Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terryland Castle

Options
  • 24-01-2011 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the history or any stories about this castle? Lived near it for years but never known anything about it. Anyone know why half of it is gone! :P

For anyone who doesn't know what i'm on about, it's the castle/large old house by the quincentenial bridge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

PomBear wrote: »
    Anyone know why half of it is gone! :P

It was the launch site for the Galway Space Program but was badly damaged during takeoff on their mission to the Sun in 1989.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

it blew down in hurricane Debbie. the city library has a wealth of info on it or contact Galway archaeological society.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Its actually JohnCleary's doomsday machine, cunningly disguised as a castle. (I know, JC doesn't strike one as the cunning type, but hey...)

Actually, Corribcharts is just a front too, its just an excuse for him to drive a boat up and down past the castle doomsday machine on patrol for underwater infiltrators...

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Zzippy wrote: »
    Its actually JohnCleary's doomsday machine, cunningly disguised as a castle. (I know, JC doesn't strike one as the cunning type, but hey...)

Actually, Corribcharts is just a front too, its just an excuse for him to drive a boat up and down past the castle doomsday machine on patrol for underwater infiltrators...

Isn't terryland castle further up the river?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Isn't terryland castle further up the river?

no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

It used be, but JC found that the land was cheaper downstream, so he moved it. It's all marshy further upstream anyway.

Also, too close to Menlo castle, and people'd start mixing them up. He needs noteriety for thsi thing to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I heard JohnCleary killed Bambi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

It's the home of a man who spanks his monkey looking at the girls walking on the bridge above.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I heard JohnCleary is a she

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Theres a story about the Castle in a History of Galway book.Basically the story goes that the tiny ruins(half buried now) on one side of the bridge was the original castle.The English Lord who owned it burned it down himself after being mistakenly informed that the English had lost the Battle Of Aughrim(sp) and not wanting it to fall into Irish hands he set fire to it.That castle was damaged beyond repair and so he built another one which is the big ruins on the other side of the river.Theres a bit of debate about why the other one is in such ruin.One story is that he built it so quickly that poor workmanship meant it quickly started falling apart after it was left empty.Another story could be nearer the truth though that there was fierce local rivalry along the banks of the Corrib for its land and thus it was attacked numerous times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I heard JohnCleary is a she

I heard JohnCleary's name isn't John Cleary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I heard JohnCleary's name isn't John Cleary.

I heard TheCosmicFrog is, indeed, a Cosmic Frog

BTW, screw you! It is I! Proof: http://www.johncleary.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I heard TheCosmicFrog is, indeed, a Cosmic Frog

BTW, screw you! It is I! Proof: http://www.johncleary.ie/

I feel horrible for laughing...

I heard rumors that JohnCleary is closing down. Supposed to be replaced with another Charcoal Grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

I feel horrible for laughing...

I heard rumors that JohnCleary is closing down. Supposed to be replaced with another Charcoal Grill.

Good!

Can never have enough Charcoal Grills around! :D

Advertisement