Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog biscuits :)

• 24-01-2011 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I found a new use for my breadmaker - making dog biscuits! I sort of followed (vaguely) an online recipe I found - mostly wholemeal flour, garlic, parsley, some cheese, chicken stock and some yeast, plus ground up bits (used the food processor) of chicken skin and 'gloopy' bits from the Sunday roast chicken leftovers. Bunged it all in the bread machine, put on the dough cycle, and waited until it had done the first knead, took it out and cut into little bits, then baked for 15 mins, turned over, and baked for another 10-15 mins. The dogs are going mad for these biscuits - so was wondering if anyone else cooks for their dogs, and if so - any recipes? I have some elderly roast beef (it's been in the fridge for a few days) that I'm planning to grind up and make more biscuits with tomorrow.

A box of commercial dog biscuits are costing us around €2.65 here - so this is definitely a cheap option. I'm not entirely sure how long these are safe to keep, given that they include some meat - any thoughts? The resulting biscuits are crispy and dry, it's not like the meat content is sitting there getting slimy or anything - but I'd rather not poison the dogs if possible :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Cooking & Recipes.

HB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Great idea OP, I make treats for mine when time allows and she goes mad for them. As long as the biscuit is dry and stored in a sealable container they will keep for a week or so(mine rarely last that long. I did notice in your post that you added garlic to the first batch you tried, next time don't use it, it is potentially poisonous, as are onions. Yeast is also to be avoided as it can react in the stomach, even after cooking, and cause severe problems. Google foods harmful to animals and you will find a list of about 30 foodstuffs to avoid.

I've made some of the treats on this site, very easy to make and don't last too long lol

Advertisement