Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&H General Election Thread

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I... but tbf I do agree that Burton can probably do a good job - much as I dislike her, she's stubborn and will get the job done. I can respect that.
    Lol, exactly the way I would see it!!
    I guess Creighton would have been seen as a strong candidate for them, but, well, she kinda shot herself in the foot, and I'm very, very glad she's not part of the cabinet.
    Moi aussi!! >.<
    FG really do need to get the ball rolling on encouraging women to run. They are the senior partners in government, so they will hopefully be some of the first to implement some change. FF are allegedly planning to do this, so I can't see FG wanting to be upstaged... :pac:
    I don't have any stats to back this up, but my *impression* would be that they are probably the worst of the main parties on this issue, certainly in later years.
    Olivia Mitchell possibly would have gotten something if she hadn't been part of the "attempt to heave Kenny" debacle.
    Actually, yes, Mitchell is capable. Might get a junior post to cut her teeth on perhaps.
    If Kenny had a sense of humour though, he'd have given Transport to Mary Mitchell O'Connor!
    She will *never* live that down tbh!
    amacachi wrote: »
    Unfortunately the state jobs at least in that sector seem to generally be going to civil servants rather than engineers. Looking at a mate's class who finished a couple of years ago (electronic engineering) there's not a huge amount happening or else a Masters is needed.
    Weren't the ESB planning some big push / new projects until the money got tight?

Might get a bit of funding in a year or two as part of the limited capital projects to create jobs promised in the Prog. for Govt. ... if they can squeeze a few bob somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

jumpguy wrote: »
    Overall I'm pleased with the cabinet. Not very pleased with the first meeting of the 31st Dáil though, from the very off there was an arrogant snobbishness about the new government. When they asked for 30 minutes extra and Gerry Adams opposed it he got back some smart-alik answer.

I for one had absolutely no problem with my new "T.D." put in his place. What a tosser...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

MavisDavis wrote: »
    I for one had absolutely no problem with my new "T.D." put in his place. What a tosser...
    Who are you referring to? (Sorry, haven't been following this thread very closely so I'm not sure what constituency you're on about :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

jumpguy wrote: »
    Who are you referring to? (Sorry, haven't been following this thread very closely so I'm not sure what constituency you're on about :o)

Louth, Gerry Adams. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

MavisDavis wrote: »
    I'm watching "The Naked Election" on RTÉ, it's a programme about the whole election from canvassing to the count. It's really interesting.

One of the things that's really píssing me off those is Luke "Ming" Flanagan and his flagrant disregard for the law. Yes, we all know you want to legalise cannabis, but as of now, it's an illegal substance. I don't want to hear you, first as the Mayor of Roscommon and now as an elected T.D., talking about how you relax in the evening with a joint made from illegal drugs you grow yourself. How is he getting away with this? He should logically be arrested. I find it hypocritical that he's comparing the outgoing government to criminals when he's technically acting like one himself. Just because you think you've got a "mandate" to bring up the debate on legalising cannabis doesn't mean you can sit around smoking it while it's still illegal!

This rant isn't about whether cannabis should be legalised, by the way. That's a debate for another thread and my opinion of it doesn't come into it. It's about T.D.s, the law makers of Ireland, respecting the law!

He has turned up to prisons to serve his punishment on several occasions and been turned away by guards at the door.
    Hypocritical?
    Usually i dont reply to ridiculous posts from days ago but this one annoyed me. Flanagan openly accepts that he is technically a criminal and has turned himself in to the authorities several times. When he was starting out as a politician he was only ever prosecuted for "possession of cannabis" when he publicly spoke out against the government or other authorities. Aint that a funny coincidence?
    Some people just hate to see someone with a different approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

With the presidential election race entering its early stages. I think that this thread should be bumped.

Would it be possible for a mod to change the title of this thread to maybe: "The C&H politics discussion thread".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Or we could just start a new thread instead of resurrecting one with a GE poll etc in place...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'll start one now if somebody else isn't on the job.

EDIT: I just realized putting a poll on it is difficult as the list of candidates hasn't been finalized... Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I'll start one now if somebody else isn't on the job.

EDIT: I just realized putting a poll on it is difficult as the list of candidates hasn't been finalized... Any suggestions?

Surely a mod can add a poll later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

We have magical powers, but yeah I'm all for a new thread. I can add a poll in laters, just PM me or something in case I forget.

• Advertisement
Advertisement