Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fostering Cats

• 24-01-2011 5:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I know that there is a thread already for recounting the experiences of fostering and adopting animals, but I'm looking for some more specific advice.

Myself and my partner would love a pet (I'm a cat person and she's a dog person) but up until now we've been living in an apartment. We're moving next week to a small house with a small enclosed space and I'm toying with the idea of cat fostering. We are unsure of where we're going to be in the next couple of years (emmigration may loom) and would hate to adopt a pet, rear it as part of the family and then have to rehome it. I think it would be too painful.

I've been thinking of fostering as it's both short-term and would hopefully be a great experience. Couple of questions though.

1. What is the time commitment involved? I work irregular hours and she does shift work. I don't think it would be possible to have someone there all the time. Would this be problematic? Would fostering two cats so they could have company be better?

2. What is the average length of fostering a cat or kitten?

3. How have your experiences been fostering kittens over older cats? Has anyone fostered a very old/terminal cat? Just asking as I would be reluctant to foster a kitten that was very young as I haven't had much experience with them. Our family home has always had cats, many of them quite old so perhaps, an older cat would be more suitable. Are the responsibilites much greater with an very old cat? (Understandably, they would be, but would someone need to be there all the time to administer medicine.)

I think my greatest apprehension is that in a year or two, when life stuff happens and we may have to move, that we would have a fostered cat that would have to be moved into another foster home and not with a permanent family. I'm guessing that the kittens are all snatched up soon enough, but what of the older cats?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:) I would ring one of the shelters, but they seem to be so busy, that I'd like some more info just so I don't waste their time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

I have a friend who works for an animal welfare group and they are always despearte for fosterers for cats, both old and young.
    The period of time you foster would usually depend on yourself and how much you think you could commit to in one sitting.
    Often times, they just need a foster home for a cat that's been abandoned or surrendered until they can find it a forever home. You can opt to take one or more kittens, a mother with kittens or one or more older cats depending on whatever suits you at the time.

If you'd be interested in contacting her or the group, please send me a PM and I'll fill you in with all the details so that you can call/email and have a chat with them before you decide. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Cheers for that. Will be in touch once settled in and all that lark. Will also have to ask permission of landlord as lease stipulates. And will have to prove ourselves as good tenents before that.

Advertisement