actually possible to get 470 if you only start now? I'm only in 5th year and I'm aiming for 470.

It is possible but I strongly advise that you don't try it.

If only I could take my own advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

It is possible but I strongly advise that you don't try it.

If only I could take my own advice!

Don't worry, I'm planning on starting very early in 6th year. How much should I be doing a night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Id say its a matter of personal preference. Start off doing your homework then maybe half an hour extra study afterwards. Eventually stretch it out to a time that you find comfertable. When you hit this time next year you should then have no problem doing 3/4+ hours study! I wouldnt go straight into doing 3 or 4 hours from the start. Adjust your study around your life.

Crayolastereo's tip about a study timetable make a lot of sense, although I find that I struggle to stick to it. Instead I break my week into periods of study available. I study whatever subjects I feel like on that particular night but I mark them off so I dont neglect any individual subject. This has led to a few Fridays of Irish and Maths study though which is never nice. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Haven't started studying properly yet and I am aiming for 430, looks like I'm screwed from what everyone is saying here! Uh oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

If you want it badly enough you'll study hard now and get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Step 1. Turn off the computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Can I ask what kind of course it is? Because I would be very, very wary of saying oh its only however many points. Science was fairly low last year and it went up by 100 points. Aim for as high as you can possibly get.

You need a study timetable, a list of topics per subject to cover and a list to check off of all the things you have finished studying.

Its finance and economics at maynooth

Advertisement