Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone help me get faster burn speed's please?

• 24-01-2011 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I'm using an Acer Aspire 5920G, it's currently taking me about 5 or 6 minute's to burn a full 700MB audio CD, it was taking nearly 15 until I shut down task's, but I don't think I can go any further with that.
    On my old desktop computer it only took about 1 minute or less, and that was while it wasn't even in perfect shape, my laptop on the other hand has just got the OS re-installed and I do believe it is perfect right now.
    I understand that laptops are smaller and probably have a less burning power, but I have heard of people getting result's like 3 minute's.
    It is really time consuming when burning a whole lot of CD's.
    I don't even know how to view what speed the burner is set too:confused:

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Lot of factors to consider when burning CD's.

Media. (max burning speed\brand)
    Drive.
    Memory of machine.
    Burning software.

To name but a few.

I'd recommend doing a quick cleanup of your pc (download ccleaner\defraggler and run them). And using ImgBurn for burning to cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tranceboy 2k

chin_grin wrote: »
    Lot of factors to consider when burning CD's.

Media. (max burning speed\brand)
    Drive.
    Memory of machine.
    Burning software.

To name but a few.

I'd recommend doing a quick cleanup of your pc (download ccleaner\defraggler and run them). And using ImgBurn for burning to cd.

OK, well here's what I found by typing dxdiag next to start
    Memory: 3070MB RAM
    Page File: 1740MB used, 4608MB available

can You tell me if this is good or bad.

I'm using Verbatim CD's 52x so I doupt that's the prob.
    the drive: HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GSA-T11N ATA Device.
    My PC has 4 Gig's of Ram, I've used Ccleaner yesterday, I'll download Defraggler and try that too, cheers.

I'm using Nero to burn, would that be just as good?

Could it be that 5 minute's is the max speed on this computer? I hope not:(

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,305 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

greatly depends on burn speed of the drive. your desktop is more likely to have a much faster burn speed like 48x, where a laptop might only have an 8x or 16x drive. also if you use a cd which is too slow (like a 32x in a 38x drive) it will burn at most at 32x. a 52x cd will still only burn at 8x in an 8x drive.

Depending on what youre burning it can even be a good idea to burn at a slower speed. your burning software should tell you what the max burning speed is for your drive if its not already printed on the front of the cd tray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

The software you use to burn the CD should allow you to set the speed at which you burn.
    Don't forget the faster the speed the more chance of errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

use cdburner xp here,http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home
    nero is a big program, takes up alot of memory ,not ideal just to burn a cdr disk.YOU CAN use start,run msconfig,click tab services, to shut down programs like itunes that load at startup ,taking up memory space.I,D use nero to burn dvds maybe ,create dvd menus, ie for most people its just unnecessary ,unless you are a professional video editor, designer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tranceboy 2k

OK, thanks for the info, yeah I guess 5 mins is the best I'll get, that's not bad though, and defo not too fast, so it solve's everything, it should have been obvious to me that laptops burn slower than a massive desktop lol, I had a feeling though.

And yeah I pretty much wasted some money on Nero, but I'm bound to get some extra use out oh it, it's a pretty big program.

thanks.

Advertisement