Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are they alot of young people not trying hard enough for work?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Lux23 wrote: »
    I had some redundancy left after I cleared my debts and paid for my course but its all gone now, I actually pawned my phone and IPOD today to pay for the rest of it which left me with a tenner.

I need more than a while lie to get jobs, I have never worked in the service industry in my life. Im actually crying now because i am so scared, my life is over.

What age are you? 23 from your username?

Now is your time to shine and this will be the making of you, you have to keep trying (and possibly find cheaper rent).

Most of us been where you are job-wise (yes even during the "boom" years), and managed to make it work. dont cry. It should make you even more determined to find a job.

And how do you know all it wont take is a little white lie...have you tried it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

My Dad is out of work and it's driving him mad. He has a couple of hours here and there and looked hard to find that. He's from what is known as an unemployment blackspot where the percent's far higher than the national average. I think it's despicable that people sit in judgement, or think they know better, when it could be the death of him.

what has this got to do with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Right so I am supposed to be grateful to you for telling to do things I am doing already or for making suggestions that are just plain silly and unworkable.

You have made me feel so small and have only highlighted how hopeless my situation is. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

ntlbell wrote: »
    what has this got to do with anything?

You said hard workers always have work. It isn't true. It's a myth. He is one hard worker who is struggling to find work. The kind of smug callousness advanced by some on this thread is no help at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

dellas1979 wrote: »
    What age are you? 23 from your username?

Now is your time to shine and this will be the making of you, you have to keep trying (and possibly find cheaper rent).

Most of us been where you are job-wise (yes even during the "boom" years), and managed to make it work. dont cry. It should make you even more determined to find a job.

And how do you know all it wont take is a little white lie...have you tried it?

I am 28, 29 in May. How can I make up a CV with say retail eexperience if I never did it, do i put say five years of fake jobs on it. What I normally do is go in and talk to the manager and give them a stripped down general CV that my local employment service helped me do. But I can't lie and say I worked in shop if i never did. Its all I can do. They want people who have experience and they also want someone who they think will stay in the job, I would walk as soon as I get something better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I swear lux - I am convinced it is your foolish attitude that is holding you back.

You've taken over this thread, making it all about you, and now fighting with everyone that has a suggestion.

Edit: sorry I just saw you latest post. If you talk to the managers like fools, like you are doing here, no I would not entertain you.

What do you want from people on here exactly?

Do you want me to apologise for you not having a job? What blood are you out for? The thread is about something completely different.

You asked me what I would do, and Ive told you. Not my fault if you cant pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and go look for a job with the same passion and determination that you are showing on here trying to make your points. Go out and make them listen.

Right so I am supposed to be grateful to you for telling to do things I am doing already or for making suggestions that are just plain silly and unworkable.

You have made me feel so small and have only highlighted how hopeless my situation is. Thanks for that.

Nope, not greatful at all. I thought pointing out where a chef for example started up a very succesful PR company from chatting to someone on a social networking site might spark an idea or someone you could potentially talk to, to get advice from someone who's done it. his name is on the site. it has a link to his twitter, it would take 30 seconds to send him a message. but your right, that would be too much work and it's a silly un workable idea.

just an idea! it costs nothing.

If anyone takes time to throw some ideas or advice my way the last thing i do is shoot them down and tell them how silly it is. but it seems to be working for you.

I am 28, 29 in May. How can I make up a CV with say retail eexperience if I never did it, do i put say five years of fake jobs on it. What I normally do is go in and talk to the manager and give them a stripped down general CV that my local employment service helped me do. But I can't lie and say I worked in shop if i never did. Its all I can do. They want people who have experience and they also want someone who they think will stay in the job, I would walk as soon as I get something better.

You "tailor" the CV to suit the position.

You don't have to make up fake jobs. you take skills you have learned in other jobs and show the employer how they could help/work in the role for example.

christ all mighty you make this hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

ntlbell wrote: »
    but it is line with your over all negative outlook.

There's a difference between having a negative outlook and being realistic. Have you picked up a newspaper recently? Turned on your television? Ireland is down a metaphorical toilet, which hasn't even been flushed yet. We can't all delude ourselves and live in a cuckoo wonderland where there's a booming window-cleaning trade which we can all get involved in and save the economy.

You said hard workers always have work. It isn't true. It's a myth. He is one hard worker who is struggling to find work. The kind of smug callousness advanced by some on this thread is no help at all.

You said in recessions people didn't do things like clean windows etc i showed you a number of jobs they did and you come back with some story about your father.

I'll re-phrase to not insult your hard working father, anyone i've ever known to be a hard worker has never been without work and when they were it wasn't for very long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

OK, too many personal comments at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement