Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai probe girl's taxi ordeal over 50 cent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Wompa1 wrote: »
    When in Rome..plus if he did it to a guy it would be just as wrong. He just most likely would have got popped in the jaw

but then he could sue and get his fifty cents that way. tis a lot of money these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The recession is hitting hard, 50 cent could keep a family fed and watered for a week these days. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

snubbleste wrote: »
    The article does mention a foreign driver.
    It would'nt have mentioned that it was an Irish driver.

I was just watching Sky News a few minutes ago. They were talking about the Joanna Yeats case and how the suspect something Tabak appeared in court today for the first time. I found it interesting that even though the question of the necessity for a translator for Tabak was raised a couple of times, at no point did the reporters mention his nationality or whether or not he was from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

yes but surely he burnt that 50c on petrol speeding around Galway for 10 minutes

And now he's going to lose his job etc

They really should of told him at the point of picking up, take us to the sqaure or as close to the sqaure for €8, so they may have needed dropping off at Eglington Street instead, big deal

Did the girl get her €50 back? It wouldn't of been a note I'd of thrown to get out of that car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I was just watching Sky News a few minutes ago. They were talking about the Joanna Yeats case and how the suspect something Tabak appeared in court today for the first time. I found it interesting that even though the question of the necessity for a translator for Tabak was raised a couple of times, at no point did the reporters mention his nationality or whether or not he was from the UK.

Think he is Dutch so I would have assumed he has great English

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's mentioned everywhere else..
    Vincent Tabak, a 32-year-old Dutch national - dailymail.co.uk
    Dutch engineer Vincent Tabak - telegraph.co.uk
    A 32-year-old Dutch national has appeared - bbc.co.uk/news
    Dutch engineer Vincent Tabak - thisisbristol.co.uk
    A DUTCH man accused of killing architect - thesun.co.uk
    Dutch engineer is remanded in custody - guardian.co.uk

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's mentioned everywhere else..
    Vincent Tabak, a 32-year-old Dutch national - dailymail.co.uk
    Dutch engineer Vincent Tabak - telegraph.co.uk
    A 32-year-old Dutch national has appeared - bbc.co.uk/news
    Dutch engineer Vincent Tabak - thisisbristol.co.uk
    A DUTCH man accused of killing architect - thesun.co.uk
    Dutch engineer is remanded in custody - guardian.co.uk

That's not my point. Nor is it to do with his English language skills. I'm just saying that in the Sky news report I watched at no point was his nationality mentioned despite the mentioning of a translator. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Did they really need to call her "Liz" for such a short article? Would "she" not have sufficed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Gardai probe girl's taxi ordeal over 50 cent

And people wonder why Zhivago went out of business.
    It says it all when international rap superstars resort to cab driving in Galway.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Did they really need to call her "Liz" for such a short article? Would "she" not have sufficed?

they could have chosen a more Irish name.

the article does not state whether or not the alleged culprit was apprehended. if he is still at large this is going to cause problems for the non national drivers as therya re now all suspect.

BTW i notice going over O Briens bridge on the Kellys Supermacs side of the road every taxi driver waiting there is black. is this a black spot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

if he is still at large this is going to cause problems for the non national drivers as therya re now all suspect.

Maybe people will bring enough money for their taxi fare then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

BTW i notice going over O Briens bridge on the Kellys Supermacs side of the road every taxi driver waiting there is black. is this a black spot?

Maybe we should make a new national thread, similar is reported in the Cork and Limerick forums.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

tbh nearly every argument over a taxi fare I've ever seen in Galway has involved some middle class white wanker hurling drunken abuse at a black driver because he didn't want to pay the agreed fare. The girls are often worse for it too.

Just sayin'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

maybe the student was a typical spoilt drunk abusive teenager after her nagan at her house and got personal with the taxi driver after insisting that she was not going to pay the taxi driver was simply driving her to the guards station like what is common practice for taxi drivers to do before she jumped out and cryed kidnap.

id like to hear both sides

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's not my point. Nor is it to do with his English language skills. I'm just saying that in the Sky news report I watched at no point was his nationality mentioned despite the mentioning of a translator. That's all.
    That's because it is a rolling news service. I watched SkyNews (for shame) on Saturday and it mentioned the fact that he was Dutch a number of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 liabhroidi

Why she's a girl and then a woman?

Common old school journalistic habit to label all women under 30 as girls.
    But you would never call a male over 18 a boy, so that's why she is correctly referred to as a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I hope she gets her €50 back

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

gbee wrote: »
    Because his behaviour was not? Just a thought.
    I don't see any mention of non human behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I watched Sky News on Saturday and they reported that he was Dutch in fact every Sky News that I saw up to last night said the same thing, just because they did not mention it on the news you saw means nothing, every one in the UK and here knows he was Dutch since his arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I keep hearing that it is common practice to drive a non-paying taxi customer to the gardai station.

Isn't this still considered false imprisonment*?

*I have no idea what the Irish laws surrounding this are like, but these kinds of laws are pretty standard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see any mention of non human behaviour.

I didn't bring it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Xiney wrote: »
    I keep hearing that it is common practice to drive a non-paying taxi customer to the gardai station.

*I have no idea what the Irish laws surrounding this are like, but these kinds of laws are pretty standard
    I was wondering the same thing myself.

Does this mean that any lunatic who decides they want to kidnap someone can drive a taxi, pretend they're short changed on the fare and then if they are caught, maintain they were on the way to the garda station?

We do / do not know whether or not the taxi driver was short changed.

We DO KNOW that the passenger was absolutely terrified and driven around for ten minutes in absolute fear. I think this guy should lose his licence. This kind of behaviour is absolutely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As to false imprisonment, this is from Wiki
    Any person can arrest someone who they have reasonable cause is in the act of committing or has committed an "arrestable" offence, that is one punishable by more than 5 years in prison.[13] The arrest can only be effected if the arrestor has reasonable cause that the person will attempt to avoid apprehension by Gardaí and the arrestor delivers the person to Garda custody as soon as is practicable.
    Discussed more here
    http://www.politics.ie/justice/44617-citizens-arrest-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

biko wrote: »
    As to false imprisonment, this is from Wiki

Discussed more here
    http://www.politics.ie/justice/44617-citizens-arrest-ireland.html

So it is illegal to bring a non-fare paying customer, because that is not an offense for which a prison term of 5 years is ever doled out.

People generally get less than a year for assault in Ireland, ffs. (And get let out 3 weeks into it)

Storm 10 wrote: »
    ...just because they did not mention it on the news you saw means nothing, every one in the UK and here knows he was Dutch since his arrest.

That's all I wanted to know. Because I could only comment on what I saw I wasn't sure if it's just that everyone (apart from me that is) already knew he was Dutch or are there restrictions placed on reporters with regard to mentioning whether a suspect is a national or foreign national in case it could potentially bias a trial unfairly. Evidently not. Thanks for the clarification :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

So it is illegal to bring a non-fare paying customer, because that is not an offense for which a prison term of 5 years is ever doled out.

People generally get less than a year for assault in Ireland, ffs. (And get let out 3 weeks into it)
    It doesn't matter what is normally doled out but what the maximum sentence for that crime is. For many crimes I think this is likely to be more than five years even if actual sentences are normally much shorter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:mad: Cant believe this, and then foreign taxi drivers people wonder why people skip them, my sister had a bad experience with one of the foreign taxi drivers before.
    I know loads of people who will only get into a taxi with Irish drivers and who would blame them with this sort of carry on.
    Its high time the Gardai acted on the taxi industry in Galway, there are many illegal immigrants working in the industry as can be seen anytime the Gardai checkpoints, i.e a lot of the foreign drivers disapear for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I watched Sky News on Saturday and they reported that he was Dutch in fact every Sky News that I saw up to last night said the same thing, just because they did not mention it on the news you saw means nothing, every one in the UK and here knows he was Dutch since his arrest.

what are you lampin on about. what has this got to do with the thread? we are discussing Galway, not Holland or sky news.

• Advertisement

it is for the full fare, but for fifty cents? the guards would think naked camera was behind it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement