Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are they alot of young people not trying hard enough for work?

• 24-01-2011 7:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

I have alot of people i know in the 18 to 25 bracket that dont seem to be trying very hard to find work.Do you agree or disagree with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

this is one statment i'd go further with and say a good lot of them when they are in work dont try even when they have a job. It seems to be a working to make the drink money for the weekend or socialize rather then anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I'd agree with this to a certain extent from going by people I know at least. A lot of them are 'looking for a job' then using the recession/lack of jobs out there as an excuse for not putting themselves out there and really trying! Its a 'sure whats the point anyway' type attitude. One in particular who lives off her parents/getting pocket money for drink etc and refused to go for an interview in Spar (well, pretended to be sick) because she has some kinda superiority complex!

That said, Im 22 and work my ass off to keep my job and a good few of my friends are in the same boat so generalisations never really work, theres always gonna be the dossers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

The problem with most young people at the moment is that they're qualified tradesmen and no matter how hard they look, they aren't going to find work in that area. A lot of them don't know what else to do, or would feel completely out of the loop working at anything else.

I know a few qualified tradesmen who have gone back to college to study business, after sitting around for ages on the dole hoping work would pick up again.

Problem with guys who know nothing else but how to work on sites, the idea of re-educating is probably very scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'd question whether you're working hard enough to type grammatically correct posts without lazy generalizations designed to feed your ego.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

scheister wrote: »
    It seems to be a working to make the drink money for the weekend or socialize rather then anything else

What should they be working for in your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I am in the 18-25 age bracket and I am currently unemployed since just before Christmas.

I am in the process of trying to find a job closer to home which is proving impossible and yes, I have applied to local shops, pubs, clubs, restaurants etc. I have sent cvs and also called various places on the phone because sometimes with smaller local places they would tend to do things a bit more informally. My boyfriend (who is born and bred here) has also been in touch with local businesses where he might know someone in the family but no luck yet. The outcome may be that I have to return to a nearly 5 hour daily commute to a job in Dublin (that is if I am successful finding a job in Dubli) which seems to be the only place I can find somewhere that pays above minimum wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

To be honest until you are out of work you really can't judge people whether young or old on hard they try to get work. I never believed how difficult it was until I lost my job, I got sick of having nothing to do all day apart from college work that I begged a friend to let me help him out where he works. I wasn't getting paid but I ended up picking up a few quid here and there so was able to sign off since the mid November which is good for my self esteem anyway.

Also young people who have left school with only their leaving cert used to get decent office/admin jobs or work in the construction sector, now some of these are taking up by college graduates or slightly more experienced and desperate people.

Scheister - Would you ever think of practising what you preach and take the wise advice in your signature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I lined up 6 applicants today for interview. Permanent position with good wages. Of the 6 I had lined up the 3 youngest (aged 24, 26 & 29) didn't bother to turn up or even call to reschedule. Another 25 year old that submitted a c.v then decided the 20min drive was too far so wouldn't even agree to an interview. And they say the young people are crying out for jobs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

Do you have any idea how depressing it is trying to get a job at the moment? For every 50 applications you send off you might get one interview, and then of course you get so excited at the prospect of finally having a job. But then half the time after going to the bother of attending you never hear from them again. What exactly is the point of trying? Oh yes, because living on the dole is no fun. It is so damn disheartening to try and try, to apply for jobs you know you are qualified for and more than capable of doing, and then still not get an interview.

Why this continual obsession with "spongers" and "wasters" and people "not trying" to get a job when we all know perfectly well that there aren't enough jobs out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

To even get acknowledgement of an application would be nice instead of being left second guessing yourself. To get a response after an interview whether it be positive or negative would be nice so you can just put it to bed and move on to the next thing.

• Advertisement

I lined up 6 applicants today for interview. Permanent position with good wages. Of the 6 I had lined up the 3 youngest (aged 24, 26 & 29) didn't bother to turn up or even call to reschedule. Another 25 year old that submitted a c.v then decided the 20min drive was too far so wouldn't even agree to an interview. And they say the young people are crying out for jobs :rolleyes:

What kind of job is it?

To even get acknowledgement of an application would be nice instead of being left second guessing yourself. To get a response after an interview whether it be positive or negative would be nice so you can just put it to bed and move on to the next thing.

Exactly. Common decency has gone completely out the window as far as I can tell.

Exactly. Common decency has gone completely out the window as far as I can tell.

If I don't get a response within a week I keep calling them till I do. If a company does that I believe it shows how unprofessional they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Do you agree or disagree with this?
    Agree, why should they? Wait until they're married and have kids and then they can start making a living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

I assume you're all following these people around to make sure they aren't looking for jobs and are in fact just lazing around at home all day. Right? Or do you just wanna throw out some generalisations?

Lux23 wrote: »
    If I don't get a response within a week I keep calling them till I do. If a company does that I believe it shows how unprofessional they are.

You're so right. Think I'm going to make some calls in the morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I'd question whether you're working hard enough to type grammatically correct posts without lazy generalizations designed to feed your ego.

The word generalise does not come from the Greek language. Therefore you should really use generalisations instead of generalizations as we speak British English in Ireland.

/Can outdo any grammar nazi, even after a bottle of wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

The problem with most young people at the moment is that they're qualified tradesmen and no matter how hard they look, they aren't going to find work in that area. A lot of them don't know what else to do, or would feel completely out of the loop working at anything else.

I know a few qualified tradesmen who have gone back to college to study business, after sitting around for ages on the dole hoping work would pick up again.

Problem with guys who know nothing else but how to work on sites, the idea of re-educating is probably very scary.

If I was in a position to take someone on for a basic job in retail or something low-skilled i'd definitely go with a young lad who had worked on the sites ahead of someone who had only worked in these sorts of jobs before.

Working on the sites has given some of them a work ethic like no other.

Hauling blocks and bricks around since 16/18 is much harder work then stocking shelves and operating a till.

Anyone can master these fairly basic skills and I believe it comes down to work ethic.

Employers are seriously missing out by not considering these young lads.

The word generalise does not come from the Greek language. Therefore you should really use generalisations instead of generalizations as we speak British English in Ireland.

Nah I'm hardly a grammar nazi, the title of the post was terribly worded. You're just taking pot shots as a wind up. Anyway I'm a grammar libertarian on the issue of american vs english spelling as can be seen, I just expect posts to be coherent and rational.

Nah I'm hardly a grammar nazi, the title of the post was terribly worded. You're just taking pot shots as a wind up. Anyway I'm a grammar libertarian on the issue of american vs english spelling as can be seen, I just expect posts to be coherent and rational.

Nah, I think you're just being harsh on someone who probably doesn't speak English as a first language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Actually, we speak Hiberno-English, Nazi boy.

Nah, I think you're just being harsh on someone who probably doesn't speak English as a first language.

Yeah of course I'm harsh on a fcking stupid argument based on an assumption that all young people are scroungers. Those are my final words on the matter, I have better things to do than get into a ridiculous tit for tat internet cock measuring contest with you.

Yeah of course I'm harsh on a fcking stupid argument based on an assumption that all young people are scroungers. Those are my final words on the matter, I have better things to do than get into a ridiculous tit for tat internet cock measuring contest with you.

Bit of an overreaction there I think, but fair enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

meanwhile, back on topic, im puzzled. my 20 year old college drop out nephew went for a job in security, no qualifications, no pull, no sense, wouldn't work to warm himself. got the job, supposed to be just part-time now working 40-50 hours a week 10.50 euro per hour. yeah its unsociable hours but he gets to watch tv, facebook without restriction, stalk his girlfriend by text message and admire his spotty reflection in the mirror. his sister aged 18 (goody goody first year arts in maynooth) queued like everybody else for a application form for a job in a popular fashion chain. queued again for an interview. dont know how they understood her shes extremely softly-spoken. of course she got the job euro9.15 per hour despite having no previous experience or pull. come to think of it has never as much as made a cup of tea in her life, but admittedly would have the preferred "look" for this fashion chain. also could be working 40 hours per week, but needs 16 hours in bed to recover from even one 6 hour shift. has anyone else a similar story?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Yes and no. Since graduating I was originally quite picky. Eventually I started throwing cvs around every retail unit in a 40 mile radius! Eventually got a full time job in a supermarket. There are jobs out there, but mostly low paid, and quite a lot of graduates are too proud to do these kinds of jobs. That said I basically have STOPGAP printed on my forehead.

Besides, I don't really see emigration as a tragedy. Anyone I know living in England or further afield are having the time of their life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

There are jobs out there for people who are willing to work. Myself, I have 2 part-time jobs(both low paid but jobs all the same) one which I got in the last week. I am in my last year of college, but neither job is related to my degree. I also have a friend who just moved from another country who got a job after being here after 1 week. I do belive that there are jobs out there, but the incentive to work on min wage is just not there.

There are jobs out there for people who are willing to work. Myself, I have 2 part-time jobs(both low paid but jobs all the same) one which I got in the last week. I am in my last year of college, but neither job is related to my degree. I also have a friend who just moved from another country who got a job after being here after 1 week. I do belive that there are jobs out there, but the incentive to work on min wage is just not there.

So why are some employers still receiving hundreds of applications for the crappiest of jobs? I interviewed for a job before Christmas that received 70 applications even though the ad was only up for one day? The job was just above minimum wage and only for 4 weeks. No matter what way you try to spin it, there are not jobs out there for everyone who wants one, not even at minimum wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    ...has anyone else a similar story?

Similar as in really spiteful and Mean-spirited? Your Niece and Nephew have both gone out, gotten jobs and are working 40+ hours a week in roles that clearly place demands on them, be it working un-social hours or balancing a customer facing role with college.

If I was in first year and working 40 hours a week, I'd want to have a sleep in every now and again too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    meanwhile, back on topic, im puzzled. my 20 year old college drop out nephew went for a job in security, no qualifications, no pull, no sense, wouldn't work to warm himself. got the job, supposed to be just part-time now working 40-50 hours a week 10.50 euro per hour. yeah its unsociable hours but he gets to watch tv, facebook without restriction, stalk his girlfriend by text message and admire his spotty reflection in the mirror. his sister aged 18 (goody goody first year arts in maynooth) queued like everybody else for a application form for a job in a popular fashion chain. queued again for an interview. dont know how they understood her shes extremely softly-spoken. of course she got the job euro9.15 per hour despite having no previous experience or pull. come to think of it has never as much as made a cup of tea in her life, but admittedly would have the preferred "look" for this fashion chain. also could be working 40 hours per week, but needs 16 hours in bed to recover from even one 6 hour shift. has anyone else a similar story?
    Sounds like jealousy to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

http://news.eircom.net/topstories/19187053/

I don't think so.
    I was unemployed for the last 6 months. I've 5 years experience behind me, and a good qualification....and it was very,very hard to find work.Very hard. I can't imagine how hard it is for them. They've little or nothing by way of experience in the case of many of them. Fair enough, they could take a job in a shop or whatever - but seriously, how long can that last for?? Taking the job for a while is fine, but if you suddenly find yourself there for 2 or 3 years....while the economy "picks up" or "gets better"......and suddenly those who come out of college 3 or 4 years after you have a better chance of getting a job in your career line.
    At this stage, I don't think it's a case of not trying hard enough. There aren't enough jobs, and certainly not for young people. And worse, nobody is even trying to address the problem - the assumption is that emigration will take care of the problem, and it'll all sort itself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I am a graduate but in fairness I did work for most of the years i was in college in shops and offices etc.

I was home a month and a half (was in South America for a year) when I got offered two jobs at the same time!

The one that I did not take said they had hardly any other applicants.

Now the job that I am in, the other two workers will only work 3 days per week so they can claim for the other days.

Maybe if i qualified for the dole I would be at it too.

There is no incentive to find a job, especially one like the one I have- minimum wage.

I pounded to street every week to look for signs in the windows and applied for every job i could see in the paper. But as I say I don't qualify for the dole and NEEDED a job badly.

Obviously some people have no experience and that is difficult for them but I would also question how some one could get to my age (23) without ever having a job. It's probably a different story for 18 year olds.

Also it is definitely more difficult for guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Why do people think they are going to just walk into a job that is related to their "degree"?

Thats what gets on my wick.

Why o why?

Why cant you go work at something else for a while, being if that means sweeping the floor somewhere or whatever? Is this the spoon-fed society we live in? My degree, my ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When I graduated and was stuck for a job I did hotel night porter for a few months.
    I liked nights

Eventually got something better.

You mightn't be able to get a graduate job immediately when leaving college but don't give up, take a stopgap for a few months
    And there are stopgaps out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

I'm in first year in college, and I would have to say that yes, alot of them are miserable f***ing scroungers, they get there huge grant payments, while i work my hole off to pay for college. The thing is though, most of them admit they dont want to work and are happy to scrounge off the state, theyre obviously getting too much in payments, as they can afford to save money for non-essentials.

it really gets on my nerves, i worked out that if I didnt work, Id be dropped down to the biggest adjacent grant, and only be 10 quid down a week, I dont do it though because id hate to be a scabby bast*rd

*rant over*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

To be fair, the normal college grant isn't huge by any means. Around 40% of college students get it and a lot of these work too. Hardly scroungers. When you graduate and go working in Ireland, you'll pay it back a hundred times over ;)

There are other grant schemes for mature students on BTEA but I don't know a whole lot about these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I was very fortunate to have gained some work experience while in secondary school and in college during the summer months and to have gained a graduate job after graduation. I was let go, did some voluntary work for a while and decided to go back to college. I'm now in the same boat of many people in their 20's looking for work.

I'm unemployed since the summer. I've tried everything, sending cv's by post and online to companies and for suitable jobs, I have added myself for job alerts/selective vacancies if anyone suitable came up with a company. I'm on linkedIn and a number of recruitment websites. I have mentioned to people I am seeking work and that word of mouth might be of help. I've been contacted by only a few employers/recruitment agents but often the jobs were not suitable or the location wasn't feasible or it was unpaid work placements. I can understand work experience is important but I'm just sick of voluntary work. I'd have no problems with minimum wage or going down a level for what I am qualified for but I have found it hard to even get into those jobs not just the areas I am qualified to work in despite qualifications and work experience!

Leaving home again I may not afford it in some places without being paid and my social welfare is not enough to cover the likes of bills, rent, groceries, bus fare in the likes of the cities (I only have a learners permit) etc. It be tight in cork but dublin not a chance the rent alone would be too expensive. Where I am its very hard to get a job down here in the country. I'v only ever had one job where I was earning and that was my graduate job. Its an employers market and they have got so picky. They won't hire someone unless they meet all the requirements. I myself hasn't had an interview in ages not even shortlisted. Usually recommended to hand in cv or do so on my terms and nothing happens. I follow up with prospective employers and they don't get back to me. I'm lucky to get an acknowledgment email at all! I'm lost all direction and don't know where to turn and the possibility of emigrating is frightening me!

I cannot understand why some posters think that our generation aren't looking for work hard enough. its not as simple as that even with work experience people still can't find work. Its got very difficult to find work even part-time work is hard to come by these days and often enough some are lucky to have two jobs to keep them afloat! Even the most qualified person might not get a job if they don't meet certain criterias.

Employers have got so fussy. Its not our fault there is an economic downturn. Why should we have to suffer? Unpaid work experience is good in itself but is not good to have for a year even with the social welfare allowance you wouldn't survive without some bit of a salary?
    Why should we feel undervalued when doing a job? All the hard work we have put ourselves through college. How is that we put ourselves through the education system and come out of it and no job/sitting at home doing nothing/emigrating? Its not fair, no person should work and not be paid some sort of salary even if its minimum wage what about it at least they are earning and it be better than being on the dole! Bottom line is, is there any work at all or is it just false hope that there is a job for everyone?

To be fair, the normal college grant isn't huge by any means. Around 40% of college students get it and a lot of these work too. Hardly scroungers. When you graduate and go working in Ireland, you'll pay it back a hundred times over ;)

There are other grant schemes for mature students on BTEA but I don't know a whole lot about these

yea, i get the grant, i get my fees paid and 70 quid a month, which pays my car insurance, which i need as there isnt a sufficient bus service from where i live. i then have a little over 100 quid a week to eat in the college the 2 days a week i cant get home for lunch, pay for the fuel in my car and any other costs which may pop up.

thanks to all this i had to stop taking my medication around a month and a half ago, as i hadnt the money to pay for it.

So sorry, thats why im giving out, it really just seems that I would be better off if I didnt bother my hole, now please dont think I'm giving out about all people my age who dont work, I'm not! Its just that there is a relatively large proportion of them doing this and it makes me really:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

briano wrote: »
    Similar as in really spiteful and Mean-spirited? Your Niece and Nephew have both gone out, gotten jobs and are working 40+ hours a week in roles that clearly place demands on them, be it working un-social hours or balancing a customer facing role with college.

If I was in first year and working 40 hours a week, I'd want to have a sleep in every now and again too.
    youve totally missed my point. im neither spitefull or mean-spirited and fail to se how you would get this impression of me from my post. if you bothered to read the post properly you would know that my nephew, who incidentally i love dearly, has dropped out of college. hes young, hes fit, hes made his desicion regarding his academic career, what wrong with him being expected to work 40 hours? hes not a child! as for my niece (equally well loved) go back and read my post again i said she could be working 40 hours. she gets texts from her employer offering her hours almost continuously. but she only works about 15 hours, mostly on the weekend. lie ins on both sat urday and sunday. is that all right with you or shall we call the be-nice -to-teenagers police?:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I disagree with that comment about 18-25 year old bracket,as someone said earlier, dont judge people that are out of work untill it happens to yourself. I graduated in 2004, i have been working everyday since oct 2010, its no way any fun bein on the dole, i hate the fact ive to pick it up every week, when id rather be waiting for my pay check in work. as for applying for jobs, i tink sum employers, sorry all employers dont boder getting back to any of the applicants, and as for interviews, i hadnt had one response to any of the interviews ive gone for, i went for one, in a well known company on the old airport road, they more or less said i had the job, and when culd i start, she said she wuld ring me the following friday, well she never did, i sent emails, rang her mobile, office etc, not even the decency to say i was unsuccesfull. its the same sending in cvs, its very hard to keep upbeat when you get knock after knock, the only response i got was for a work placement, and that says it all, working for free!!!

bri007 wrote: »
    I disagree with that comment about 18-25 year old bracket,as someone said earlier, dont judge people that are out of work untill it happens to yourself. I graduated in 2004, i have been working everyday since oct 2010, its no way any fun bein on the dole, i hate the fact ive to pick it up every week, when id rather be waiting for my pay check in work. as for applying for jobs, i tink sum employers, sorry all employers dont boder getting back to any of the applicants, and as for interviews, i hadnt had one response to any of the interviews ive gone for, i went for one, in a well known company on the old airport road, they more or less said i had the job, and when culd i start, she said she wuld ring me the following friday, well she never did, i sent emails, rang her mobile, office etc, not even the decency to say i was unsuccesfull. its the same sending in cvs, its very hard to keep upbeat when you get knock after knock, the only response i got was for a work placement, and that says it all, working for free!!!

yes well, im working and in college and would be very happy to do some work experience in a business in the industry i hope to enter.

i hope you took the placement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

bri007 wrote: »
    the only response i got was for a work placement, and that says it all, working for free!!!

:eek: I would be happy to work for free at this stage if i could put down on my CV that i was doing something worth while :)

but this **** cracks me up see below WPP posted on fas last week :confused:

(General Operative - WPP2)

Area of activity in which placement is offered*: Assisting as a General Operative within the Environment department to improve the overall appearance of the City. Participants will gain experience in*: Environment department General clean up duties including removal of litter, weeds and recyclables in specified areas. May also be requested to carry out certain gardening type duties. Working as part of a team in a supervised workplace environment Gain communication skills. May be given the opportunity to develop gardening skills. Person specification*: Must be flexible with regard to the undertaking of duties. Must be willing to learn and take on new tasks. Currently seeking general operative type.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

sherdydan wrote: »
    yea, i get the grant, i get my fees paid and 70 quid a month, which pays my car insurance, which i need as there isnt a sufficient bus service from where i live. i then have a little over 100 quid a week to eat in the college the 2 days a week i cant get home for lunch, pay for the fuel in my car and any other costs which may pop up.

thanks to all this i had to stop taking my medication around a month and a half ago, as i hadnt the money to pay for it.

So sorry, thats why im giving out, it really just seems that I would be better off if I didnt bother my hole, now please dont think I'm giving out about all people my age who dont work, I'm not! Its just that there is a relatively large proportion of them doing this and it makes me really:mad:

Your situation is not bad.

:eek: I would be happy to work for free at this stage if i could put down on my CV that i was doing something worth while :)

but this **** cracks me up see below WPP posted on fas last week :confused:

(General Operative - WPP2)

Area of activity in which placement is offered*: Assisting as a General Operative within the Environment department to improve the overall appearance of the City. Participants will gain experience in*: Environment department General clean up duties including removal of litter, weeds and recyclables in specified areas. May also be requested to carry out certain gardening type duties. Working as part of a team in a supervised workplace environment Gain communication skills. May be given the opportunity to develop gardening skills. Person specification*: Must be flexible with regard to the undertaking of duties. Must be willing to learn and take on new tasks. Currently seeking general operative type.

:rolleyes:

hey bandit, you should check this out, you might find something which suits you, and as far as i know, you can volunteer without affecting your dole payment
    http://www.volunteeringireland.ie/?gclid=CIqC0aHN1qYCFQ1O4QodNlWmHw

hey bandit, you should check this out, you might find something which suits you, and as far as i know, you can volunteer without affecting your dole payment
    http://www.volunteeringireland.ie/?gclid=CIqC0aHN1qYCFQ1O4QodNlWmHw

Thanks but its a paying job that i need i cant afford to work for nothing at the moment :(

Thanks but its a paying job that i need i cant afford to work for nothing at the moment :(

didnt you say just before that you wouldnt mind working for free to gain experience?

besides, you get to keep your dole payments, so youd be doing as well as you are now, its volunteer work so it would be flexible for any time you may require in your job hunting, i dont get the problem?

Penisland wrote: »
    Your situation is not bad.

i like how you didnt bold the part where i mention i have had to stop taking my medication as i cant afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JENNYWREN19

ooh are you based in Galway I'm looking for a job.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

yes i took the work placement, its not relevent to my qualification, but ill see how it goes, but ur right about some of the work placements on offer, there a bit of a joke to be honest, we need to give people the skills and knowledge in work based situations to drive them forward in the futuremwhich the future will inevitabley be abroad no doubth

didnt you say just before that you wouldnt mind working for free to gain experience?

besides, you get to keep your dole payments, so youd be doing as well as you are now, its volunteer work so it would be flexible for any time you may require in your job hunting, i dont get the problem?

Ya i would work for free to gain experience but i dont think im going to get any from volunteering, Im talking about doing a WPP :)

But after having a better look at what they are looking for in the limerick area i see age action are looking for a Computer Skills Mentor, it wouldn't give me any experience but i could pass away some time by helping others.
    Thanks for the link :)

Im not worried about keeping my dole payments as they will cut me off next week anyway as i have been out of work for a year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JENNYWREN19

joking on one side though, people of all ages are losing heart regarding finding a job. I expect many think that they're being invited along to fill up the interview quota. I've certainly felt like this the last two or three times I've had an interview. Also the unemployed of any age don't have the disposable income to go chasing up and down the country trying to find that elusive job. I've also been on the other side of the interview selection process which as I recall went eeny, meeny, miny mo with the cv's, the rest in the bin and oh let's give the job to someone from another branch. Maybe young people are just copping on a lot quicker than the rest of us?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement