Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are they alot of young people not trying hard enough for work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

If some teenagers dont want to look for work and continue to sponge off their parent thats fine by me

IMO its the parents fault for letting the situation get this way in the first place and it gives those who WANT to work a chance to prove themselves, get some cash and experience.

I agree with the OP in that I know people who see minimum wage jobs as beneath them, and who are wainting for 'the economy to pick up' or the 'right' job to come along.

So let them waste their time, dont get angry about it because at the end of the day they are gonna end up worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JENNYWREN19

bri007 wrote: »
    yes i took the work placement, its not relevent to my qualification, but ill see how it goes, but ur right about some of the work placements on offer, there a bit of a joke to be honest, we need to give people the skills and knowledge in work based situations to drive them forward in the futuremwhich the future will inevitabley be abroad no doubth

They're a bit of a joke because the employer should be paying someone to do that job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

Not trying hard enough or work is a bit harsh,
    I'm 18 and in college and find it near impossible to find any experience anywhere cause more often than not since I have no experience they won't take a chance with me and its very disheatining :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

They're a bit of a joke because the employer should be paying someone to do that job

not necessarily. alot of the time an employer will take on someone for experience, even though they are staffed at a reasonable level already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Depends on the job, like the one i posted earlier was a joke " you would gain experience in picking weeds" :rolleyes: but if you gain experience in something that you want to learn then why not.

donfarrell wrote: »
    Not trying hard enough or work is a bit harsh,
    I'm 18 and in college and find it near impossible to find any experience anywhere cause more often than not since I have no experience they won't take a chance with me and its very disheatining :L

What sort of work?

sherdydan wrote: »
    not necessarily. alot of the time an employer will take on someone for experience, even though they are staffed at a reasonable level already.

So what will the wpp person be doing, making the tea?

2 sugar please :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

well your attitude says it all.

• Advertisement

Depends on the job, like the one i posted earlier was a joke " you would gain experience in picking weeds" :rolleyes: but if you gain experience in something that you want to learn then why not.

Because the WPP as I understand it normally calls for normal working hours ie 40 hours a week approx, which the employer gets for nothing while the WPP person may not even be getting paid, if their jobseeker's benfit has run out. Some of that 40 hours per week might be better used trying to find paid work. Anyone who can get a CE placing would be better off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If I had no Job which has I often did, I would probably chance any job just for the experience of having the Job. You never know where it could lead or what experience you'll gain from it the worst it'll lead into is another Job.

If someone was unemployed and not doing anything most days for over 3mts i'd be very reluctant to hire them, I don't care if it's picking stones, pulling pints or stacking shelves it still shows there willing to work.

tbh, if I was under 25 or out of work with little prospects i'd either be in education or somewhere sunny earning peanuts but enjoying myself.

Because the WPP as I understand it normally calls for normal working hours ie 40 hours a week approx, which the employer gets for nothing while the WPP person may not even be getting paid, if their jobseeker's benfit has run out. Some of that 40 hours per week might be better used trying to find paid work. Anyone who can get a CE placing would be better off

Ya a CE placing would keep you getting the 200 euro a week but any that i have seen wouldn't add anything to a CV but if i wanted to work in say web design and i was offered 6 months hands on experience then i would like to be able to put on my CV that i worked with a company for 6 months to gain experience in the job that i was going after :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Firstly, going by some posts here, people need to learn how to spell. If you dont know the difference between "there are" and "they are", you should be back in sixth class, not job hunting. I'm being serious.

Secondly, how far is too far to travel? I know a lad who travels from Roscommon to Dublin and back everyday. Thats normal travelling people! Anyone who turns down a job because it was an hour away doesn't deserve a job IMO.

Thirdly, one poster commented that most youngsters only seem to be working for drinking money, and another poster asked "Well what do you think they should be working for?"!!!!!!

Where to start!?!?!?!?
    1. Money for rent
    2. Money for food
    3. Money for bills
    4. Money for a car, diesel, tax, insurance etc.
    5. Money for unforseen events, like pregnancies or perhaps further education
    6. A nest egg for a house
    7. A nest egg for starting a life in a different country
    8. A nest egg for a busines
    I could go on, but after you budget for all those things, THEN you can spend a few quid on drink:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

If I had no Job which has I often did, I would probably chance any job just for the experience of having the Job. You never know where it could lead or what experience you'll gain from it the worst it'll lead into is another Job.

If someone was unemployed and not doing anything most days for over 3mts i'd be very reluctant to hire them, I don't care if it's picking stones, pulling pints or stacking shelves it still shows there willing to work.

tbh, if I was under 25 or out of work with little prospects i'd either be in education or somewhere sunny earning peanuts but enjoying myself.

What's more important, willingness to work or having the technical ability to do the work. ? Some useless managers will tell you it's willingness to work, good managers however are unconcerned with periods of unemployment providing the person knows how to do the job.

newmug wrote: »
    Firstly, going by some posts here, people need to learn how to spell. If you dont know the difference between "there are" and "they are", you should be back in sixth class, not job hunting. I'm being serious.

Where to start!?!?!?!?
    1. Money for rent
    2. Money for food
    3. Money for bills
    I could go on, but after you budget for all those things, THEN you can spend a few quid on drink:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't normally point out spelling mistakes, but if you are going to act pedantic to other people about grammar/spelling - at least get it correct yourself.

• Advertisement

This is a chat forum not an english exam :rolleyes:
    Secondly, how far is too far to travel? I know a lad who travels from Roscommon to Dublin and back everyday. Thats normal travelling people! Anyone who turns down a job because it was an hour away doesn't deserve a job IMO.

With the price of petrol and running costs of a car these days people have to take into account how far they can travel :(

macquarie wrote: »
    I don't normally point out spelling mistakes, but if you are going to act pedantic to other people about grammar/spelling - at least get it correct yourself.

Dodgy keyboard. Not blatant lack of ability to spell on my part.

Ya a CE placing would keep you getting the 200 euro a week but any that i have seen wouldn't add anything to a CV but if i wanted to work in say web design and i was offered 6 months hands on experience then i would like to be able to put on my CV that i worked with a company for 6 months to gain experience in the job that i was going after :)

even if you're interested in the area of a specific work placement programme I think it takes some gall to ask for a full working week for no remuneration. When my daughter, who falls into the under 25s age group was unemployed she looked at work placement schemes in local creches to gain some formal experience - she'd already worked as an au pair and knew how demanding looking after small children can be, especially other people's children - expecting to be asked to put in ten or maybe even fifteen hours a week. Then she found out placements lasted 40 hours a week for a year. Well, when she'd finished laughing her socks off she went and enrolled for college instead. Now she's getting a training and she's much happier with that decision and so am I

Dodgy keyboard. Not blatant lack of ability to spell on my part.

someone in 6th class would come up with a better one than that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    youve totally missed my point. im neither spitefull or mean-spirited and fail to se how you would get this impression of me from my post. if you bothered to read the post properly you would know that my nephew, who incidentally i love dearly, has dropped out of college. hes young, hes fit, hes made his desicion regarding his academic career, what wrong with him being expected to work 40 hours? hes not a child! as for my niece (equally well loved) go back and read my post again i said she could be working 40 hours. she gets texts from her employer offering her hours almost continuously. but she only works about 15 hours, mostly on the weekend. lie ins on both sat urday and sunday. is that all right with you or shall we call the be-nice -to-teenagers police?:mad::mad::mad:

Ah Mary what's wrong?

Is this all because Tesco wouldn't give you your job back after getting fucked out of the x-factor?

• Advertisement

This is a chat forum not an english exam :rolleyes:

Exactly. And if people cant spell on something simple like this, how do you think it will look on a CV?

With the price of petrol and running costs of a car these days people have to take into account how far they can travel :(

Its more likely that people just dont want the hassle of getting up early. I get up at 5am, hit the road at 5:30, start work at 7am, finish at 8pm, and drive 50 miles home.

Tax and insurance remain the same, so the main extra cost would be fuel. Most cars can do at least 20 mpg. So for every extra 20 miles, its only 4.5 extra litres. Roughly a fiver? For securing a paying job? The whole "Ah its too far away" argument is rubbish IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's more important, willingness to work or having the technical ability to do the work. ? Some useless managers will tell you it's willingness to work, good managers however are unconcerned with periods of unemployment providing the person knows how to do the job.

Owner managers would be concerned. There's no excuse for doing nothing . To me it screams your lazy and from experience I wouldn't employ someone long term unemployed again as i've found them to be lazy.
    Pull some pints, do something but don't do nothing.

lads, stop bitching - you've stayed up too late, go to bed

Someone who doesn't capitalise the first letter of a sentence won't be getting any interviews for a long time:cool:

Someone who doesn't capitalise the first letter of a sentence won't be getting any interviews for a long time:cool:

sorry, I didn't realise we were being so formal

sorry, I didn't realise we were being so formal

*Sigh* Jenny, I'm just giving some advice relevant to the thread - take it from someone with experience. Learn to spell people. Know the difference between "they're", "there", and "their". Dont balls up a job opportunity over stupid, primary school level, spelling and grammar mistakes on your (not you're) CV.

*Sigh* Jenny, I'm just giving some advice relevant to the thread - take it from someone with experience. Learn to spell people. Know the difference between "they're", "there", and "their". Dont balls up a job opportunity over stupid, primary school level, spelling and grammar mistakes on your (not you're) CV.

So are you an employer/manager/supervisor? How many people have you hired? What line of work?

So mr ***** your here for the job of truck driver, so are you a good driver?
    No sir I cant drive for S**T but look at me CV not 1 spelling mistake sham :D

Well mr ***** that's good enough for me you got the job :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

This is a discussion forum. People tend to write in a sloppy manner on discussion forums.

That is a 300 km commute every day. It is absolutely absurd to claim that is normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Apologies for the short "hijack", but the whole grammar thing reminded me of this: 10 words you need to stop misspelling.

• Advertisement

daigo75 wrote: »
    Apologies for the short "hijack", but the whole grammar thing reminded me of this: 10 words you need to stop misspelling.

I don't balls up cvs but then I'm not writing one at the moment, am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AmyMaria

I don't think it is for lack of trying. My friends and I are often told it's because we lack the experience required, some companies want to employ people who have the relevant experience and can just jump right into the job.
    While some people aren't trying, I know a guy who had a call yesterday from a bar yesterday but he didn't answer because they might want him to work Friday night :rolleyes:
    But as my friend and I are travelling to Dundrum Town Centre (which is an hour and half public transport journey :p) I don't think it'd be fair to say "a lot of us" aren't trying very hard to get work, the majority of us are, it's only a select few who aren't bothered and probably believe they can live off mammy and daddy til the recession gives over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Ah Mary what's wrong?

Is this all because Tesco wouldn't give you your job back after getting fucked out of the x-factor?
    wow! how come someone a clever as you is sitting in a discussion board at 2am and not getting a nights sleep for work in the morning? could it be that you have no job to go to in the morning?why, i wonder.......?:confused::confused::p
    never mind maybe Tesco willbe impressed by your wit and wisdom and hire you the next time you apply!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

Thirdly, one poster commented that most youngsters only seem to be working for drinking money, and another poster asked "Well what do you think they should be working for?"!!!!!!

Where to start!?!?!?!?
    1. Money for rent
    2. Money for food
    3. Money for bills

To all young people spending their dole money on drink (and fags), please remember when someone starts lecturing you like this that you are paying a hell of a lot more of your income in tax than the person accusing you of being a lazy scrounger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

To all young people spending their dole money on drink (and fags), please remember when someone starts lecturing you like this that you are paying a hell of a lot more of your income in tax than the person accusing you of being a lazy scrounger.

huh it's ok they smoke and drink as they're paying tax, but they're paying tax with the tax payers money:confused::confused:

You don't make any sense.

ntlbell wrote: »
    huh it's ok they smoke and drink as they're paying tax, but they're paying tax with the tax payers money:confused::confused:

You don't make any sense.

They're going to get the money anyway, at least spending it that way they're pumping it back into the economy and the government coffers. They could be saving every penny of the taxpayer's money under their mattress instead - what good would that be doing the economy?

So are you an employer/manager/supervisor? How many people have you hired? What line of work?

Yes, lost count, manufacturing.

So mr ***** your here for the job of truck driver, so are you a good driver?
    No sir I cant drive for S**T but look at me CV not 1 spelling mistake sham :D

Well mr ***** that's good enough for me you got the job :rolleyes:

VERSUS Mr.Professional-behaving-can at least spell at primary school level.

"So, for this truck driving job its down to 'Mr.*****' who cant drive for sh1t, and 'Mr.Professional-behaving-can-at-least-spell-at-primary-school-level' who also cant drive for sh1t, but at least has intelligence. Hmmmm who will I hire????"

That is a 300 km commute every day. It is absolutely absurd to claim that is normal.

Enjoy your career on the dole:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Where to start!?!?!?!?
    1. Money for rent
    2. Money for food
    3. Money for bills

Its not a spelling competition, and by the way smart arse, this is how you spell business!!! Maybe you should go back to sixth class.

bri007 wrote: »
    Its not a spelling competition, and by the way smart arse, this is how you spell business!!! Maybe you should go back to sixth class.

Why are people so narky about spelling? I know its not a spelling competition, I never said it was, I'm just offering some advice to help people looking for jobs, LEARN TO SPELL!

Also, do the relevant research. bri007, if you bothered your arse to read the whole thread, you would see why I spelled business the way I did. The irony:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm sure most people put a little bit more care into their CV than they do into their chat, just as they probably don't swear in interviews. They'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Everyone's views on this are going to be purely anecdotal but yes, a lot of people I know who are unemployed don't have much drive to do much about it. If you're living with your parents and not paying any rent (or a tiny bit of rent), for a lot of people their isn't much incentive to pound the pavement with CV's in-hand if you're on the dole. Also, the more mates they have that are out of work the more free time they spend with them and both mates' predicaments seem normalised. I've two very close friends who haven't worked in nearly two years and one would come down the country once a week (I moved to a diff county to take a new job, he wanted to come along and look for work down there), collect his dole and head back home on the bus that night or the next morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Speaking as someone who spent the past 4 months commuting 5 hours daily let me add my two cents on the comments people have made on commuting.

I live just outside Waterford City and commuted to Baggot Street in Dublin City for 4 months. I was up at 5am and didn't get home until 9pm. Depending on whether the trains were actually running to schedule, more often than not I didn't get home until nearly 10pm. The bus service was no use to me because I had to be in work at 9am and the bus didn't get to Busaras until around 8.45. My train ticket every week cost nearly €150, add on top of this bus fares and/or taxi fares because the train regularly (and by regularly I mean at least three times a week) got in late and my employer was not very understanding if I was a few minutes late because of something out of my control. When the weather was bad during November and December and the trains were severely effected, I didn't get home until 11pm some nights. This was after being on a freezing cold train for over 4 hours and going home to get straight into bed and up at 5am the next day.

Unfortunately I only have my provisional bike license so I can't travel on the new motorway which means that driving time would be relatively similar to the train as well as petrol costs and the additional costs of wear and tear on my bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Enjoy your career on the dole:D

I'd love to be on the dole :pac: but unfortunately I work for a living!

Every morning I ask myself why...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

They're going to get the money anyway, at least spending it that way they're pumping it back into the economy and the government coffers. They could be saving every penny of the taxpayer's money under their mattress instead - what good would that be doing the economy?

or we could reduce it to a state where they can't afford to buy smoke and drink?

or we could reduce it to a state where they can't afford to buy smoke and drink?

And take it off the people who cant afford to pay rent and buy food too?

• Advertisement

Who are you to judge what's an acceptable way for people to spend their money? I found out not an hour ago that I didn't get a job because I was overqualified - if I decided that I would like to go out and spend the remainder of this week's dole money on drowning my sorrows, who are you to tell me that I shouldn't? If I decided to go shopping for new clothes instead - just as useless in the grand scheme of things - would that be acceptable? Or paying for a car that I don't really need because I live in the city and there's public transport - would that be acceptable?

would that be acceptable?

No it would NOT! now go out and have a pint for yourself :D

No it would NOT! now go out and have a pint for yourself :D

If I didn't have rent to pay this week I'd be necking a bottle of vodka right now :mad:

If I didn't have rent to pay this week I'd be necking a bottle of vodka right now :mad:

If I wasn't skint myself I'd send you a bottle of vodka. It's bad enough being out of work without being told you're not meant to enjoy yourself as well

I'd love to be on the dole :pac: but unfortunately I work for a living!

Every morning I ask myself why...

Don't fool yourself. If you've got a mortgage and/or a family to support it's no joke

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement