Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are they alot of young people not trying hard enough for work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

dellas1979 wrote: »
    You just hit the nail on the head Shelga - A1 to you...

No need for petty sarcasm.
    You call A job "****ty"?

Who are you, exactly, to deem a persons job as ****ty?

I think most people who work cleaning toilets would agree it's not a very enjoyable job. Why are you so hyper-sensitive?
    Where I work, the person cleaning the toilet gets just as much respect from me as the CEO of the company.

Where did I say I have no respect from people in menial jobs? I did them myself for many years.
    Please dont tell me you "deserve" a job in your field...and if you do think that, why? What have you done in your life that makes you think you deserve it?

Have you a good, positive attitude towards work? No, you demonstrated that by calling a job ****ty.

I don't think I "deserve" a job, I have no experience. I understand that. Should I not even try to get into my area (engineering)? Is that what you are saying? All I said was it is disheartening to get nowhere with job applications. I do not have a sense of entitlement about walking into a job so please give it a rest.
    Have you confidence? Well, I dont know you personally but from your reply Id say you are over-confident, but you actually know nothing about nothing.

You're right- you don't know me or anything about me. Please don't be so rude and aggressive.
    Determination? You shot down someone who said they travelled 6 hours a day for a job.

No I did not. I said I would rather emigrate than do such a thing myself, but only because that option is available to me. I have the utmost respect for someone prepared to go to such lengths to get ahead. If I was determined to stay in Ireland forever, I would get a minimum wage job. Why are you so venomous in your replies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ilovealmonds

I don't post much on boards, but I just couldnt pass this by. dellas1979 I think you entirely missed the point Shelga was trying to make. Having graduated a couple of months ago I too have been on a jobhunt, only now am I beginning to make headway.
    Its all about quality of life. Why would someone choose to stay here only to work in a job they hated, had no real advancement opportunities, was irrelevant to their training and resulted in 6 hours travel a day? That is pure ridiculous, though maybe I am the only one who believes that life is for living, not just surviving. The truth of the matter is that if an opportunity to emigrate to Australia or wherever exists, and that person is not tied to any committments why would they stay, and not go in search of a better quality of life?
    You talk about starting small - well is'nt 4 years of study starting small? why would i bother if I had known I would be no further on, 4 years later? Yes I am thankful that I got free education, but its not a walk in the park either. You make it sound like they hand out degrees like its some sort of free cheese scheme. it isnt, its bloody hard work and takes a lot of commitment, and dare I say it, determination.
    You seem to think we should grin and bear. People have spent the last 10 years spending money they havnt had. Are we just expected to bear the brunt of this greed and selfishness? I have never spent money I did'nt have. Should I just stay in Ireland "determined" to be in one of those "****ty" jobs, with poor quality of life, so that I can reimburse the government for the mistakes of the previous generation through higher taxes.
    Personally I don't think so. If nothing comes up by the end of February Ima packing my bags and jumping ship.
    And thats all I have to say about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Shelga - that is the typical idiotic response of someone who knows nothin about nothin.

You just dont know what youre about yet - but just dont call jobs "****ty" by your own shoddy standards. Very very naive.

Hell, sorry, but you are the one who is complaining that they are going to leave the country because they cant find a job. What do you think is going to happen in the next country you go to? "Awh welcome to my country, you are just the person we were looking for". Get real would you.

There are more people out there now with higher qualifications than you, better work experience, better work ethic and attitude than you, better over all roundedness, and you do nothing to better yourself, except cost the government money to actually send you to college, and then refuse to "work" because its not related to your degree?

Did you read the small clause somewhere that said you were guaranteed a job related to your degree and it would land in your lap? Sure, it gives you a better shot to get/find a job, but nothing in life is guaranteed.

You are just shooting yourself in the foot before you've even started. And from what I can see bud, you aint going anywhere...

No i didnt ilovealmonds.

You would agree with each other because you are in the same boat.

As I said above, Im not the one on here complaining they cant find a job.

Most of us have been in your boat graduate-wise, so less of the self pity and calling jobs ****ty.

A job is a job, or is that the point you are missing.

Edit: I just saw your free cheese comment - see this is the level of silliness out there - I appreciate on a personal level getting a degree/further education is no easy feat - Ive graduated 3 times at this stage, so dont lecture me like you know it all. You dont. But im under no illusion that all my qualifications gives me the right to work in what I want to. Its a combination off all the other qualities above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭City Boi

I have alot of people i know in the 18 to 25 bracket that dont seem to be trying very hard to find work.Do you agree or disagree with this?

Well, I'm in the age bracket you mentioned, and I actually AM trying hard for work but it's so hard, plus if I ask for info on here about companies etc, the thread I post in just dies for some reason:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I gave up a job in May 2010 as I had worked there for 3 years and hated it, I scoured the jobs websites for a job to replace it, and within a fortnight I had done several interviews and was asked to work at several places. I up and left from my previous place and walked into my new job within 2 weeks. In some ways it was a success story but, I do know that this will not be the same for everyone, I have friends have have been screaming out for jobs with amazing CV's to no avail.

Personally, I wouldn't hand a CV into anywhere because most of the time they are ripped up and thrown in the bin. Jobs websites are the way to go, it's how I got my current job but I would keep watching the websites a few times a day.

I do know that some people use the recession for sitting on their arsse and it makes me sick that my money is paying for anothers laziness, but giving others a chance while they actually try and search for employment

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JENNYWREN19

ntlbell wrote: »
    as in people are choosing it as a career?

Are you serious? Long term unemployment as a career? There's not enough jobs for everyone out there,(haven't you noticed) therefore it follows that there are a large number of (ex) workers who aren't going to get fixed up with work

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JENNYWREN19

City Boi wrote: »
    Well, I'm in the age bracket you mentioned, and I actually AM trying hard for work but it's so hard, plus if I ask for info on here about companies etc, the thread I post in just dies for some reason:(

Yes, strange isn't it? All of a sudden the know it alls know nothing when asked a relevant question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Dellas1979 and ntlbell seem to think they know the secret to getting a job in today's harsh market? Can you tell us how if they were out of a job how they would go about securing a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

I'm 22

It took me about 200 CVs to get the job I have now. I've been working in it 6 months. My employer's are quite happy with me.

I live in Dundrum, and I work in Swords. I take the bus..

It takes me 2 hours to get to work. I spend 4 hours travelling each day most days. I also work late shifts so I don't get home till 12:00 in the evening. I've taken 4 sick days in the space of 6 months. They pulled me up on it, so now I use my holidays whenever I'm genuinely feeling ill.

My family have come to me for money, and I pay a bill each month. I have no time to socialize outside my job. While I'm typing this, I've been in the door 2 hours. I need to get a bank statement printed out along with a payslip for a loan I'm applying for with my credit union to get some transport organized for work. I won't be able to get those till the credit union until Saturday probably. I also have my washing to do and I've yet to eat a meal today. I also have to think about booking the driver theory test, studying somewhat for that, getting the insurance organized, etc. Then trying to get a good nights sleep, so I don't sound like a dullard talking to customers over the phone.

This is still better then my previous job which was the Irish Defence Forces (PDF). Although my current job doesn't feed me and cloth me, it's nice having freedoms.

The one thing I hate the most about this country is idiots in it who make sweeping generalizations about everything.

My brother is going to the United States for work, I am giving serious thought to going with him.

I can't stand the bureaucracy of everything here anymore, fill out forms for this, for that, forms for other forms. We don't even get a say in the political arena anymore, they make a law, it passes. That's not democracy, that's facism. I've never been in a headshop, nor care very much about them, but they'd no right to ban them. Where was my say or vote in it? They wanted to ban hoodies a while ago, what's next? Uniforms for everyone to avoid bullying for the sake of people's mental health? Forcing medicine or controlled drugs on people for the sake of health?

I won't start on the lack of any kind've financial authority, but we did just kill the motor industry off there recently and no one seems to be bothered about that. I can see someone now saying, "Better CO2 emissions herp derp."

What the **** do you actually know about CO2, recycling , or saving energy. We just get told what to do these days and it becomes a ****ing trend so everyone does it.

Herd mentality and lack of individual thought killed this economy.

Honestly if the government of the world tomorrow passed a law that went something like this ;

"All cars need to be painted luminous yellow, we've done the research and have backing from *insert government funded research body here* to say that if we do this accidents could possibly be reduced by upto 60%"

I bet you everyone would just go along with it.

So to answer the original question, I believe people in our age bracket work very hard. Things are far more competitive these days globally. We have more immigrants then we had before. The only thing you can perhaps fault them for is not getting involved enough in politics. Although that said I'm sure people have tried and gotten nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I'm 22

It took me about 200 CVs to get the job I have now. I've been working in it 6 months. My employer's are quite happy with me.

I live in Dundrum, and I work in Swords. I take the bus..

It takes me 2 hours to get to work. I spend 4 hours travelling each day most days. I also work late shifts so I don't get home till 12:00 in the evening. I've taken 4 sick days in the space of 6 months. They pulled me up on it, so now I use my holidays whenever I'm genuinely feeling ill.

My family have come to me for money, and I pay a bill each month. I have no time to socialize outside my job. While I'm typing this, I've been in the door 2 hours. I need to get a bank statement printed out along with a payslip for a loan I'm applying for with my credit union to get some transport organized for work. I won't be able to get those till the credit union until Saturday probably. I also have my washing to do and I've yet to eat a meal today. I also have to think about booking the driver theory test, studying somewhat for that, getting the insurance organized, etc. Then trying to get a good nights sleep, so I don't sound like a dullard talking to customers over the phone.

This is still better then my previous job which was the Irish Defence Forces (PDF). Although my current job doesn't feed me and cloth me, it's nice having freedoms.

The one thing I hate the most about this country is idiots in it who make sweeping generalizations about everything.

My brother is going to the United States for work, I am giving serious thought to going with him.

I can't stand the bureaucracy of everything here anymore, fill out forms for this, for that, forms for other forms. We don't even get a say in the political arena anymore, they make a law, it passes. That's not democracy, that's facism. I've never been in a headshop, nor care very much about them, but they'd no right to ban them. Where was my say or vote in it? They wanted to ban hoodies a while ago, what's next? Uniforms for everyone to avoid bullying for the sake of people's mental health? Forcing medicine or controlled drugs on people for the sake of health?

I won't start on the lack of any kind've financial authority, but we did just kill the motor industry off there recently and no one seems to be bothered about that. I can see someone now saying, "Better CO2 emissions herp derp."

What the **** do you actually know about CO2, recycling , or saving energy. We just get told what to do these days and it becomes a ****ing trend so everyone does it.

Herd mentality and lack of individual thought killed this economy.

Honestly if the government of the world tomorrow passed a law that went something like this ;

"All cars need to be painted luminous yellow, we've done the research and have backing from *insert government funded research body here* to say that if we do this accidents could possibly be reduced by upto 60%"

I bet you everyone would just go along with it.

So to answer the original question, I believe people in our age bracket work very hard. Things are far more competitive these days globally. We have more immigrants then we had before. The only thing you can perhaps fault them for is not getting involved enough in politics. Although that said I'm sure people have tried and gotten nowhere.

Welcome to the real world!

You have it relatively easy. You were off sick 4 times in 6 months? In most jobs that would be 4 times too many. But fair play to you, you're doing well now. If going to America is what you want to do, then more power to you. But it wont be any different, if anything it will be harder. And if you think it cant get any worse here, wait until a mortgage and kids come along!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Yeh I don't envy the guys in work with family and kids.

Condoms ftw

Lux23 wrote: »
    Dellas1979 and ntlbell seem to think they know the secret to getting a job in today's harsh market? Can you tell us how if they were out of a job how they would go about securing a job?

Sure - first, and its quite hard to do, but take your head out of your own arse and come back to reality. There are 1000s of people applying for jobs. 1000s of people more qualified and more experienced than you.

1. Be nice to everyone.
    2. Educate yourself to the best of your ability
    3. Work for free
    (I worked fulltime, did my MA parttime and worked for free (after months of trying to talk a company into giving me a tial) - all at the same time-to try and give myself a chance)
    4. Dont be such a cock and say "oohh Im NOT working there" and turn your snouty trout to a job not in your field. Look at it this way, if you go to an interview with a blank CV, what are you going to talk about? Your college projects? Not a friggin chance (unless of course it is a graduate position). Flipping burgers demonstrates something (yes-the people with no jobs are probably laughing now saying "yeah it demonstrates how to flip burgers"). "Yes sir -I learned to interact with people. I was always on time. I changed the way the work flow process worked. I made suggestions.....etc.". Doesnt that say more about you than sitting on your ass doing nothing.
    5. You might be proud of yourself for getting that lovely qualification, but noone else cares. They dont. You are important to you, but not to anyone else. If you think otherwise, you are deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

1. Be nice to everyone.

As you clearly are, you delightful young man.

Im a girl.
    Way to go in being observant.

I lay it out on the table. If you take it personally, then you seriously need to toughen up a bit.

Ok but thats for someone who is just out of college.

I finished college in 2002 and have worked ever since then until my role was made redundant last July. I wanted to be a journalist so I spent from early 2003 working freelance and doing a full time job until late Christmas 2004. I rarely got paid for the freelance work so I decided I would look at other options, in February 2005 I started working as a PA/Office Manager for an architects, it paid the bills but I was offered a job in an Accountancy firm doing basically the same thing but for more money.

I decided in late 2007 that I really wanted to go back to doing something in media so I applied for a PR Assistant's role which I was delighted to say I got even though I had no real experience. I worked away at that until I lost my job which means I have over two years experience in PR. When I lost my job I decided I would enroll in a PR diploma to keep my brain going and to get the piece of paper really.

I am also working part time so not signing on currently but that job will be gone in two weeks time.

I have applied for loads of jobs at this stage including admin roles (incidentally I didn't hear back from any of those), but my main focus has being on securing another PR/Communications role. I have asked for work experience with several PR agencies who refused me on the basis that their interns should be straight out of college, if I meet anyone in the business I ask them for their email and send on my CV. I have begged friends to give a shout if any jobs come up in their company. I am doing PR campaigns for two charities but neither of these can pay me.

I have gone around some cafes and pubs looking for work but none will take me on as its just doesn't make sense for them to hire a PR Executive with no waitressing experience.

So tell me what I should do? And please tell why someone with my experience and education should have to work for free? I have debts, rent, food to buy? Im actually quite sick at the moment but cant afford to pay for a doctor.

Im a girl.
    Way to go in being observant.

I stand by my comment.

Why work for free?

Because if you dont, someone else will.

Lets say we are both in PA looking for experience/want opportunity to work in that field. Both in the same boat. If you wont work for free, and I will - who do you think is going to get the experience/chance?

I dont care that you wont work for free. Im off getting my experience.

Back to reality, did I really want to work for free? Hell no, but I wanted a job, and if I wasnt going to do it, someone else was.

I stand by my comment.

Off you go...you'll be standing there a while.

Your one liners are cracking me up.

Sorry if I hurted your feelings :pac: Seriously, its all getting a bit stroppy and "toys out of prams" for someone telling the truth and reality of it all. Or else people simply cannot adjust their heads as to what is actually going on in the world.

It would be interesting to have a thread called "Who was offered what they considered a job thats underneath them and wouldnt take it" and see how many replies you get.

Why work for free?

Because if you dont, someone else will.

Lets say we are both in PA looking for experience/want opportunity to work in that field. Both in the same boat. If you wont work for free, and I will - who do you think is going to get the experience/chance?

I dont care that you wont work for free. Im off getting my experience.

Back to reality, did I really want to work for free? Hell no, but I wanted a job, and if I wasnt going to do it, someone else was.

Ok but like I said noone will take me on as an intern? So what can I do now? And its PR!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I lined up 6 applicants today for interview. Permanent position with good wages. Of the 6 I had lined up the 3 youngest (aged 24, 26 & 29) didn't bother to turn up or even call to reschedule. Another 25 year old that submitted a c.v then decided the 20min drive was too far so wouldn't even agree to an interview. And they say the young people are crying out for jobs :rolleyes:

How did you let those that did not merit an interview, know that their application was unsuccessful?

Ok but thats for someone who is just out of college.

I finished college in 2002 and have worked ever since then until my role was made redundant last July. I wanted to be a journalist so I spent from early 2003 working freelance and doing a full time job until late Christmas 2004. I rarely got paid for the freelance work so I decided I would look at other options, in February 2005 I started working as a PA/Office Manager for an architects, it paid the bills but I was offered a job in an Accountancy firm doing basically the same thing but for more money.

I decided in late 2007 that I really wanted to go back to doing something in media so I applied for a PR Assistant's role which I was delighted to say I got even though I had no real experience. I worked away at that until I lost my job which means I have over two years experience in PR. When I lost my job I decided I would enroll in a PR diploma to keep my brain going and to get the piece of paper really.

I am also working part time so not signing on currently but that job will be gone in two weeks time.

I have applied for loads of jobs at this stage including admin roles (incidentally I didn't hear back from any of those), but my main focus has being on securing another PR/Communications role. I have asked for work experience with several PR agencies who refused me on the basis that their interns should be straight out of college, if I meet anyone in the business I ask them for their email and send on my CV. I have begged friends to give a shout if any jobs come up in their company. I am doing PR campaigns for two charities but neither of these can pay me.

I have gone around some cafes and pubs looking for work but none will take me on as its just doesn't make sense for them to hire a PR Executive with no waitressing experience.

So tell me what I should do? And please tell why someone with my experience and education should have to work for free? I have debts, rent, food to buy? Im actually quite sick at the moment but cant afford to pay for a doctor.

Ditto. Worked for a few years after my degree, went back to university for a year - came out with great prospects and several permanent jobs lined up for interview but then the recession kicked in and these all got postponed and then eventually cancelled. Managed to pick up a few short-term contract jobs in my area, and when these dried up decided to apply to go back and do the masters. Got a place, but then of course I couldn't find a part-time job to pay my way through it so had to let it go.
    I apply for all sorts - shop assistant, pub staff, cleaning staff, receptionist, whatever. But the only interviews I ever get called for are in admin, which is what I'm experienced in. I've done two more vocational courses (secretarial, accounts) to try to make myself more employable, but there's always someone just that little bit better. Or, as in the last case, someone that little bit less educated (which apparently was preferable). What the hell are we meant to do?

Well, I dont know what your negotiating skills are like (I assume you have excellent communication skills being a PA) - but I wouldnt take no for an answer.

Even if all you could get out of them is 1 day a week, you should put on your best negotiating hat.

Off you go...you'll be standing there a while.

Your one liners are cracking me up.

Sorry if I hurted your feelings :pac: Seriously, its all getting a bit stroppy and "toys out of prams" for someone telling the truth and reality of it all. Or else people simply cannot adjust their heads as to what is actually going on in the world.

It would be interesting to have a thread called "Who was offered what they considered a job thats underneath them and wouldnt take it" and see how many replies you get.

I know, I'm a hoot.

I really find it very amusing that of all the very reasonable people on this thread, you're the one calling me stroppy...

But by the by, the only time I have ever turned down a job was when I got offered two at the same time. Ah, the good old days.

Juniper - without sounding overly-bold, you literally just walked over my posts.

I am talking about people who are recent degree graduates and the like who see non-field-specific jobs as not worth going for.

Everything is worth going for.

I've emptied bins for a living to make ends meet. I made ends meet and moved on, when I could, to better things.

I just cant get over the mentality of jobs being beneath people, especially when people need jobs so badly. Its such snotty, irrational behaviour to me.

Well, I dont know what your negotiating skills are like (I assume you have excellent communication skills being a PA) - but I wouldnt take no for an answer.

Even if all you could get out of them is 1 day a week, you should put on your best negotiating hat.

Im not a PA, I am a PR Executive and I did my best but the PR industry is so small in Ireland many of the companies are paranoid about getting a reputation as exploiting the unemployed and even if they gave me the experience it couldn't go on my CV. But clearly as you seem to think I am a PA you didn't do me the courtesy of reading my post properly.

But thanks for confirming what I knew, there isn't some big secret about finding work at any level at the moment you just have to keep plugging away and ignore people like you; who have no idea what they are talking about. You haven't come here to give young or unemployed people advice, you just came here to put them down for your own sense of entitlement.

Juniper - without sounding overly-bold, you literally just walked over my posts.

I am talking about people who are recent degree graduates and the like who see non-field-specific jobs as not worth going for.

Everything is worth going for.

I've emptied bins for a living to make ends meet. I made ends meet and moved on, when I could, to better things.

I just cant get over the mentality of jobs being beneath people, especially when people need jobs so badly. Its such snotty, irrational behaviour to me.

I cleaned hotel rooms for years, and I'm fully prepared to do it again. The point is that most people looking at my cv for that kind of job now just feck it in the bin. Of course everything is worth going for, and people are, but then people come on here and accuse them of being lazy. I don't know any of my unemployed friends who are only applying for jobs in their fields, but none of them are having any luck getting called for interviews for that or waitressing or hotel cleaning. What are they meant to do? There are not enough jobs there for all of us.

Christ on a bicycle...

I have never been involved in PA-type field/work, so I dont even know what a PA executive does or what it is. Do I need to know this in my job/life? No. Im not a friggin employment agency.

Highly strung comes to mind - keep in mind that maybe you come across to employers like this - I certainly wouldnt negotiate with you with that chip on your shoulder.

Christ on a bicycle...

I have never been involved in PA-type field/work, so I dont even know what a PA executive does or what it is. Do I need to know this in my job/life? No. Im not a friggin employment agency.

Highly strung comes to mind - keep in mind that maybe you come across to employers like this - I certainly wouldnt negotiate with you with that chip on your shoulder.

I would like to think if I was being interviewed for Public Relations Executive role the person interviewing me would know what it was. Most people aren't so ignorant of the world that they don't know what that is. I may well have a chip on my shoulder while dealing with people who love to comment on 'stupid, lazy unemployed people' but can you blame me. You really haven't a clue about what your talking about.

I am well aware that there are plenty of people on the dole right now who are doing feck all to find a job but do me a favour and don't lump us all together.

• Advertisement

I cleaned hotel rooms for years, and I'm fully prepared to do it again. The point is that most people looking at my cv for that kind of job now just feck it in the bin. Of course everything is worth going for, and people are, but then people come on here and accuse them of being lazy. I don't know any of my unemployed friends who are only applying for jobs in their fields, but none of them are having any luck getting called for interviews for that or waitressing or hotel cleaning. What are they meant to do? There are not enough jobs there for all of us.

Woe, back up there a minute horse. The title of the thread is "Are there a lot of young people not trying hard enough for work?" - Or in other words, "Is there a segment of the unemployed who are under 25, inexperienced, not very highly qualified, who are spoiled brats and are actually happy enough to be slobbing around?"

Going on the post above, you dont fit into that bracket. So nobody is accusing you of being lazy.

But were you not the one saying that dole shouldn't be cut as it will cause further economic decline, and that unemployed people should be entitled to spend their money on whatever they want, and that people shouldn't have to commute for a few hours? Why are you being all defensive?

Well I can't speak for Juniper but the point I am trying to make is that if I am struggling to find work with my experience and education then it is much harder for younger people with no experience to get their foot in the door. I think to say that a huge portion of them are turning their noses up at paid work is untrue and we also have to take into consideration that there aren't going to be many opps for grads in this country for years to come so this will continue. So we will have yet another braindrain. I don't think you should be angry at young people who can't find work, you should feel sadness for them and anger at what this country has become.

An earlier poster said that tiger cubs think they are entitled to a job in the area they studied as if there was something wrong with this. If you spend 3-5 years studying to become an engineer, is it really too much to ask to get a job as one? Its a tragedy that young people who grew up being told that if they worked hard and got a degree that a good career in their own country would be their reward. After all that nonsense was forced down their throat by their parents, teachers, government, peers even; they are supposed to be happy to get a job flipping burgers! Does noone else see something really wrong there? Fair enough if its a stopgap; but anyone with a brain in their head knows that Ireland is facing into at least a decade of planned misery and economic stagnation. These kids will have no option but to leave Ireland like they did in their droves in the 80s and yet people come on to a website and slag the young people off as they created this shameful, disgusting situation this country is in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Well I can't speak for Juniper but the point I am trying to make is that if I am struggling to find work with my experience and education then it is much harder for younger people with no experience to get their foot in the door.

Its pretty much impossibe for anybody to get any sort of job out there at the moment, its very frustrating!! if there are jobs advertised, the amount of experience and qualifications they require now are unreal

newmug wrote: »
    Woe, back up there a minute horse. The title of the thread is "Are there a lot of young people not trying hard enough for work?" - Or in other words, "Is there a segment of the unemployed who are under 25, inexperienced, not very highly qualified, who are spoiled brats and are actually happy enough to be slobbing around?"

Going on the post above, you dont fit into that bracket. So nobody is accusing you of being lazy.

But were you not the one saying that dole shouldn't be cut as it will cause further economic decline, and that unemployed people should be entitled to spend their money on whatever they want, and that people shouldn't have to commute for a few hours? Why are you being all defensive?

You diss my peeps, you diss me!

But in all seriousness, of course there are some people who don't try very hard, but there have always been those people - in every generation. It's not peculiar to the Celtic Tiger cubs. But if you cut the dole, you punish everyone - not just a few lazy feckers, but the rest of us (the majority of us) who are trying to get a job and can't because - as aforementioned - there are not nearly enough jobs to go round.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭boscoroxx

I've lived with one of my best friends for 11 months now, and in that time she hasn't been able to find work. Apparently.

We're both 22, we both have very good degrees in the same field.
    She has stuck to giving music lessons in the front room a few times a week to cover her expenses because it's "all the work [she] can find".

I've just landed my 4th job since May - the first two were temporary positions in sales, the third was in marketing which I was let go from due to cut backs and the fourth is in customer service. And the longest I was unemployed for was a week. I genuinely believe work can be found if its looked for hard enough and you want it. I travelled up to two hours a day each way on the us, she has a car and still wont look anywhere that's more than 10 minutes away or she doesn't think she'll like. It's ridiculous. I didn't care the work was only temporary - it's still good experience. I didn't care it wasn't relative to my degree - it means I'm more versatile.

I just could shake her sometimes! :mad:

Well I can't speak for Juniper but the point I am trying to make is that if I am struggling to find work with my experience and education then it is much harder for younger people with no experience to get their foot in the door.

Well yes! Obviously! But do you think there are some people who just dont give a rats, who are sitting pretty, puffing pot, and playing playstation all day in Mammy's sitting room? I believe there are! And it irks me so much to think that while we're all struggling, people like yourself even moreso, that I'm paying for them to do that:mad: If I were in your position, I'd be mad at them too. You could do with the few bob they're wasting away!

• Advertisement

Well yes! Obviously! But do you think there are some people who just dont give a rats, who are sitting pretty, puffing pot, and playing playstation all day in Mammy's sitting room? I believe there are! And it irks me so much to think that while we're all struggling, people like yourself even moreso, that I'm paying for them to do that:mad: If I were in your position, I'd be mad at them too. You could do with the few bob they're wasting away!

There have always been lazy people but I am much angry at people who are trying to disrespect young people in general. In fact I know of many people in their 40s and 50s who are unemployed who have been living off the state since they were born. Older even so its not an issue of their age.

There have always been lazy people but I am much angry at people who are trying to disrespect young people in general. In fact I know of many people in their 40s and 50s who are unemployed who have been living off the state since they were born. Older even so its not an issue of their age.

Who said it was??????????????????? The reason the word "younger" is in the title thread (I assume) is because older people have the advantage of experience. They have good CV's. Young people generally don't.

And the topic is, aside from lifers who wouldn't work to warm themselves, are there "inexperienced" people who are just not trying hard enough, not willing to travel, looking down their noses at "****ty" jobs, expecting more than minimum wage and generally expecting the red-carpet treatment! I believe there are! Its not an ageist thing!

Im sure there is but like I said if you spent 3 - 5 years studying wouldn't you feel you deserve a decent job? I covered that off in my earlier post.

Im sure there is but like I said if you spent 3 - 5 years studying wouldn't you feel you deserve a decent job?

No.

No.

Why do I find that hard to believe?

• Advertisement

No.

I dont believe that for a second. Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

I can't for the life of me understand the "Here's my degree, where's my job?" mentality. It's like that young lad on the frontline last week complaining he wanted to be a teacher and giving out there "mightn't be a job for him as one" As my oul lad used to say, he'd want a shoe in the hole.
    I haven't worked in my field for over a year now, but have been doing any job i can get my hands on, and they are not hard got.
    I was at aptitude tests for factory work (for manual dexterity) before the Xmas, and over the 3 days if there was more than 5 ouy of 120ish people u-25 trying to land a job, I'll show me arse! I had told a few people about the jobs that were going, but most weren't interested in "that" kind of work. wtf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I have a pretty unique skill set so how I would do it and someone else would be completely different.

but if you list what you have done so far I'm sure lots of people including me will tell you were you're going wrong and point to things you could be doing. but i imagine you dont actually want help you just want to make a petty point

Im sure there is but like I said if you spent 3 - 5 years studying wouldn't you feel you deserve a decent job? I covered that off in my earlier post.

no you don't "deserve" anything, life doesn't oue you anything. why expect someone else to take a huge risk starting a company? do you think they do it because students coming out of college "deserve" a job the delusion sense of entiltment is just sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭bigslick

I warn you, this is long…….

I happen to be in this age range (25) and find some of the views in this thread sickening. I have worked in part and full time jobs since I was in 5th year. I went and pursued my degree, got a 2nd class honours, went straight into a masters program, graduated with 2nd class honours, managed to secure a job in a Top 4 consulting firm, and then the economic crisis hit and I was laid off as a recent graduate employee.

I was out of a job for months, trying to keep myself afloat by working nights in a casino as well as part time as an invigilator for exams. I was barely making rent and bills getting max 5 hours of sleep a night. All this while searching everywhere for a job in my field.

I finally managed to get an UNPAID position 4 days a week and have been working in it for 6 months now, however the state says since it is not a recognised FAS placement I cant claim for Job Seekers Benefit. This is not to insult the position, it is a great one and certainly adds to my CV and I hope to use it to springboard myself.

It is true that there are many individuals out there my age or younger who are very relaxed when it comes to finding work, but this generalisation is akin to saying that all black males are criminals because you once were mugged by one.

And the thought that we don’t deserve a job in our field is indeed founded, however I feel some people are missing the point that after putting years of work and money into our education we now have only a piece of paper to show for it. Do we "deserve" a job, no. Do we "expect" to get a job from a discipline we have put years into studying, yes. Is this so wrong?

And I love how people say “why do you think you should get a job straight out of college hahahaha!!”, maybe because Irish society for the past 10 years has engrained that idea in us. Our parents and teachers have consistently been pushing us to get an education so you can have a better life. But when we come out of this education we are told, “what, u expected to just get a great career starting job? Go flip burgers”. We didn’t invent this sense of expectation in society, our predecessors did.

Any people I know in this age range that are failing to make rent are out there working in retail, chippers and shopping centres. What some people fail to realise is that if you are not stuck for money, why would you take a job that’s not in the field you have qualifications for and that will add nothing to your CV when looking for such jobs?

Anyway, this has turned into a rant but I feel there are some relevant points and that many will agree and disagree with me, I don’t really mind which, as both will allow further discussion

I warned you at the start………..

bigslick wrote: »
    And the thought that we don’t deserve a job in our field is indeed founded, however I feel some people are missing the point that after putting years of work and money into our education we now have only a piece of paper to show for it. Do we "deserve" a job, no. Do we "expect" to get a job from a discipline we have put years into studying, yes. Is this so wrong?

No it's not wrong, but "deserve" and expectation are worlds apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

The young people I know would jump at a job if they could get one there are no jobs their for them and as for fas and courses these are a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cool it please folks, or the thread will be looked. No more petty sniping or personal remarks

• The people I know certainly aren't trying very hard. I caught up with some friends from my Masters last week and none of them have had any work since it finished last September. I asked if they had been applying and they were like 'yeah I send a few applications a week.' A WEEK? That is NOT looking for a job. I'm working 40 hours a week right now (contract ends soon) and I apply for 10+ jobs a day. If there is nothing suitable advertised, I e-mail any company I think might be able to offer me work. I've e-mailed clients I used to work for and offered freelance services, I've gotten in touch with any contacts I have to see if they know of anything. This is what I consider the bare minimum and there's no excuse at all for not applying for jobs, especially when you have nothing else to do. I had to laugh when one friends said she might end up 'just doing TEFL' for a while, as if it were barely any better than being long term unemployed and sponging off her parents. If I were in her position, I'd be applying for Burger King or anything else that paid. I did much better in college than she did, I have much more work experience than she does, better IT skills and more languages, and I'd be happy to find a TEFL job. Hardly cleaning up sick and blood in the McDonalds toilets, is it?

Some people just have no drive. I'm well aware there are very few jobs. I'm well aware that I'll be lucky to find one. But if it comes to signing on, I'll be able to do it knowing I tried my hardest and knowing that I'm doing everything I can to find a job. A lot of people just aren't arsed. They think they deserve a top job in a top company after a few years in college, and if they can't have it, they're not interested.

and as for fas and courses these are a joke

How many have you done?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement