Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could I pass Maths if I start study now despite doing NOTHING on LC Maths?

• 24-01-2011 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Ok story goes I need an OD3 in LC Maths, have done nil zero NOTHING. I don't know what I am at to be frankly honest. I am 21 and am repeating through a VEC, I have a B1 at foundation level but it's not worth much to me bar anyone knows what college in Dublin will accept that? I was never good at maths in school and the whole LC course is alien to me and I need to start somewhere, surely I can pass it if I do something or get grinds between now and June? Help!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Easily. Exam papers are repetitive. I got an E in my mocks and ended up with a B in the real thing thanks to grinds. Maths is much simpler to learn when you don't have another 30 people asking questions around you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

You definitely can. Focus on exam papers, and get the Less Stress More Success book (that was soo helpful for me). If you can manage to answer the a's and b's reasonably okay and make a good attempt at the c's then you'll be flying. ATTEMPT EVERYTHING! The amount of attempt marks in Ordinary Maths is unreal so make sure you attempt every part of the question even if it's just a stab in the dark.

Good Luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

If you did Higher Level maths for the junior, you could probably get a D3 in pass level without even studying.

With ordinary level you just need to be able to recognise what type of question it is and remember which formula to use. Then it's colour by numbers - nothing you haven't done before if you've practiced all the past papers (without having the answer paper open in front of you, and time yourself to ensure you can do them in the alloted time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

... I have a B1 at foundation level but it's not worth much to me bar anyone knows what college in Dublin will accept that?

Well, there's UCD for a start.

There is no maths requirement for the following faculties in any of the NUI colleges:
    • Arts
    • Human Sciences
    • Philosophy
    • Celtic Studies
    • Law
    • Social Science

So, for those faculties, you need Irish, English, a third language and three other passes, (and you can count foundation level maths as one of those passes). There are subject requirements for individual courses within those faculties, but for most if not all, you don't need maths. You can also check out qualifax to see what courses don't require maths or will accept your B1 at foundation level.

The above information is from the NUI entry regulations, but you should double-check with the college of your choice.

The full document concerning entry regulations is linked here: http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/matricRegs2011_12English.pdf

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying the Ordinary level, by the way, just pointing out that there are options open to you even without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭samboshy

if it's pass maths then ye it's very easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Exam questions and (possibly) grinds. Maths is a handy subject because all you have to do is practice endlessly and you will get good at it. You just need to get used to recognizing the questions, and you have a chance at a pretty good mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭selfobsessed

Well, there's UCD for a start.

There is no maths requirement for the following faculties in any of the NUI colleges:
    • Arts
    • Human Sciences
    • Philosophy
    • Celtic Studies
    • Law
    • Social Science

So, for those faculties, you need Irish, English, a third language and three other passes, (and you can count foundation level maths as one of those passes). There are subject requirements for individual courses within those faculties, but for most if not all, you don't need maths. You can also check out qualifax to see what courses don't require maths or will accept your B1 at foundation level.

The above information is from the NUI entry regulations, but you should double-check with the college of your choice.

The full document concerning entry regulations is linked here: http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/matricRegs2011_12English.pdf

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying the Ordinary level, by the way, just pointing out that there are options open to you even without it.

Thank you, very helpful. I only have 230 points and no third language so my prospects of going to UCD look slim now :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thank you, very helpful. I only have 230 points and no third language so my prospects of going to UCD look slim now :(

There is always another way.
    Investigate the FETAC/PLC route into courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

My careers teacher said that if you go for a level 7 or 6 course first and do well you can jump into an honours degree course for a lot of thingsand not lose any time. Like if you were in second year in an IT course you would go into third year in UCD, so its definitely not off the cards yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

It's very doable, very similar stuff comes up in maths each year, make sure you get the max marks for the easy questions like statistics and arithmatic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement