Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climate Change, do you believe humans cause it?

• 24-01-2011 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

I believe it's all bull****, and a lot of people make a lot of money out of trying to prove the myth... so my question is do you believe in this myth?

Do you believe humans are to blame? 157 votes

No I don't
    0% 0 votes
    Yes I do
    100% 157 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'm causing it right now.

<leans in chair>

Ugh, Guinness farts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

WITHDRAW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 antidark777

I do believe it is real but i dont believe we can stop whatever consequences there are in store.
    We are doing not nearly enough to halt or postpone said consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Climate change is natural and not man made - This global warming shananigans is just a way to tax carbon!

However I do believe that we should invest in sustainable energy sources, stop deforestation and cut down on polution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

I do believe it is real but i dont believe we can stop whatever consequences there are in store.
    We are doing not nearly enough to halt or postpone said consequences.

You base that opinion on something that is not scientifically proven, why? Have you been reading to much or whats the story?

• Advertisement

Yes and no. Yes in that I believe we're doing damage, but no in that I think it's exaggerated. I don't think that every single strange weather event requires throwing the global warming/climate change card. Climate is a long term analysis of weather patterns, not just a couple of cold winters in a row.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Climate change is natural and not man made - This global warming shananigans is just a way to tax carbon!

However I do believe that we should invest in sustainable energy sources, stop deforestation and cut down on polution!

Although something is natural, that does not mean that it can not be expedited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

It's naturally occuring, however we aren't exactly helping with the whole pollution thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

*big eyes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I believe it's all bull****, and a lot of people make a lot of money out of trying to prove the myth... so my question is do you believe in this myth?

I blame you.

I think you caused global warming and that you melted all the ice caps.

I don't know how you did it, but I will find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I believe we are contributing to climate change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Atari jaguar is to blame to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Al Gore's movie is quite good, very informative and explains everything. But we must remember that >50% of the population morons so just show them the day after tomorrow

What does annoy me is people citing cold weather as proof it isn't happening, thereby showing a complete ignorance of the theory.

smk89 wrote: »
    Al Gore's movie is quite good, very informative and explains everything. But we must remember that >50% of the population morons so just show them the day after tomorrow

Al Gores movie is not based on scientific fact, how could it be?? He's made a lot of cash with his crap

m@cc@ wrote: »
    What does annoy me is people citing cold weather as proof it isn't happening, thereby showing a complete ignorance of the theory.

It hasn't been proven...

It hasn't been proven...

Read my post again. Similarly, unusually cold weather doesn't disprove it, quite the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

WITHDRAW!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I believe it's all bull****

Hmm... Do u think cows are really to blame though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Read my post again. Similarly, unusually cold weather doesn't disprove it, quite the opposite.

you do know its called global warming , not global colding , yeah ?

at this stage we should be knee deep in water , and toasty as fook.

yet its been ice cold and snowing ???
    global warming me hole .

and 'climate change ' is not human caused
    its arrogant to even think its a human caused problem.

• Advertisement

Al Gores movie is not based on scientific fact, how could it be?? He's made a lot of cash with his crap

Statement 1: How many peer reviewed scientific papers have ever been written stating global warming is false?
    None, ever!
    Statement 2: Red herring fallacy, how is that related to the argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i believe i can fly...i believe i can touch the sky

The general THEORY has not been proved... it's bad science, the IPCC are not the best scientists, the ones who left it are.. citing their disapproval as to what the **** is going on there

DaDumTish wrote: »

global warming me hole.

Yeah, this is pretty much the ignorance I was referring to.

You base that opinion on something that is not scientifically proven, why? Have you been reading to much or whats the story?

Its naive to think that our activity on the earth hasn't been catastrophic enough as it is already. Think about the destruction of forests, rising pollution levels from motor vehicles and industrial activity, the polluting the rivers and seas from hazardous waste, the burning of fossil fuels which has only increased despite the availablity of clean alternative energy.

While i dont buy into the fear-mongering that fuels the business of climate change, i do believe that our effect cannot be ignored

Its naive to think that our activity on the earth hasn't been catastrophic enough as it is already. Think about the destruction of forests, rising pollution levels from motor vehicles and industrial activity, the polluting the rivers and seas from hazardous waste, the burning of fossil fuels which has only increased despite the availablity of clean alternative energy.

While i dont buy into the fear-mongering that fuels the business of climate change, i do believe that our effect cannot be ignored

With all due respect, what has that got to do with climate change??

Yeah, this is pretty much the ignorance I was referring to.

lmfao

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

DaDumTish wrote: »

global warming me hole .

and 'climate change ' is not human caused
    its arrogant to even think its a human caused problem.

I feel lesser for having endured this.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

In relation to global warming, Earth has always heated up and cooled down in cycles over thousands of years, due to the nature of the earths' orbit and tilt.

Pollution is not responsible for these cycles

Pollution is not global warming

Climate change, as the name implies, means it is constantly changing.

250 years ago over a million irish people died in a big freeze lasting months!

A lot of money to be made on apocolytic views, fact.

edit: send money now for the real truth about climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

While I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of "Oh noez, climate change!" whenever there are unusual weather patterns, I find it hard to believe that atmospheric conditions would be exactly the same as they are now without all of the emissions caused by humans burning various fuels, deforestation etc.

There are documented cases of a marked change in atmospheric conditions following a marked change in human activity - e.g. the United States after the influx of European settlers.

The defensiveness and anger of those who are so vehement climate change is bullsh1t though always makes me think there's a level of denial at play...

Clap clap macca

Dudess wrote: »
    While I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of "Oh noez, climate change!" whenever there are unusual weather patterns, I find it heard to believe that atmospheric conditions would be exactly the same as they are now without all of the emissions caused by humans burning various fuels, deforestation etc.

There are documented cases of a marked change in atmospheric conditions following a marked change in human activity - e.g. the United States after the influx of European settlers.

Apologies, but that is bull**** right there... the climate has been up or down over serveral millenia, and the past few decades have been no exception... have you seen the data?

lmfao
    Clap clap macca

What age are you?

Is this what qualifies a retort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's a theory though, I'm not claiming it's fact - unlike yourself and others who don't believe in it.

What age are you?

Is this what qualifies a retort?

Well before you deleted your post, the second one was very valid...

• Advertisement

Mr Cawley wrote: »
    In relation to global warming, Earth has always heated up and cooled down in cycles over thousands of years, due to the nature of the earths' orbit and tilt.

Pollution is not responsible for these cycles

Pollution is not global warming

Climate change, as the name implies, means it is constantly changing.

250 years ago over a million irish people died in a big freeze lasting months!

A lot of money to be made on apocolytic views, fact.

edit: send money now for the real truth about climate change.

Yeah it has always changed, but never this fast or this much in such a short period. In 2050 it will be 3x the levels ever seen in 400k years. Here
    The thing I always find annoying is people who don't believe were the cause always point out the flaws in global warming studies. On its own thats fine, its part of science to acknowledge the flaws but they bring nothing new to the table, no evidence or studies.

smk89 wrote: »
    Yeah it has always changed, but never this fast or this much in such a short period. In 2050 it will be 3x the levels ever seen in 400k years. Here
    The thing I always find annoying is people who don't believe were the cause always point out the flaws in global warming studies. On its own thats fine, its part of science to acknowledge the flaws but they bring nothing new to the table, no evidence or studies.

The evidence points to a natural cycle...

With all due respect, what has that got to do with climate change??

Read what i said again, im just saying that while i acknowledge the profiteering going on because of the fear mongering the climate-change business has started, i dont think some of their points should be ignored.

Just to expand on that. Our impact on the earth, while it may be small in the grand scheme of things, should not be ignored. While we may try to undo the harmful effects generated from decades, if not centuries, of polluting the atmosphere, you have to note that out current generation will not see the effects of such change.

Implying that its out of our hands and that we have no effect on the earth at this present time is just passing the buck as it were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Ohhh, by the looks of the poll this could be quite a contentious thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Can those who think it is a myth explain what happens to the 30 odd million tonnes of CO2 that are pumped into the atmosphere every year by human activity?

• Advertisement

The evidence points to a natural cycle...

The line is practically vertical upwards. How is that natural? The only time that can happen is if an asteroid hit the planet. And thats only co2, methane has increased 150% in 200 years

Can those who think it is a myth explain what happens to the 30 odd million tonnes of CO2 that are pumped into the atmosphere every year by human activity?

Well CO2 increases the growth rate of plants and trees so if anything it has helped the enviorment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

It falls as snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

The scientific consensus is 100% in agreement that global warming is accelerated by human activity. That's not to say that there are other factors also involved. Any "debate" about the scientific consensus is either generated by the media, putting across the notion that there are two sides to every argument even though, among the people who make the study of this sort of stuff their careers, there is not - or well funded groups with an interest in spreading disinformation about global warming (US Republicans for example).

New Scientist have a good section on their website summing up the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Questions like this bring out the language pedant in me, because "believe" is a loaded word. I think, based on available evidence, that it's probable that mankind is affecting the climate. i.e. the odds are greater than 50%. Why? Because global climate is a non-linear system: we don't put out all the energy that would be required to change the climate - that would be impossible - but the Earth has an external energy source that provides the heat: the Sun. Just as you can steer an oil tanker with your little finger, a little atmospheric tweak by mankind can make a real difference. The average changes in temperature we've seen in the Polar regions are not subjective.

But I don't believe that. It's not an ideological position. I could be wrong, and it wouldn't bother me: it's more important to know than to be right. I've learned to associate the word "believe" with religion - since it implies that you don't need evidence to back your position, as is the case with religion - and to me it's all about the evidence. I'm not going to argue with anyone about this, I'm just going to sit back and watch as it all falls apart - if I live to see it. The Earth will be fine - it's survived worse than anything mankind could throw at it - but it's mankind that's screwed in the long term, and that won't even need climate change to happen. :rolleyes:

Aviation pioneer Burt Rutan thinks anthropogenic climate change is a fraud - but even so, I agree with him that dealing with climate change, regardless of the cause, is an Engineering problem. It doesn't have to be a disaster, but people need to wise up e.g. stop building houses on flood plains or unstable slopes, and people won't be killed by floods. If your town / region / country can't safely handle the number of people in it: stop breeding!

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

eightyfish wrote: »
    The scientific consensus is 100% in agreement that global warming is accelerated by human activity. That's not to say that there are other factors also involved. Any "debate" about the scientific consensus is either generated by the media, putting across the notion that there are two sides to every argument even though, among the people who make the study of this sort of stuff their careers, there is not - or well funded groups with an interest in spreading disinformation about global warming (US Republicans for example).

New Scientist have a good section on their website summing up the topic.

The Republicans get blamed for everything on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Human involvement is a myth to sell Al Gore DVDs and speaking tours.

Everything we emit soaks into the Universe

Supposing if over the last 2 million years 50 Trillion 'people' have lived. Each one farting 10,000 times. Thats.. thats.. thats a pile of farty smells. Not to count asll the baser beatsies

Yet O'er olde Finglas tis as fresh and as crisp as ever

QED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I think the sun is going further away, like the way you pull yourself away from a fire to keep cool, except the heat source is the one doing the pulling, so we have to follow it.

We, as a people, must push our precious earth closer to the aforementioned sun, and keep warm through natural means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

The Republicans get blamed for everything on boards.

Rightly so :)

People are idiots and will believe anything and everything we're told with out any real evidence!

Firstly people believed the world was flat!
    People believed in religion
    People voted for the Nazis
    Now people believe in man made global warming!

In the future we'll believe the wind and sun 'reserves' are scarce
    We'll believe that GM foods are the only food we should eat
    we'll believe etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement