Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&H General Election Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Namlub wrote: »
    Is he really in the IRA though?

Maybe we'll never know....if you're actually asking for real though, there are plenty of allegations that he was part of the Provisional IRA, but he denies it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Slow Show wrote: »
    Maybe we'll never know....if you're actually asking for real though, there are plenty of allegations that he was part of the Provisional IRA, but he denies it.

Yeah he's rumoured to have been the leader during the 70s etc and is supposed to still be proactive in it. Lots of authors and stuff have claimed it like but he always denies but, but sure he's hardly going to confirm it.

I know that down here one of the candidates running is supposed to be proactive in it, and that there was a fairly big following of it but thankfully it doesn't look like hes going to get in.

I've got pizza on waiting for Waterford to come on. this is so much better than going out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Is he really in the IRA though?

He's always denied it but almost certainly was once upon a time.

Can someone fill me in on what transfers are? :o

Noel2k9 wrote: »

When a candidate is elected with a surplus, the people who gave them a number 1 vote are assessed for their 2nd, 3rd preferences etc and these are given to the relevant politicians to help bring up their vote. That's how I understand it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Ah right, like I knew that he was supposed to have been a member before but I wasn't sure about now, they have to go through Garda checks and stuff before they can run don't they?

Someone from FF has come first in my constituency and second in the lastest Cork one to be counted, gah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

amacachi wrote: »
    :rolleyes: What would Labour do to promote "social progress" exactly?

Out of interest, have you actually read any of their policy documents?

For the record, I don't actually consider myself a major Labour supporter, they got a couple of my votes (including first preference), but because they're the least objectionable IMO.
    I'm not going to pretend that I agree with everything they say, or that they're a perfect example, but since you asked, and since they're likely to be in government...

The most obvious would be their commitment to a referendum on gay marriage (apparently they don't believe that gays are too evil to raise children :O).
    They also have some pretty "progressive" ideas w.r.t. healthcare, but I doubt you'd have any interest in those, it involves actually spending tax money on helping sick people.
    As well as that they're much more clear about issues of religious discrimination and equality, rather than just "Yeah we'll look into it, also buzzwords lol".

For the record, those apply to most non-FG parties tbf, as I said, there's nothing particularly special about Labour and there could be more done/promised by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Also the lowest scoring candidate in each round when the quota isn't reached is eliminated and their preferences are distributed. Often these transfers are greater than the surpluses. I'm hoping the 4 seats in Louth get filled before one of the FFers gets eliminated because once one is eliminated the other will get in. :(

Ah right, like I knew that he was supposed to have been a member before but I wasn't sure about now, they have to go through Garda checks and stuff before they can run don't they?

Someone from FF has come first in my constituency and second in the lastest Cork one to be counted, gah.

Yeah but the Garda wouldn't know about the IRA.. It's supposed to be secret. :P

Oh Michael Martin..

Well it's a pretty badly kept secret <_<

Nah he's Cork South Central and that first count isn't finished because the fire alarm went off or something...oh the drama
    edit: Oh, he's been elected now. He's ok I guess, dnw more fianna fail though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Yano for the surplus on votes that reach the quota? I cant write my question but Ill give an example..

Same some dude got 15'000 votes and the quota was 10'000. Its my understanding that the 5'000 extra votes will be used for the transfer, but how do they choose which 5'000 to use coz surely that would be a huge influence in who gets the next seat?

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Out of interest, have you actually read any of their policy documents?
    No, I prefer to listen to them when being asked about their policies to see if they know/understand/believe them themselves. The other day one of the fairly prominent members (can't remember which one alas) was claiming they would raise less taxes than FG while also sticking to their guns that the deficit should be closed with more taxes and less cuts than FG. Maybe a maths degree would've been a good idea for me to prevent confusion like that.
    The most obvious would be their commitment to a referendum on gay marriage (apparently they don't believe that gays are too evil to raise children :O).
    As I've said, I'm looking at results. FG said they support civil partnership as do Labour. A referendum on gay marriage wouldn't pass so the result is the same with either party.
    They also have some pretty "progressive" ideas w.r.t. healthcare, but I doubt you'd have any interest in those, it involves actually spending tax money on helping sick people.
    Oh you mean how they opposed FG's plan for universal insurance with private service providers and then decided that it was actually a good plan and incorporated it themselves?
    As well as that they're much more clear about issues of religious discrimination and equality, rather than just "Yeah we'll look into it, also buzzwords lol".
    Religion is something I'd like to see addressed but once again I doubt the result will be any different with either party, there'll just be natural decay. ~8 years ago when we had money was the time to get the schools under full state control.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Yano for the surplus on votes that reach the quota? I cant write my question but Ill give an example..

Same some dude got 15'000 votes and the quota was 10'000. Its my understanding that the 5'000 extra votes will be used for the transfer, but how do they choose which 5'000 to use coz surely that would be a huge influence in who gets the next seat?

They look, at all 15,000 votes he got and suppose 50% went to candidate B and 30% to candidate C while 20% had no 2nd preference then then 5,000 surplus will be divided the same way, i.e., 2,500 to candidate B and 1,500 to candidate C.

And the fact that 523 people voted for this guy depresses me...

As I've said, I'm looking at results. FG said they support civil partnership as do Labour. A referendum on gay marriage wouldn't pass so the result is the same with either party.

Maybe not, but even if you're right I don't believe that "Sure it probably won't pass so it's grand that we don't support equal rights" is a valid excuse.
    Oh you mean how they opposed FG's plan for universal insurance with private service providers and then decided that it was actually a good plan and incorporated it themselves?

There's some pretty major implementation details that differ, it's not fair to say that they're the same plans.
    Religion is something I'd like to see addressed but once again I doubt the result will be any different with either party, there'll just be natural decay. ~8 years ago when we had money was the time to get the schools under full state control.

Natural decay will happen, but it can't be nearly as effective without support from the Dáil.

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Maybe not, but even if you're right I don't believe that "Sure it probably won't pass so it's grand that we don't support equal rights" is a valid excuse.
    It's not an excuse, it's realism. I hope there is a vote now though, just so I know I'm right. :pac:
    There's some pretty major implementation details that differ, it's not fair to say that they're the same plans.
    Mainly Labour wanting to prevent as many redundencies as FG want. That's what we need, another reshuffle with no job losses.
    Natural decay will happen, but it can't be nearly as effective without support from the Dáil.
    They can support it all they want but money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

http://m.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0226/breaking53.htm?via=latest

Nice to see the locals getting passionate about politics...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Here, sit the f*ck down, you didnt know enda was from mayo or micheal martin was from cork :pac:

It's priceless how quickly things become awkward when people are being bounced on someone's shoulders...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I wish Gerry would just say 'Yeah I used to shoot people.' Martin McGuinness does.

• Advertisement

Peter Fitzpatrick looking good here. He's the Louth football manager and that is surely the reason he's so popular (along with being with FG which doesn't hurt at present).

Let's just say he's not the most articulate of blokes.

"I've never whittled or suggested otherwise" - Brian Cowen

Y-U-LIE.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Y-U-NO

It's not an excuse, it's realism. I hope there is a vote now though, just so I know I'm right. :pac:

If the vote is defeated (which it could be, the crazies come out of the woodwork for referenda, just look at those opposed to Lisbon >.>) at least it means the choice was given to the people rather than being vetoed at the Dáil.
    Not sure if I expect a referendum, FG obviously won't want one (unless they're fairly confident it'll be defeated) but the other parties, including Labour, tend to be strongly in favour of it.
    Mainly Labour wanting to prevent as many redundencies as FG want. That's what we need, another reshuffle with no job losses.
    What we need now is not to just fire a ****load of people, it's to actually look at the system we have, identify inefficiencies, and eliminate them.
    That does require job losses admittedly, but they aren't the magical answer to our problems, that will save some money in the short term, but in the long term just create an equally inefficient system, but with the added problem of under-staffing.

Not to say I think Labour have a magic solution either, realistically a compromise is needed, but the hatred of the public sector that's trendy at the moment is not going to lead to any useful change, and will unfortunately lead to populist measures that hurt in the long term.
    They can support it all they want but money talks.
    Yes, and they'll continue to get a lot of money as long as they're allowed to be involved in the educational system, only the Dáil can change that, most of the public don't have a choice in the matter, most areas do not have decent alternatives and won't for quite some time.

Serious tension in Dun Laoghaire lads, I hope Mary Hanafin doesn't get in...

flyswatter wrote: »
    Peter Fitzpatrick looking good here. He's the Louth football manager and that is surely the reason he's so popular (along with being with FG which doesn't hurt at present).

Let's just say he's not the most articulate of blokes.
    I think FF are going to get a seat. :( Fitz ain't gonna make the quota so once one of the FFers is eliminated the other will likely get most of his transfers.
    What we need now is not to just fire a ****load of people, it's to actually look at the system we have, identify inefficiencies, and eliminate them.
    That does require job losses admittedly, but they aren't the magical answer to our problems, that will save some money in the short term, but in the long term just create an equally inefficient system, but with the added problem of under-staffing.
    Ah like how the unions wanted to get savings with "efficiencies" that didn't involve any job losses or paycuts? :pac: I just don't believe that Labour would cut anywhere near as much as could be done. I also don't believe there's anywhere near a short-staffing problem as is sometimes claimed, there are far more employed in areas now than 10 years ago yet the services received have diminished. The unions and/or pisstaking bosses also seem to enjoy having a laugh now and then. About 40% of the times I had to sign on they would have someone new on the desk, someone who typed with one finger and went through the cards one-by-one. Huge overhauls are needed and I don't believe Labour will go for it.
    As I also said, their maths seems off in general saying they'll cut less than FG yet also saying they'll raise less tax than FG. *shrug*
    Yes, and they'll continue to get a lot of money as long as they're allowed to be involved in the educational system, only the Dáil can change that, most of the public don't have a choice in the matter, most areas do not have decent alternatives and won't for quite some time.
    I still think it's a question of money though. It's nothing short of ridiculous that so much funding goes to religious organisations in this country for "education" but the amount it will take to buy school premises etc. isn't going to be available for a while.

Serious tension in Dun Laoghaire lads, I hope Mary Hanafin doesn't get in...

She won't, double-barrelled surname lad will.

So, apparently the people counting them in Waterford lost 2000 votes.. LOST. THEM.

lol democracy ftw
    This Laois Offaly one is being all fancy and reading out the number of votes in Irish, pff

lol democracy ftw
    This Laois Offaly one is being all fancy and reading out the number of votes in Irish, pff

I don't think she can count past 10 though..

She just kept going

Ceathar Seacht Se Ocht = 4768

GG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Really hope Mark Dearey (Greens) gets through in Louth!

Advertisement