Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cavan bypass Accident waiting

• 24-01-2011 3:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭

Hey...Basically on here to vent some anger but its happend so many times and i got some footage aswel....basically i was going towards cavan town on the bypass and passing the butlerbridge junction,Cars just seem to come out onto the road and not even looking to see if theres traffic coming...Anyone notice this!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Good driving, if that's you.

The van driver is an idiot.

Been on that road a few times but not regularly enough for it to have happened to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

have to agree, the van driver is a feckin idiot. But that's just a symptom of extremely poor road design, something that's endemic across the whole county unfortunately. Whichever idiot they keep hiring to plan out the roads in cavan, they have a fondness for absolutely no hard shoulders, additional lanes for turning off, coming in, central lanes, etc. Those bridges ffs on the bypass are barely wide enough for two-way traffic.

[edit] i noticed you didn't beep the fncker off the road. also, your car sounds like a choo-choo train :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

[edit] i noticed you didn't beep the fncker off the road. also, your car sounds like a choo-choo train :pac:
    Didn't sound the horn but flashed the lights if you see the signs lighting up :)....Also the cars sound....Could hav been the radio :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

Yeah the counsel have put in a Kerb there for some reason, the traffic used to pull out straight onto the hard shoulder, but now they have to pull out onto the main road to get back into the hard shoulder. Crazy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What camera are you using there just out of interest OP?

I'm sick of the daily muppetry on the M/N3 so have been thinking of recording my daily commute - just in case - for a while now

Anyone else noticed that the behaviour and lane discipline gets significantly worse after you pass the first Navan exit when heading for Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    What camera are you using there just out of interest OP?

I'm sick of the daily muppetry on the M/N3 so have been thinking of recording my daily commute - just in case - for a while now

Anyone else noticed that the behaviour and lane discipline gets significantly worse after you pass the first Navan exit when heading for Dublin?

I just used A Nokia 5800 xpressmusic phone which was held up by a phone holder

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Panda General

That has happened to me there a couple of times too, i tell ya some people can't bloody drive or are just plain stupid.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Just happened to me today. Silver people carrier, female driver with tons of kids standing up with no seat belts. Pulled straight out and then dived into the hard shoulder after I nearly hit the back of them.

Op you are right in what you state.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Muppet of a van driver. It looks like he just went through a Stop sign (unbroken line at the junction) without stopping at all. If it was a Yield (broken line at the junction) sign it would be very different. Poor road design, but still he should have been driving to the conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭celt262

cournioni wrote: »
    Muppet of a van driver. It looks like he just went through a Stop sign (unbroken line at the junction) without stopping at all. If it was a Yield (broken line at the junction) sign it would be very different. Poor road design, but still he should have been driving to the conditions.

How would it be different?

The van driver should have waited until it was safe to turn left and i cant see how a Yield would make a difference.

Posters saying it is bad road design, i would like to know why people think it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Slip road in to main road would be better.

End of day some idiot is going to kill someone. Hundreds of roads like this, can't change them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭celt262

Slip road in to main road would be better.
    End of day some idiot is going to kill someone. Hundreds of roads like this, can't change them all.

Yeah i agree with that but that isn't possible at every junction onto a National Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Hey...Basically on here to vent some anger but its happend so many times and i got some footage aswel....basically i was going towards cavan town on the bypass and passing the butlerbridge junction,Cars just seem to come out onto the road and not even looking to see if theres traffic coming...Anyone notice this!!!
    ok.
    The solution to this is already in place.
    See here: http://maps.google.de/maps?q=cavan&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cavan,+County+Cavan,+Ireland&gl=de&ll=54.012308,-7.341099&spn=0.075451,0.212688&z=13&layer=c&cbll=54.012251,-7.341243&panoid=jkdxOOuOsrA-DikPYMMg5w&cbp=12,215.4,,1,10.44

Thats a STOP sign.
    Which, to those of us who took lessons, and had it beat into us by a qualified instructor, means you STOP.
    (being taught by your aul fella like 90% of motorists were, might mean that this sign is misinterpreted)
    A yield sign is different than a STOP sign, but some people dont cop on to the difference between them.
    Both the Yield and the stop sign are even a different shape so that even the illiterate know that theres a difference between the 2 !!!!
    From your video you can see the consequences of when people plainly ignore the stop sign and just roll onto the main road without stopping.

A solution could be to have a slip lane to deal with idiots who dont STOP to let the traffic on the main road pass before coming on.

Another solution would be to simply get the guards to ticket everyone who dangerously pulls out onto the main road without obeying the rules of the road and stopping at the stop sign.
    Eventually the message would get through as to what a stop sign means!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

celt262 wrote: »
    How would it be different?

The van driver should have waited until it was safe to turn left and i cant see how a Yield would make a difference.

Posters saying it is bad road design, i would like to know why people think it is?
    Sorry I should have made it clearer. Regardless of whether it is a Stop or a Yield sign, the van driver was wrong to pull out in front of the car, that goes without saying.

What I meant was signage wise, it would be very different in terms of road design. Merge is merge onto the road, Yield is Yield to on coming traffic, Stop is Stop and then move onto the road. At this junction, the van driver should have stopped, no question.

The road design isn't great, but this has nothing to do with the road design. There is a Stop sign there, the van should have stopped, again without question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

i seen that myself could not believe the finished product took them two weeks to do that
    and like the rest of the roads up there they will wait till somebody is killed before they fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

bicardi19 wrote: »
    Yeah the counsel have put in a Kerb there for some reason, the traffic used to pull out straight onto the hard shoulder, but now they have to pull out onto the main road to get back into the hard shoulder. Crazy!!

Yeah right, does stopping at the line and giving way to traffic on the main road not feature in traffic legislation Cavan style anymore ? Ever think about the reason why the bit kerb was put in ? Quite likely to prevent muppets like the van driver in the video from failing to stop or give way by going straight for the hard shoulder.

Advertisement