Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&H General Election Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Here's mine.

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-4.00&soc=-2.46

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

http://finegael2011.com/valentine.asp

'Labour are red, Fine Gael are blue
    We wont increase your taxes like they want to do'

Excuse me while I puke....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm kind of glad I'm too young to vote tbh, because I'd be having a serious dilemma about finding anyone to vote for. I think there are only 6 people running in my constituency; I wouldn't vote FF or SF or for any of those Christian Solidarity (?) type parties and I'm liking the idea of Fine Gael being in power less and less - they seem to be extremely conservative and I'm not sure about Enda Kenny as taoiseach. So yeah, pirate party ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

That link is really cringeworthy. Yuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Why is everyone getting into the green one? :P

Are the other ones the evil peoples ones or something? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

eVeNtInE wrote: »

I've been hearing that quite a lot recently. I'm voting Labour/Left so I'm obviously biased but I really don't see the appeal. One of the biggest non-ideological criticisms of the last gov. was independents milking the system
    so they could get their pet projects. When a gov. needs independents to survive this is bound to happen time and time again.

Also having a coalition of the Right after laissez-faire capatilism got us into this mess doesn't appeal either.

The time is now for an effective Christian Party to be supported so that it can eventually win Dáil seats, and influence and change laws and policy in favour of Christian principles, and can challenge the secular and humanist agenda of all the political parties represented in Dáil Éireann.
    The CSP is firmly opposed to divorce because of its socially destructive effects, and we will work for the repeal of the fifteenth Amendment to the Constitution.
    Careful now.

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Why is everyone getting into the green one? :P

Are the other ones the evil peoples ones or something? :pac:
    302s6th.gif
    Apparently that Hitler guy did some crappy things, idk...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

• Co-location.
    • The learner driver laws.
    • The proposed mandatory health insurance scheme.
    • Not punishing the bankers that fúcked up the country.

They are right wing policies or decisions that the government have made recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

While I admit describng FF as right-wing is a stretch, they did and still do embrace an almost entirely unregulated style of capitilism and FG/IND gov. would do the same. I'm not calling for the abolition of the market or capitilism, but instead far more government regulation and protections.

Namlub wrote: »
    Apparently that Hitler guy did some crappy things, idk...

Idk I heard he was all for freeing the Jews..

Who's Friedman?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Hes a pretty good example of a certain line of economic thought though.

Ohh I know that guy! Adam Smith ftw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

That Fine Gael valentines is ridiculous. Whoever does their PR should be shot. It's just cock up after cock up with them.

unknown13 wrote: »
    • The learner driver laws.
    • Not punishing the bankers that fúcked up the country.

How on earth are these right wing policies?

Learner drivers laws - people now have to pay more and more before they do the test. They have to pay for lessons.

Not punishing the bankers - The bankers fúcked up the country. They (FF) let it pass for no reason. Bankers are considered middle to upper class. Hence why it was a right wing decision. Note; I said policies / decisions in that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I dunno if you're joking or not, but can you explain to me what part of letting the bankers get away with it isn't a right-wing decision?

There was a disgraceful lack of regulation in that sector for far too long, and when **** goes down the blame is placed on everyone but those in charge and it's up to everyone else to take a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

I got a far worse one through the door today from Sinn Féin candidate Seán Crowe >_<, a really terrible Valentines themed election pamphlet.

EDIT:

Further left than I thought I'd be, a lot of loaded questions.
    pcgraphpng.php?ec=-4.25&soc=-7.69

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

The Fine Gael Valentine's thing is just a joke, people really need to get over themselves..

MavisDavis wrote: »
    The Fine Gael Valentine's thing is just a joke, people really need to get over themselves..

Jokes have no place in politics etc.
    This is almost as bad as that time they went around lynching gay people or whatever.

>.>
    Further left than I thought I'd be, a lot of loaded questions.

Some of us are far more to the left than you tbh >.>

Also you can't have something like this without loaded questions tbh, the entire point is to see which incredibly loaded/biased statements you agree with.

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Some of us are far more to the left than you tbh >.>

Nah, my main surprise there was I'd done this test before, and thought my views had changed a bit in the last year :P. I expected to still be in the bottom left hand quarter - just a bit closer to the centre. When I've really stayed in the same place on the left-right spectrum and moved further down on the y axis.

Good point about the loaded q's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I dunno if you're joking or not, but can you explain to me what part of letting the bankers get away with it isn't a right-wing decision?

There was a disgraceful lack of regulation in that sector for far too long, and when **** goes down the blame is placed on everyone but those in charge and it's up to everyone else to take a hit.

What makes it right wing though? Left wing governments have done all that too.

There's this, the James Bond crap, the farcial posters. Whoever makes these decisions is just clueless.
    unknown13 wrote: »
    Learner drivers laws - people now have to pay more and more before they do the test. They have to pay for lessons.

And? The decision was made for road safety reasons etc. It doesn't really register on the political spectrum. If anything it could be seen as making the country more of a Nanny state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

There's this, the James Bond crap, the farcial posters. Whoever makes these decisions is just clueless.

Ah now! Whatever about the Valentines and James Bond crap, those psychedelic/paintball posters were freakin' awesome! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Or trying to get people talking about politics. You're talking about FG now, aren't you? Lighten up!

Ah now! Whatever about the Valentines and James Bond crap, those psychedelic/paintball posters were freakin' awesome! :D

As is the thread they inspired over in Cool Vids + Pics + Links :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Or trying to get people talking about politics. You're talking about FG now, aren't you? Lighten up!
    Getting people to talk about politics in the run up to a general election seems a bit redundant.

Left wing generally tends towards much more regulation on businesses (something violently opposed by most of the right) and much more punishment for a business' bad decisions.
    Neither of which were shown here.

I won't say left wing governments haven't done stuff like that, but IMO any government claiming to be left wing and then letting the banks get away with such unregulated and unsustainable practices is either left wing in name only, or incredibly incompetent (or both).

• Advertisement

Right wing parties are generally more favored to the middle and upper classes of society. Do you think the bankers would be living where they are today if Sinn Fein or Labour were in power in the last Dail term

Advertisement