Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menstrual Cycle Question

Options
  • 24-01-2011 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I am not trying to conceive at the moment but I am unable to use any safer contraceptives other than condoms at the moment so I like to work out my fertile days so I can be extra careful or avoid sex altogether on the big days.

Normally my cycle is 28 days but this month it was two days later so when I check for my dates do I put in the normal 28 days or 30 days as it was this time round? I can't work it out myself from the sites I have been using.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If I were you I'd consider getting a persona kit. It helps you track your ovulation that way you will know where you stand and can aviod having sex when you are most likely to conceive.

http://www.inhealth.ie/Products/Persona-Monitor__4431.aspx
    http://www.multipharmacy.com/shop/customer/Persona-Monitor-pid-10071.html

Have you asked your dr if a diaphragm is an option for you, if you can only use barrier methods?
    http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/diaphragm-4244.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I really don't have the money right now. I may just have to give up sex! Does that mean there is no way of telling what my days are this month then?

I use a condom and a cup, just of a nervy disposition regarding these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well another suggestion is to do Tempature charting.
    http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/bbt-chart.html

Thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You can also monitor your cervical mucus, it becomes thick like egg white just prior to ovulating.

• Advertisement

Oh I couldn't do that!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Lux23 wrote: »
    Oh I couldn't do that!!

Why? Do you consider it gross? Its one of the major indications of your fertile time. In the absence of a Persona kit or Ovulation Predictor tests, you only have charting really.

I personally found charting a pain. You have to take your temp every day at the same time before you get out of bed.

You can buy Ovulation tests on the internet, which are much cheaper than the chemist ones, but the hormone (LH surge) they test for is only in your system for a few hours, so for instance, if that surged during your sleep, then it could backfire with you thinking you are grand because your tests are not showing ovulation but you actually are.

In a textbook 28 day cycle, its common to ovulate 14 days before your period. However, but a lot of women ovulate earlier or later than this and still have a 28 day cycle. So unless you test/chart, there is no way of knowing the days you Ovulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Lux23 wrote: »
    Oh I couldn't do that!!

Why not? You came on here and asked for advice. Then when you get the best advice for someone who, as you have said, doesn't have the money to spend on ovulation tests, you refuse to do it.
    Your cervical mucus is probably the single and best indicator of your fertile period and all it takes is a simple look and finger test of your mucus after going to the loo - you take the mucus from the toilet paper (sorry if this is tmi). You'd be surprised how quickly you'd get used to it.
    Once it stops being clear or stretchy, and you become dry again that would normally indicate you have ovulated and the following 3 days would be your most fertile time.
    Whether you do this, or whether you "give up sex" - best of luck to you.!

Yes and I said thanks for the advice. I just don't fancy monitoring my vaginal mucus or whatever. The sooner the better I can get my tubes tied.

Thanks for the advice but Im not fingering my fanny mucus!!

The sooner the better I can get my tubes tied so I don't have to worry about this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jez838

Hi Lux

You can monitor Cervical Mucus using tissue. Or you can just check your panty liner. The mucus comes out so theres no interfering.

The best way of monitoring is by temperature and you will have to monitor for a few months before you can predict your cycle.

Advertisement