Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&H General Election Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

deise_girl wrote: »
    I like to believe I know what Im saying :(

I was poking Noel not you :p (see his earlier posts) ... just citing your post as evidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Fúcking Dick Roche asked for a complete recount of the Wicklow votes. Starts again in the morning. Living up to his name as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

kateos2 wrote: »
    Fúcking Dick Roche asked for a complete recount of the Wicklow votes. Starts again in the morning. Living up to his name as usual.

In a constituency where no one reached the quota and they were on the 13th count, Fianna Fail shouldn't have allowed him to do that. The results of Wicklow are going to be out on Wednesday at the earliest.

unknown13 wrote: »
    In a constituency where no one reached the quota and they were on the 13th count, Fianna Fail shouldn't have allowed him to do that. The results of Wicklow are going to be out on Wednesday at the earliest.

I know it's so stupid. He can't face that his time is up and is having a hissy fit.
    The amount of independents here was unreal, I'm not surprised it had been taking so long. We were almost there before he had a tantrum. Now wicklow county council is going to be effectively closed until this actually gets done.

Well, firstly, they couldn't really stop him, it's the candidate's own choice.

Secondly, it's not like they are going to be in government anyway, so they don't really care I'd say.

And thirdly, to be honest it's not like it makes any real difference ... the end pattern is in sight clearly enough without Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Wonder what cabinet positions Labour will get? Good to see the next government should have such a large majority anyway. Listening to Michael Healy Rae on the radio I'm glad ****ers like him will achieve nothing in the next Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Namlub wrote: »
    Is he the one that brought out a rap when he was trying to get elected as an MEP? I remember something about Fianna Fáil without the fada spelling Fianna Fail. Because no-one noticed that ever before...

The very same Alan Kelly.

--
    I'm content with the results in my constituency at least (Dub South West) - 2 Labour seats, and Fianna Fáil fall from 2 to 0. No real complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Not too many lefties (i.e. actual ones, not Labour) on C&H ;___;

The United Left Alliance and other far left parties have policies that are very unappealing to most people. That is why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Commies the lot of them

<_<

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'd consider myself a leftie, but I haven't really seen much of the "real" left-wing proposing feasible changes that would benefit us, either in the short or long-term.
    I'm glad we got a few lefties and leftist independents in the Dáil, but I'm equally glad that they don't have that much power.

If too much left-wing stuff were to get pushed in at the moment I can see a lot of businesses getting spooked, if not by the immediate changes then by fear that more will come in an attempt to deal with the economy, the last thing we need is for businesses here to reconsider their involvement here.
    tbf we probably could get a bit more from them than we do, we have a fairly skilled workforce and could still be among the cheapest for them to stay in even with a slight increase, but, as unfortunate as it may be, we have to clearly understand that they're here by choice, and we want to keep them here, and encourage others to join them.

Also the hard-line lefties tend to be opposed to our involvement in Europe, which is a major issue I can't agree with them on, and could do a lot of damage to the economy and our standing with our neighbours.

That's not to say I think Labour have the balance right either, I don't think they do, but we need to worry about stability before we can look to the future and consider any major shifts.

3 days later, and on the 15th count and Wicklow has their first elected TD. Andrew Doyle for FG.

Also, of course after Dick Roche's recount, he ended up have less votes and being eliminated anyway.

kateos2 wrote: »
    Also, of course after Dick Roche's recount, he ended up have less votes and being eliminated anyway.

What goes around comes around

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I'd consider myself a leftie, but I haven't really seen much of the "real" left-wing proposing feasible changes that would benefit us, either in the short or long-term.
    I'm glad we got a few lefties and leftist independents in the Dáil, but I'm equally glad that they don't have that much power.

If too much left-wing stuff were to get pushed in at the moment I can see a lot of businesses getting spooked, if not by the immediate changes then by fear that more will come in an attempt to deal with the economy, the last thing we need is for businesses here to reconsider their involvement here.
    tbf we probably could get a bit more from them than we do, we have a fairly skilled workforce and could still be among the cheapest for them to stay in even with a slight increase, but, as unfortunate as it may be, we have to clearly understand that they're here by choice, and we want to keep them here, and encourage others to join them.

Also the hard-line lefties tend to be opposed to our involvement in Europe, which is a major issue I can't agree with them on, and could do a lot of damage to the economy and our standing with our neighbours.

That's not to say I think Labour have the balance right either, I don't think they do, but we need to worry about stability before we can look to the future and consider any major shifts.

This sums up my general opinion better than I could myself. Excellent post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

There's talk that Labour want Finance. Um, how about no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

MavisDavis wrote: »
    There's talk that Labour want Finance. Um, how about no?

Or...... how about yes?:) Labour do have some very good economic mnds in their front bench (Ruari Quiin, Joan Burton) and having a Labour Finance minister would keep the coalition stable. Also, Quinn was Finance Minister from 1994-97 and was one of the best ever who set the foundations for the real Celtic Tiger.

We can't have a left wing party taking finance. We need Centrist party's for finance.

We can't have a left wing party taking finance. We need Centrist party's for finance.

Why? And by the way, Labour is left-of centre and not left-wing.

kev9100 wrote: »
    Also, Quinn was Finance Minister from 1994-97 and was one of the best ever who set the foundations for the real Celtic Tiger.
    Very true, and I would have no problem seeing him returned to that portfolio.

Burton I would have serious doubts about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Seems more likely Burton would get Enterprise.

Fine Gael want Finance, and chances are, they're going to get it. I reckon it'll be Noonan's.

Also, hopefully FG will get Health. James Reilly could do wonders as the Minister there, and the fact that he's a doctor/ former IMO-president means he'll actually know that some things only work on paper. FG's full of Docs, Twomey and Varadker both studied Medicine as well, so it'll be good to see their input. (Although I know Varadker probably won't touch health!)

Also, haven't been here to sob at the state of my constituency.
    Seriously. OVER 13,000 FIRST PREFERENCE VOTES?
    The majority of people who voted in Wexford are clearly giant FUCKING RETARDS

wallace1-300x244.jpg

Mick "My policy is that I have no policies and am making no promises" Wallace.

Oh GOD.

• Advertisement

Also...

James Reilly. I reckon that's actually a pseudonym. Really, he's Fintan Stack. From Father Ted.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=619&filename=64808337.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

174106_100002019348502_4856099_n.jpg

We had this fine man in Wicklow. First I heard of him was when I was voting. Tbh, I wanted to just vote for his beard.

Also, this was our voting card. Ridiculous amount of independents. 24 candidates in total.

249765478.jpg

Aye, I saw it! Yer man's a lege. Not the first election he ran for either. Aha!

Apparently Dick Roche blamed his name being so far down in the corner of the 2nd page for not getting enough votes, as it was a bit hidden. Oh lol.

Also, seemingly loads of votes were spoiled because people wrote 1, 2, 3 etc on both pages. Which is fine, because if you're silly enough to do that you probably don't deserve to vote tbh...

bythewoods wrote: »
    Also, haven't been here to sob at the state of my constituency.
    Seriously. OVER 13,000 FIRST PREFERENCE VOTES?
    The majority of people who voted in Wexford are clearly giant FUCKING RETARDS

wallace1-300x244.jpg

Mick "My policy is that I have no policies and am making no promises" Wallace.

Oh GOD.
    Well, at least he's telling it how it is, which is unusual enough in a politician to be worth noting! And I'm all for political candidates who don't spend their time making promises they won't keep anyway ...

And I'd take him any day over the like of Michael Lowry or pater et fils Healy-Rae!

Tbh, I think the likes of Mick Wallace and Luke Flanagan are the people of Ireland sticking two fingers up at FF and the political parties generally and telling them how sick they are of the codswallop and the cute hoor-ism and the salaries and the expenses and the perks and the ... well, I'll stop before this becomes tl:dr!

I sympathise, btw.

Dick Roche should shut his mouth. Who cares. FF got what they deserved.

Dublin South elected; Mitchell, Shatter, Ross, White and Matthews. Sorry but there names weren't the first five on the ballot paper. I had to find the candidate I was voting for's name on the ballot paper, when I got the ballot paper.

bythewoods wrote: »
    Seems more likely Burton would get Enterprise.

Fine Gael want Finance, and chances are, they're going to get it. I reckon it'll be Noonan's.

Normally I would agree that FG would get finance, but people and FG need to remember this will not be a coalition like FF/PDS and FF/Greens. Labour is the second largest party in the State, with the largest amount of seats it has ever got and will demand some VERY big cabinet positions and policies.

Well, at least he's telling it how it is, which is unusual enough in a politician to be worth noting! And I'm all for political candidates who don't spend their time making promises they won't keep anyway ...

And I'd take him any day over the like of Michael Lowry or pater et fils Healy-Rae!

Tbh, I think the likes of Mick Wallace and Luke Flanagan are the people of Ireland sticking two fingers up at FF and the political parties generally and telling them how sick they are of the codswallop and the cute hoor-ism and the salaries and the expenses and the perks and the ... well, I'll stop before this becomes tl:dr!

I sympathise, btw.

We all hate politician's false promises, but offering absolutely no solutions, ideas or even hope is hardly laudable! It's easy to be honest when you're open about the fact that you intend to do absolutely nothing!
    Although he has promised to shower. Which is nice.

Also, Wallace actually told people to give their #2 to Sean Connick, FF. Eh?
    Connick lost his seat by the way, which is genuinely a shame. A case of a great politician in a toxic party.

It just seems to me that Wallace is everything people should hate. He's on the brink of bankruptcy, with debts of over €40million. A failed developer, blaming the system and not his own greed, and now a politician who's going to do nothing but arse around shouting out his ridiculous opinions. He's taking the absolute piss like, and I'm hoping he pulls a filthy George Lee on it and gets the hell out of politics asap, so we can elect a real representative in a by-election.

Some serious public anger came out in these elections alright. Boyd-Barrett, Joan Collins, Higgins, far too many SF-ers and a whole range of other "Fuck you, system" candidates. Luke Flanagan's obviously another rant. Although if I was from Roscommon I'd probably need to take the edge off somehow too.

kev9100 wrote: »
    Normally I would agree that FG would get finance, but people and FG need to remember this will not be a coalition like FF/PDS and FF/Greens. Labour is the second largest party in the State, with the largest amount of seats it has ever got and will demand some VERY big cabinet positions and policies.

Apparently, FG would be willing to offer an extra Ministerial position to Labour just to ensure they get Finance. That's according to thejournal.ie, so I'm really not sure how reliable that info is of course!

Finance is probably the biggest position, and certainly an incredibly important one, and seeing as FG are the largest political force I can't see them not getting their way on this one! I expect Labour will take some of the other biggies. Education perhaps.

George Lee was a bit different. He thought he would walk onto FG's front bench and be spokesperson for finance until Richard Bruton gave him a tap on the shoulder and told him that he was in charge of finance for the party.

We all know what happened next. Lee resigned and quit politics. Bruton went on to challenge Enda Kenny and came off worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I would much prefer Noonan in finance than anyone else tbh, he seems to be quite sharp. I'm actually slightly disappointed there's a Labour coalition, and part of me would prefer - here it goes - a FF and FG coalition. The public service is in DIRE need of serious reform (especially the HSE), and with Labour in a coalition, it's gonna be a nightmare to make the cuts. While FG's plans are questionable too in how realistic they are, Labour's plans seem to be pulled from nowhere. Vague things like save "20% of cutting waste in the public service".

Their new levies just sound like they're renaming and reorganising levies we already have. I've a feeling the electorate has been fed a decent load of BS, and not just from Labour.

Overall, it was quite a disappointing election. Once again, Ireland fails to produce any inspiring political candidates. A lack of honesty (we're fecked, and recovering, Christ, it won't be easy or nice at all, but we'll do it, who said that?!) pervaded everything and I've a feeling there's been plenty of hollow promises. Everytime I had the time to watch a debate, all I could hear was Enda Kenny criticising FF's decisions, and then mentioning "5 point plan" like everytime he said it it made him a million Euros (although it probably got him 100 gullible voters).

FG and Labour did not come out so well in this election because they were the best options, but they were the only options, unless you consider the likes of SF plausible (PULL OUTTA THE EU/IMF DEAL!!! lul). That is quite disappointing.

Advertisement