Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Delivery Issue

Options
  • 24-01-2011 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ordered food from a Chinese in the Clonskeagh area of Dublin Saturday night last. Got the call from the delivery guy so I went to the front door and he told me the price. I asked for the receipt, and he asked why. I said I wanted it for myself, and so I could square up with my friend upstairs. I said there should be one. I paid the money, said thanks, and while I was walking back upstairs, he called out "you ****ing smartarse". Not going to lie, he looked as if he was going to follow me up the stairs!

I was thinking of calling into the place tomorrow afternoon, as when I called later on Saturday evening, the girl taking orders said she was the manager. Opinions please!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What is your issue?
    If it relates to a receipt, you are not actually legally entitled to one.

If you felt badly treated, well it's a Chinese, there are loads of them, I wouldn't waste time/effort and move to another one.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

slave1 wrote: »
    What is your issue?
    If it relates to a receipt, you are not actually legally entitled to one.

WTF is this kind of advice???? Where did you get your Law Degree? In the pub???

OP: Of COURSE your are entitled to a receipt.

I would report the delivery guy to his boss. Be aware that he now knows where you live and what you look like. If he seemed to be a psycho, you might be better off leaving things be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Report him and get him sacked

Call the manager and follow up with a letter.
    Be sure to issue the idle threat that you'll warn all your friends and everyone you know off this place. And maybe you will so it won't be an idle threat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

The OP has an issue with the manner of the delivery guy and the fact that he did not give a receipt.

There are plently of people out there who would love the extra cash this delivery guy gets and would be polite and mannerly to customers.

Let the place know and if they are decent they'll send this guy packing and employ someone who appreciates the work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok perhaps look at this from the other side of things,

First thing is first, companys don't have to automatically issue a receipt by law, they can however do so on request.

The item was a delivery so given everything is done back at base (food prep etc) by right the OP should have looked for a receipt when he was ordering, otherwise the delivery guy has to go back to base to get one printed.

The OP assumed there should have automatically been a receipt, however the OP was wrong with this assumption.

This none the less of course does not excuse the reaction of the delivery guy,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

My girlfriends dad works as a driver for a chinese. I go out with him on it all the time. They have no use for the receipt and he always tells me of how the chinese lads always try to add on delivery charges when not applicable. There is no reason why the receipt on the bag of the order thats handed to the customer should be kept by the delivery guy. All that happens to the receipt is its thrown at the end of their garden most of the time.

Call in, report the conti but a word of advice is you probably wont wanna order from there again as he could be the one handling your food (and likely will be). Theres also the secret code between drivers that they take the good tippers food and go to them first, no matter whats best time-wise so if he does deliver your food.... Dont expect it in record fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Pkiernan wrote: »

Where does it say you are entitled to a receipt in law?

My understanding is there is no legal entitlement for a receipt (except in certain circumstances where legislated for e.g. taxis).

OP, all you can do here is go visit the chinnese and explain what happened as it is not acceptable what the delivery person said to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

OP - That was disgraceful.

When I read your post first, I was in agreement with the other posters about reporting him.

But it all depends on how the restaurant takes your complaint. It's possible that they could tell him that you complained, and he has your address. If his attitude is that bad when he is delivering stuff to you, just bear in mind what it might be like if he was really pissed off. I'm not defending him - just pointing out that you might be dealing with someone who is very unreasonable and used to getting his own way.

It's a difficult one - on one hand, reporting him is the right thing to do, but then again do you need the potential hassle.

I would start using a different takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

while I was walking back upstairs, he called out "you ****ing smartarse". Not going to lie, he looked as if he was going to follow me up the stairs!

Seems more like unrequited love to me, than a consumer issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

axer wrote: »
    Where does it say you are entitled to a receipt in law?

My understanding is there is no legal entitlement for a receipt (except in certain circumstances where legislated for e.g. taxis)...
    I disagree. A consumer has the right in law to request a receipt when paying for goods or services. The seller has no right to refuse.

Therefore OP has the right to request a receipt for the food and the delivery charge(s).

According to http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

"If things go wrong ...
    • Make sure that you have a proof of purchase (a receipt, cheque stub, credit card statement or invoice)"
    As the delivery guys take cash at the door, a receipt is a must.

OP report him, then get your takeaways elsewhere.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

mathepac wrote: »
    I disagree. A consumer has the right in law to request a receipt when paying for goods or services. The seller has no right to refuse.

Therefore OP has the right to request a receipt for the food and the delivery charge(s).

According to http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

"If things go wrong ...
    • Make sure that you have a proof of purchase (a receipt, cheque stub, credit card statement or invoice)"
    As the delivery guys take cash at the door, a receipt is a must.
    Dont see that mentioned in law anywhere and the snippet from citizensinformation doesn't say they have to provide a receipt.

Got any source where it says a receipt must be issued? Would be good to know for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If this was me i would call in. However be clever. Point out you dont care what they do but his behaviour has put you in the position that now you cannot order from them again as you would never trust him to deliver the food.

If you order there once a week and spend 10 euro point out thats 500 euro a year they will be loosing.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Pkiernan wrote: »

Cabaal wrote: »
    First thing is first, companys don't have to automatically issue a receipt by law, they can however do so on request.

The item was a delivery so given everything is done back at base (food prep etc) by right the OP should have looked for a receipt when he was ordering

@ Pkiernan, one of my first lessons in Law (Contract, two years) is never assume anything, you assume too much as Cabaal correctly laid out for you.
    Unless you ask for a receipt at point of sale you are at the bequest of the seller afterwards.
    I suggest for this reason when we have an issue with goods after purchase there is no legal requirement to produce said receipt, just proof of purchase e.g. cr card statement, even a cheque stub.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Would the OP not have a menu with all the prices on it? and use that to work out each person's share? otherwise how would they have placed an order?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cabaal wrote: »
    True, but then you have this...
    Sprrratt wrote: »
    he always tells me of how the chinese lads always try to add on delivery charges when not applicable.
    If I was a legitimate (non-scamming) delivery man I would make bloody sure I had receipts from my employer when delivering. There is no way I would risk being told the price is wrong by some angry drunk I deliver to, or even a polite person who might say nothing but go off thinking I scammed them and give me no tip or no return custom to my employer.

It is a very well known and obvious scam for delivery men (or the owners as Sprrratt says) to put on a few more euro for themselves.

In the indian takeaway, the bombay pantry, they have a sign up saying if you get your food with no receipt you get it free -this says a lot to me, they recognise that people know about these scams and that they are fully legitimate. A place not issuing receipts as standard would raise my suspicions. I would call in (so they do not know your address) and ask is it normal practise to give receipts, and then tell them the driver claimed he had none (possibly to try and overcharge) and that he verbally abused you.
    Would the OP not have a menu with all the prices on it?
    Maybe not, with Chinese many people just call out dishes like curry & rice or chow mein and 99% of places will have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

rubadub wrote: »
    In the indian takeaway, the bombay pantry, they have a sign up saying if you get your food with no receipt you get it free -this says a lot to me, they recognise that people know about these scams and that they are fully legitimate.

Interestingly the Pantry never have the delivery charge on the receipt for me. I assume the driver just takes the money directly. This causes a slight problem as they always charge the max even though I live quite close. I get around this by paying by Visa on the phone, in which case they also take for delivery (it's on the Visa receipt, not their one). Standard €2.50 in cash for internet orders though. They also don't list the individual prices, which can be irritating.

Whether or not the law says they have to supply a receipt, sending a delivery without one is really dumb. Obviously most places won't want their drivers behaving like that either. You already complained though, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

rubadub wrote: »

Maybe not, with Chinese many people just call out dishes like curry & rice or chow mein and 99% of places will have it.

find it hard to believe that with the country on it's knees, people would be ordering food without knowing how much they're spending

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zab wrote: »
    Interestingly the Pantry never have the delivery charge on the receipt for me. I assume the driver just takes the money directly.
    I noticed the sign in the store the other day, I rarely get stuff delivered myself, I am close enough and heard bad stories of delays with them with deliveries so I collect.

I see the menu online says
    Delivery Charges
    A delivery charge of between €1.00 - €3.00 will be payable in respect of each delivery. The payment is in connection with the service provided by the delivery person and is retained by that person.
    If it is not on the receipt it seems it might be some third part arrangement, and so does seem their drivers might be chancers if going with the max.
    find it hard to believe that with the country on it's knees, people would be ordering food without knowing how much they're spending
    People order drink (pints) all the time without knowing the price in advance, a pint bottle of bulmers is often more than a full chinese meal. People usually have a rough idea what the price will be in their local Chinese (or pub). I see people order with no menu quite a lot, esp. chinese as it is usually good value, if its pizza people search for vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I get sick of the order coming to more than I added up from the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

slave1 wrote: »
    @ Pkiernan, one of my first lessons in Law (Contract, two years) is never assume anything, you assume too much as Cabaal correctly laid out for you.
    Unless you ask for a receipt at point of sale you are at the bequest of the seller afterwards.
    I suggest for this reason when we have an issue with goods after purchase there is no legal requirement to produce said receipt, just proof of purchase e.g. cr card statement, even a cheque stub.

Well then theres something up because that receipt is just dumped. He has no reason to keep it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mayflyatr

Order a 3 in 1 and a can of coke get it delivered and ask him for the receipt. That should really f*ck him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

ist simple, I always ask when I order how much it will be? Have had a few chance their arm and ask for more, hand over what I was told and tell them to call the shop if they have an issue - none of them did mind you. Moved to another takeaway after it happens.

Advertisement