Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&H General Election Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

bythewoods wrote: »
    Some serious public anger came out in these elections alright. Boyd-Barrett, Joan Collins, Higgins, far too many SF-ers and a whole range of other "Fuck you, system" candidates. Luke Flanagan's obviously another rant. Although if I was from Roscommon I'd probably need to take the edge off somehow too.

In fairness to Higgins he was a cert once the constituency became a 4 seater. Even if it was a 3 seater and there was no financial crisis he'd still be fighting it out with Burton for the 3rd seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

jumpguy wrote: »
    I would much prefer Noonan in finance than anyone else tbh, he seems to be quite sharp. I'm actually slightly disappointed there's a Labour coalition, and part of me would prefer - here it goes - a FF and FG coalition. The public service is in DIRE need of serious reform (especially the HSE), and with Labour in a coalition, it's gonna be a nightmare to make the cuts. While FG's plans are questionable too in how realistic they are, Labour's plans seem to be pulled from nowhere. Vague things like save "20% of cutting waste in the public service".

Their new levies just sound like they're renaming and reorganising levies we already have. I've a feeling the electorate has been fed a decent load of BS, and not just from Labour.

Overall, it was quite a disappointing election. Once again, Ireland fails to produce any inspiring political candidates. A lack of honesty (we're fecked, and recovering, Christ, it won't be easy or nice at all, but we'll do it, who said that?!) pervaded everything and I've a feeling there's been plenty of hollow promises. Everytime I had the time to watch a debate, all I could hear was Enda Kenny criticising FF's decisions, and then mentioning "5 point plan" like everytime he said it it made him a million Euros (although it probably got him 100 gullible voters).

FG and Labour did not come out so well in this election because they were the best options, but they were the only options, unless you consider the likes of SF plausible (PULL OUTTA THE EU/IMF DEAL!!! lul). That is quite disappointing.

A FF/FG coalition would actually, on paper, be brilliant. They're both right of centre, and both have a lot of similar ideas, ideals and policies.
    Realistically though, it'd be a giant disaster. There would be public outrage, there really would. Plus, there is a need for drastic change, or at least... the perception that change is happening. It's time for FF to step aside for a bit.

I had hoped for a single FG government, with a rake of independents, but there aren't even 7 indos in there who should be picked.
    My reason here isn't by any means a blueshirts-love, but with Labour also in Government, the opposition is incredibly weak, with far too many Big Lefties floating around. Plus, as you said, Labour just don't seem to want to cut anything! They want to reverse the extra 500€ which was added to the college reg fee (Very very much so doubt that'll happen!), bring back up the minimum wage and basically give everyone everything. Not realistic.

Perhaps though, the 2 will balance each other out. Getting the strongest of the 2 parties can't be a bad thing. Although, Joan Burton is one of Labour's big players, which says a lot about them imo...

Also, would disagree that we got nobody inspiring. There's a few characters in who are genuinely brilliant.
    Wicklow did good, and voted in Stephen Donnelly! Possibly the best qualified man for the job possible? He wrote his thesis on the interaction between the IMF and small states FFS!! In Harvard, no less. And Shane Ross, he's incredible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

We all hate politician's false promises, but offering absolutely no solutions, ideas or even hope is hardly laudable! It's easy to be honest when you're open about the fact that you intend to do absolutely nothing!
    In fairness, both in language and in reality, there is a big difference between not making specific promises, and "being open about the fact that you intend to do nothing". :)
    Also, Wallace actually told people to give their #2 to Sean Connick, FF. Eh?
    Connick lost his seat by the way, which is genuinely a shame. A case of a great politician in a toxic party.
    Um, re-read those sentences. Spot the internal inconsistency / irony!

Maybe Wallace told people to give their No. 2 to Connick because he too thinks that Sean is "a case of a great politician in a toxic party"?
    Luke Flanagan's obviously another rant. Although if I was from Roscommon I'd probably need to take the edge off somehow too.
    I met and had a couple of long chats with Luke a couple of years back. I found him to be eccentric, but I'd hazard a tenner on his basic honesty and sincerity ... and on his passion.

That's €9.98 more than I'd chance on those qualities in most politicians from any hue!

He certainly hears and marches to the beat of a slightly different drum to the "mainstream". But then, there are many people in Ireland who do, who like Luke see the world slightly differently and tend to be emasculated by the political system. Maybe it's time they had a voice too. Maybe that's what democracy (as opposed to politics) is actually about.
    A FF/FG coalition would actually, on paper, be brilliant. They're both right of centre...
    I agree, they're the two sides of the same coin, and the sooner they merge the better, we might actually get some realistic political choice emerging in this country. I'm actually hopeful after this election about one thing, by the way ... that the Collins / Dev debate is finally fading from our political landscape. To a historian like myself, watching FG TDs take seats on FF transfers was bemusing; to a political cynic who yearns for some ray of hope in the cesspit of Irish politics, I dared to hope that I had found it.
    Realistically though, it'd be a giant disaster. There would be public outrage, there really would. Plus, there is a need for drastic change, or at least... the perception that change is happening. It's time for FF to step aside for a bit.
    Unfortunately for the above aspiration that Tweedledum and Tweedledee would finally stop fighting over who broke the tricycle, and make up / merge, you're right here too. FF back in government at any level at this stage would be insupportable to the majority of the people of Ireland, and rightly so.
    I had hoped for a single FG government, with a rake of independents, but there aren't even 7 indos in there who should be picked.
    I'd say that would be Enda's worse nightmare tbh.

A minority FG government, relying on Independents? With a strong Labour leading the opposition?

Nope, he'd prefer them in with him to share the blame!

The other scenario could easily see Labour push ahead of BOTH FF and FG in the next election, and FG are well aware of that danger.
    Perhaps though, the 2 will balance each other out.
    They have before, quite successfully actually.
    Although, Joan Burton is one of Labour's big players, which says a lot about them imo...
    Imho, she's deputy leader because she's a woman, and she IS a very hard worker. (Was Mary Coughlan really the second most capable person in the FF parliamentary party?!) They have some very good talent to draw on, and hopefully more elected this time from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

The other scenario could easily see Labour push ahead of BOTH FF and FG in the next election, and FG are well aware of that danger.

They have before, quite successfully actually.

Imho, she's deputy leader because she's a woman, and she IS a very hard worker. (Was Mary Coughlan really the second most capable person in the FF parliamentary party?!) They have some very good talent to draw on, and hopefully more elected this time from what I've seen.

The problem with that is that unfrotunately Labour tend to be very weak in rural areas. Admittely, Labour did better than usual in rural areas this time but still quite pour when compared to theri performance in urban areas. Although, as a big Labour supporter I would love to see them overtake FG.

Also, while Joan Burton is far from the best performer on TV, she does have a very good economic brain and I believe has performed quite well as Finance Spokeswoman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

MavisDavis wrote: »
    There's talk that Labour want Finance. Um, how about no?
    They won't get it. FG won't budge on that.
    Although I think Enda shot himself in the foot a little by demoting Bruton from the finance portfolio; ok, so he tried and failed to gain leadership. That was unfortunate. But the general consensus was that Bruton would be the best man for Finance minister.

No offence to Noonan, who I actually quite like, but I don't think he knows the economy as well as Bruton does.
    unknown13 wrote:
    We can't have a left wing party taking finance. We need Centrist party's for finance.
    I agree. But Labour aren't left-wing; they've moving towards the centre for years now. Which is a good thing imo.
    I would prefer to see them more willing to tell the unions to feck off, but they're certainly more moderate than the other left-wing parties in the Dáil. Joe Higgins is a hard worker, a decent man and a great public speaker, but I wouldn't let him within 5 miles of the Department of Finance!
    Also, hopefully FG will get Health. James Reilly could do wonders as the Minister there, and the fact that he's a doctor/ former IMO-president means he'll actually know that some things only work on paper. FG's full of Docs, Twomey and Varadker both studied Medicine as well, so it'll be good to see their input. (Although I know Varadker probably won't touch health!)

Agree that Riley would be best man for Health. Personally I shudder at the thought of Varadkar getting any high profile job. That man is probably the most arrogant, snide and downright unlikeable politician in the country right now. I don't care how good he is at his job, everytime I see his smug face I would quite like to punch it.
    A FF/FG coalition would actually, on paper, be brilliant. They're both right of centre, and both have a lot of similar ideas, ideals and policies.
    Realistically though, it'd be a giant disaster. There would be public outrage, there really would.
    Yup. That's true alright.

ZOMG THINK OF DA WARRRR!!!! Shur wouldn't Dev be rollin' in his grave if Paddy voted for a Blueshirt? :rolleyes:
    Still to this day, in the minds of some, FG = pro treaty and FF = anti-treaty and some people will unfortunately never let that go. I'd imagine this election shows that trend slowly dying though, as randy mentioned. Which is great.

As for the possibility of a FF/FG coalition, before the whole economic debacle, I'd have been more on the side of FF than FG. But even as someone who isn't rabidly anti-FF, I would not like to have seen them in government again. They need time on the opposition benches and a good long rethink about how they conduct themselves. I don't know if Micheál Martin is the right man to reform FF and get rid of the tribal politics and corruption, but I hope he is. The young generation of upcoming FF gives me some bit of optimism, at least.
    I'm glad Labour are there tbh. FG are too socially conservative, and while a single party right wing government may help our economy, it won't do any good in other areas. Labour are not the pushovers that the PDs and the Greens were; their presence in a coalition can only be a good thing. FG won't be able to steamroll over them the same way FF destroyed their coalition partners.
    Although, Joan Burton is one of Labour's big players, which says a lot about them imo...
    An awful speaker, a walking PR disaster and will never live down the "haranguing" debacle on Vincent Brown.
    I don't like the woman but I do believe she knows her stuff. She's not as hopelessly incompetent as she's made out to be, she just does herself no favours with her temperment.
    And I doubt she would ever become leader of the party; if Gilmore suddenly decided to step down, I'd imagine someone like Brendan Howlin stepping in. Or Ruarí Quinn may have another go.
    Also, would disagree that we got nobody inspiring.
    I know you'll disagree with this, but as far as single issue candidates go, I'm glad that Ming Flanagan is in the Dáil. :D

• Advertisement

kev9100 wrote: »
    The problem with that is that unfrotunately Labour tend to be very weak in rural areas.
    Yes and no. Yes, of course, Labour are stronger in urban areas / Dublin, and generally have been. However, there are very rural constituencies which Labour have traditionally been very strong, and very often the only difference between those constituencies and other rural constituencies is that (a) they have identified a good candidate (or in the past often have one present him- or herself to them) and (b) they have then put their shoulders to the wheel and worked!

For example, Kerry North (now Kerry North / West Limerick) has had Labour representation almost the entire time since 1943, and with the possible exception of Tralee it's a very rural constituency. Dan Spring (probably the most respected of the family locally) was TD from 1943-1981. His son Dick represented the constituency from 1981-2002. Martin Ferris took that seat for SF when he retired, at least partly because there was no obvious successor in the Labour ranks, but Arthur Spring has re-captured the Labour seat this time round, though at the expense of FF, not Ferris.

In Longford-Westmeath, again a very rural constituency, Willie Penrose topped the poll on his first outing in 2007; he did it again (less surprisingly) this time. This in a constituency which had a Labour TD from 1922-30, and basically was forgotten by Labour in between, and forgot about them just as thoroughly!

I think a lot of the problem is a Labour mindset that they are a party of the cities, despite any evidence to the contrary, and therefore traditionally they don't focus that much on rural constituencies ... whereas the actual evidence is that with the right candidates Labour can do very well in rural areas.

Perhaps this election will drive that message home.
    Also, while Joan Burton is far from the best performer on TV, she does have a very good economic brain and I believe has performed quite well as Finance Spokeswoman.
    She's far from the best performer in dealing with people in civilised debate ... she harangues them, in the Dáil, on tv, everywhere. The next Minister for Finance will need to be as much a diplomat as an economic brain, which lets Joan right out. Best Labour choice for Finance would be Quinn, he has the experience ... but it will probably be Richard Bruton or Michael Noonan from FG.

If I were Kenny or Gilmore, I would be plopping Joan in Social Welfare or maybe even Health. Both would be close to her heart, as I said she is a hard worker, and capable in her own way, and she has a dog-after-a-bone attitude which would probably stand her in good stead in either department.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Willie Penrose

TEHEHEHEHE >_>

Fad wrote: »
    TEHEHEHEHE >_>

Child!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Or...... how about yes?:) Labour do have some very good economic mnds in their front bench (Ruari Quiin, Joan Burton) and having a Labour Finance minister would keep the coalition stable. Also, Quinn was Finance Minister from 1994-97 and was one of the best ever who set the foundations for the real Celtic Tiger.

I will agree that Labour have some good economic policies, but so do Fine Gael (in fact, I think theirs are better overall) and they also have twice the number of seats Labour have. It should go to Noonan or Bruton, though I have heard talk that both of them will be involved as Enda is considering splitting the department in two.

In Longford-Westmeath, again a very rural constituency, Willie Penrose topped the poll on his first outing in 2007; he did it again (less surprisingly) this time. This in a constituency which had a Labour TD from 1922-30, and basically was forgotten by Labour in between, and forgot about them just as thoroughly!

Oh, Willie Penrose is there are hell of a lot longer than 4 years! I've been hearing about how magnificent that man is (from my grandparents who live in Mullingar) since I was born! Willie tops the Longford-Westmeath poll because he's been a Westmeath T.D. since 1992. That region gets confusing because they keep chopping and changing the constituency borders.

The sheer love of Penrose in Westmeath (I don't know about Longford) never seems to change, though! They are definitely capable of loving Labour in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Oh, Willie Penrose is there are hell of a lot longer than 4 years! I've been hearing about how magnificent that man is (from my grandparents who live in Mullingar) since I was born! Willie tops the Longford-Westmeath poll because he's been a Westmeath T.D. since 1992.
    Was about to say that, sure he was nearly made deputy leader of the labour party back in 2002
    The sheer love of Penrose in Westmeath (I don't know about Longford) never seems to change, though! They are definitely capable of loving Labour in rural areas.
    You don't really hear much about the Westmeath candidates around Longford -and vice versa. They don't bother canvassing across the boarder at all because no one wants to elected a TD from another county.

• Advertisement

Oh, Willie Penrose is there are hell of a lot longer than 4 years! I've been hearing about how magnificent that man is (from my grandparents who live in Mullingar) since I was born! Willie tops the Longford-Westmeath poll because he's been a Westmeath T.D. since 1992. That region gets confusing because they keep chopping and changing the constituency borders.
    My apologies, that makes more sense actually, I thought he was around longer than that and was surprised to see him coming up from 2007 only, forgot that Longford-Westmeath was split up in '92 and only re-united in 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

kateos2 wrote: »
    249765478.jpg

Where was that photo taken?

amacachi wrote: »

That's the ballot paper for Wicklow, as far as I know.

That's the ballot paper for Wicklow, as far as I know.

I didn't think there'd be a legal way to get that photo is what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm not sure, I just found it in the General Election forum.

kateos2 wrote: »
    249765478.jpg

Mr. Gerry Kinsella is a little camera-shy, I see. I'm assuming he didn't get in? I know I wouldn't vote for a candidate who is considered so insignificant that their picture didn't even make the ballot paper! :pac:

I didn't think there'd be a legal way to get that photo is what I meant.

There must be, because I saw it on the RTE website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Yes and no. Yes, of course, Labour are stronger in urban areas / Dublin, and generally have been. However, there are very rural constituencies which Labour have traditionally been very strong, and very often the only difference between those constituencies and other rural constituencies is that (a) they have identified a good candidate (or in the past often have one present him- or herself to them) and (b) they have then put their shoulders to the wheel and worked!

For example, Kerry North (now Kerry North / West Limerick) has had Labour representation almost the entire time since 1943, and with the possible exception of Tralee it's a very rural constituency. Dan Spring (probably the most respected of the family locally) was TD from 1943-1981. His son Dick represented the constituency from 1981-2002. Martin Ferris took that seat for SF when he retired, at least partly because there was no obvious successor in the Labour ranks, but Arthur Spring has re-captured the Labour seat this time round, though at the expense of FF, not Ferris.

I think a lot of the problem is a Labour mindset that they are a party of the cities, despite any evidence to the contrary, and therefore traditionally they don't focus that much on rural constituencies ... whereas the actual evidence is that with the right candidates Labour can do very well in rural areas.

Perhaps this election will drive that message home.

They appear to also have a strong tradition in Wexford and Sligo town.
    Mr. Gerry Kinsella is a little camera-shy, I see. I'm assuming he didn't get in? I know I wouldn't vote for a candidate who is considered so insignificant that their picture didn't even make the ballot paper! :pac:

One independent candidate in Mayo was from a village near me and nobody had ever heard of him. The local papers tried contacting him to find ut his policies and couldn't reach him or find any photos of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Programme for Government out (PDF file of it here).

Just skimming through it now, doesn't seem as bad as I was expecting, though I'm not even halfway through, and they probably hid the more controversial stuff somewhere near the end :p.
    I'll probably give it a proper read later on.

They have said that within 12 months they should have a report about the possibility of amendments to the constitution w.r.t. same-sex marriage, blasphemy, the role of women and lowering the voting age, but they're not a priority, priority being given to parliamentary reform.
    Reasonable enough, but I'm hoping they stick to their plans to investigate within the year rather than pushing them aside further.

Lots of ambitious changes being promised as well.
    Will be great if they actually get this stuff done, long overdue and it's definitely the right time at the moment given how eager everyone is to see change.
    Cautiously optimistic at the moment but I guess we'll have to wait and see how/if it's actually implemented.

Also lots of vague promises about "Digital Ireland", grand bitta employment opportunity for people like me >.>

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Programme for Government out (PDF file of it here).

Just skimming through it now, doesn't seem as bad as I was expecting, though I'm not even halfway through, and they probably hid the more controversial stuff somewhere near the end :p.
    I'll probably give it a proper read later on.

They have said that within 12 months they should have a report about the possibility of amendments to the constitution w.r.t. same-sex marriage, blasphemy, the role of women and lowering the voting age, but they're not a priority, priority being given to parliamentary reform.
    Reasonable enough, but I'm hoping they stick to their plans to investigate within the year rather than pushing them aside further.

Lots of ambitious changes being promised as well.
    Will be great if they actually get this stuff done, long overdue and it's definitely the right time at the moment given how eager everyone is to see change.
    Cautiously optimistic at the moment but I guess we'll have to wait and see how/if it's actually implemented.

Also lots of vague promises about "Digital Ireland", grand bitta employment opportunity for people like me >.>

Am I going to get less money? :(

• Advertisement

Only skimmed it too ... some pretty good stuff in there, some very broad aspirational stuff, a few bits that would worry me. Very short on the details of "how" in places.

Tbh, I would have liked to see it laid out something like:

1. 5-7 broad aspirational goals (1 page)

2. In the next year we will: a number of clear measures / goals with full *details* of how attached (3-5 pages)

3. In the following year we will: again, a number of clear measures / goals, with a reasonable level of detail as to the how (3-5 pages)

4. In the remainder of our term of office we will: broader brush-strokes, *some* sense of how ...

That said, they only had a few days, and it's not a bad beginning. There does seem to be a strong focus on trying to get people back to work, which didn't really seem to be a priority with FF while they concentrated on saving their buddies in the banks.

A few bits which caught my eye, not nec. because they're the most important, but for all sorts of reasons of my own ...

... "Accelerate capital works that are ‘shovel ready’ and labour intensive including schools and secondary roads." I know it costs money, and that's scarce, but (a) it creates jobs (and saves money elsewhere in Social Welfare) and (b) it makes sense to undertake capital works at a time when construction costs are lower than they have been in a decade plus.

... A commitment to developing the digital games industry. This is a huge market worldwide, it's not going to disappear, it's clean industry, the UK has focussed on it and is punching well above its weight, no reason why Ireland can't too.

... A strong emphasis on R&D

... "We will legislate to end upward only rent reviews for existing leases." Badly needed.

... "We will seek to capture some public good from NAMA by identifying buildings that have no commercial potential, and which might be suitable as local facilities for art and culture". I like, but I think they should also look at NAMA holdings in conjunction with their aspirations in the Social Housing area.

Lots of good intentions on reform of political processes, wonder how much will actually happen.

I wonder as well about costings, and about how they are going to implement this very ambitious work programme and at the same time implement massive cuts in public service numbers.

Seemed to me that they hid the vaguer stuff towards the end tbh.

I was pretty happy to see that organ donation is supposedly to be made opt-out (Yeah, I tend to focus on some pretty specific issues), it's about time tbh.
    Now we just need to start providing sub-par treatment to those who opt-out.
    Gotta make sure their decision acts both ways >.>

I'm actually only half joking, I really don't think those who opt-out of organ donation should have the right to receive one.

Apart from that I'm mainly just hoping they hurry up and push through any constitutional amendments and parliamentary reforms, if they put them off for too long I can't see them ever happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I was pretty happy to see that organ donation is supposedly to be made opt-out (Yeah, I tend to focus on some pretty specific issues), it's about time tbh.
    Now we just need to start providing sub-par treatment to those who opt-out.
    Gotta make sure their decision acts both ways >.>

Its people's bodies they can do what they want with them. You can't punish people with worse health care if they make a decision you don't agree with.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Its people's bodies they can do what they want with them. You can't punish people with worse health care if they make a decision you don't agree with.

It would be providing them with the exact same level of healthcare they're willing to provide others with.
    If you for some reason turn around and say "I'm sorry, no-one is allowed to have my organs when I die, even if it would save their life" then I don't see why we should consider you equally eligible for an organ when one comes available.

There is no valid reason for withholding your organs after you die.
    There are religious complaints against it, but they tend to work both ways anyway (those who won't donate organs also refuse to receive them), in which case making receiving an organ dependent on not opting-out won't make a difference.

Don't have time to read that all in detail- Thanks for the link though Pygmalion!

Skimmed through it all, and stopped to properly look through the 7 pages on the Health system.

Looks like there are going to be some radical changes! I'm nervously excited about the prospect of Universal Health Insurance. I'm not convinced it's going to be a good thing just yet, but it certainly does have the potential to be.

The fact that Mental Health services are to be reformed, as FG promised, and as they hammered home during the lead up to the election, is simply brilliant. I'd strongly consider going into an area of Medicine with a link to mental health, and it's definitely true that there's a massive stigma associated with it, and that it's shunned quite a lot in relation to other areas. Even simple things like better training in the area for GPs could make a huge difference, so I am delighted about the amount of focus they've put on this whole thing.

Other areas close to my med-studenty heart are Neurology and Geriatrics, so the mention of an Alzheimer's awareness programme is also great news. Something which effects so many older people, would be great for a bit more focus to be given to it.

Other bits and pieces that stood out to me:
    We will legislate to regulate stem cell research
    - Great news.
    We acknowledge the recent ruling of the European Court of Human Rights subsequent to the established ruling of the Irish Supreme Court on the X-case. We will establish an expert group to address this issue, drawing on appropriate medical and legal expertise with a view to making recommendations to Government on how this matter should be properly addressed.

For anyone who doesn't know, they're basically talking about the right to an abortion if the mother's life is at risk because of that pregnancy, including the risk of suicide. What they said is very wishy washy, and the fact that they didn't actually mention the word "abortion" says a lot. I know it's a very touchy subject, but it's a huge thing like, so it'd be great if there was some work done on the whole abortion thing in Ireland.

Also, free primary care! They're going to try and employ huge numbers of new GPs and increase training places. Good news! Although, I don't see myself going down that path.
    It's something that caught a lot of people's attention, but it'll be years before it's implemented, seeing as they're phasing it in, firstly for people with Long Term Illnesses, on the LTI drug scheme, and then to people on the HTDS. Whatever about free hospital care and universal health insurance, I think free GP visits (within reason) would be a great thing... provided GPs don't end up making a huge financial loss out of it.

Anyway. TLDR: I <3 Health.

We will legislate to regulate stem cell research.

What does this actually mean when they say "regulate"? :confused: That to me sounds like they're clamping down on it, but the wording is ambiguous so I could be wrong.

I know FG are completely against embryonic stem cell research; I suspect any hopes of advancement in that field will not come to fruition under a FG government. :( I assumed they had no problem with adult stem cell research, but with this "regulation" they speak of I'm not too sure.

What does this actually mean when they say "regulate"? :confused: That to me sounds like they're clamping down on it, but the wording is ambiguous so I could be wrong.

I know FG are completely against embryonic stem cell research; I suspect any hopes of advancement in that field will not come to fruition under a FG government. :( I assumed they had no problem with adult stem cell research, but with this "regulation" they speak of I'm not too sure.

Actually, when I first skimmed through it I thought it was a positive thing, moreso that they would allow it as opposed to preventing even adult stem cell research.

Someone else just pointed out to me on twitter the same thing you did; it's incredibly ambiguous, and could actually mean the very opposite of what I originally thought. That's pretty much the case for so much in the document! They touch on topics, but don't actually say what exactly they plan to do about them.

AFAIK, it's legal to currently import stem cells for use in research, yeah? Incredibly bad news if they try and crack down on that.

Let's hope for the best anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Skimmed through the majority of it - very vague but quite hopeful at the same time. Excellent news on their approach to health / mental health / constitutional change (blasphemy law in particular), while it's encouraging to see they're gonna make expenses for politicians more accountable (some of the stuff that went on before was pretty ridiculous).

Bit apprehensive of the water scheme they're proposing but that's based purely on selfish reasons since not including alcoholic beverages I don't drink anything but the stuff. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

IAPxd.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm watching "The Naked Election" on RTÉ, it's a programme about the whole election from canvassing to the count. It's really interesting.

One of the things that's really píssing me off those is Luke "Ming" Flanagan and his flagrant disregard for the law. Yes, we all know you want to legalise cannabis, but as of now, it's an illegal substance. I don't want to hear you, first as the Mayor of Roscommon and now as an elected T.D., talking about how you relax in the evening with a joint made from illegal drugs you grow yourself. How is he getting away with this? He should logically be arrested. I find it hypocritical that he's comparing the outgoing government to criminals when he's technically acting like one himself. Just because you think you've got a "mandate" to bring up the debate on legalising cannabis doesn't mean you can sit around smoking it while it's still illegal!

This rant isn't about whether cannabis should be legalised, by the way. That's a debate for another thread and my opinion of it doesn't come into it. It's about T.D.s, the law makers of Ireland, respecting the law!

Advertisement