Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants for Female Engineers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.witsireland.com/cms/

I'm not sure, but WITS may have taken over from Women in Engineering. There are contact details at the end of this page http://www.dit.ie/news/archive2007/women-engineering/ - you might make enquiries - there used to be a Women in Engineering office in DIT.

Also talk to Engineers Ireland www.engineersireland.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

Don't waste your time with engineering.It is a crap career and at the end of your 4 years in trinity you will be held in the same regard as a person that fixes washing machines or installs satellite dishes except you will probably earn less that is of course you can get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

No offense, but I actually thought this thread was a wind-up when I saw the title. Women are definitely under-represented in engineering (only about 10% of my college year were female), but I don't think they're a marginalised group at 3rd level that should be grant-aided just to study it. I would agree with a grant that included some amount of 2nd-level outreach (e.g., visiting girls' schools to talk about engineering, raise awareness etc.).

OP, ask TCD about available grants but I don't think there are any available. Best of luck in your studies.
    123easy wrote: »
    Don't waste your time with engineering.It is a crap career and at the end of your 4 years in trinity you will be held in the same regard as a person that fixes washing machines or installs satellite dishes except you will probably earn less that is of course you can get a job.

Complete rubbish; you make your own career. Times are tough at the moment but engineering will always stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 charlie1234

There's the Anita-Newell Scholarship awarded to best placed girls in the end of year exams in Trinity - something like 3000 for 1st and 2000 for 2nd in 1st year and 6000 for 1st and 4000 for 2nd in 2nd year.

More scholarships here -http://www.tcd.ie/Engineering/undergraduate/pdf/JFHandbook.pdf

hope this helps, not too sure about grants though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any more off topic crap like this and it wont be a warning next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

When I started engineering in UL, one of the girls in my class was given a cheque for £500 becasue she was in engineering and had the highest leaving cert of all the girls in the class ( of which there were two!). The other engineering classes were the same. the girl with the top leaving cert in each class got the same cheque. It happened around 7-8 weeks into first year. It was meant as an incentive or so we were told at the shin dig that night. the funny thing was none of the girls knew anything about it until the day before so it wasn't really an incentive was it. Don't recall the name or organisation that set up the £500 give away. I was delighted for her as she was a great person but I did think it was BS at the time and I have to admit my attitude hasn't changed.

Anyway, if someone is going into a career because of a few quid starting out, they are in for some kick in the fffffing A.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

To be honest I think that gender-specific awards are a bad idea. No doubt there'd be howls of "discrimination" if a male nursing student was to receive a hand-out. Women are not in a significant minority in engineering as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Here's one:

http://www.intel.com/corporate/europe/emea/irl/intel/Scholarship/index.htm

You can still get it if you've already started.

I also remember that Intel Leixlip were giving grants when I went to college. A classmate of mine who applied for it was adamant that the only reason he didn't get it was because the other applicant was a girl. I highly doubt it, though this engineer (the fella) is now a highly successful engineer with DCC, he was an alcoholic for his first two years in college. I could be wrong though, maybe they did favour her because of her sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Theres plenty of work in the Netherlands, a mechanical Engineer is a respected career and Im pretty sure I get paid well.
    Thats a troll of a comment if I ever heard one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

DCU are giving a €1000 grant to any student entering into Engineering who gets over 500 points in the Leaving Cert. This is the first year it is happening unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Wise career advise from probobly a goverment sponsored couch superviser. Im sure my wage and job is bigger and more respected than your dole check

Take a time out because you over excreted yourself writing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Originally Posted by badgerbaiter:
    Wise career advise from probobly a goverment sponsored couch superviser. Im sure my wage and job is bigger and more respected than your dole check
    godtabh wrote: »
    Take a time out because you over excreted yourself writing that.

On the grounds of bad spelling / poor grammar alone, I have to agree with that decision. Talk about keeping the negative engineering stereotypes alive...

keanooo wrote: »
    On the grounds of bad spelling / poor grammar alone, I have to agree with that decision. Talk about keeping the negative engineering stereotypes alive...

Keep the thread on topic. There is no need to comment on other things

Advertisement