Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai probe girl's taxi ordeal over 50 cent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

yeehaw wrote: »

whats your point, Galwegians dare to criticise a foreign national behaving badly so they must be conservative rednecks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Msking

some are crap and I have had them shout at me when they couldn't find the place were I was staying and insisted I pay for the time they spent going around looking. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Msking wrote: »
    some are crap and I have had them shout at me when they couldn't find the place were I was staying and insisted I pay for the time they spent going around looking. :mad:

when I get in and if they do not know where the place is I get out again. galway is not that big for them not to know the estates and street names.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mybabydoll

I have seen plenty of taxi drivers in action over my years in living in Galway city regardless of their nationality, but i did see a case in a hotel i worked in when the taxi drive came into the hotel after guest looking for more money after he had taken them all over the city before taken them to the hotel. he claimed they gave him the wrong hotel nae even tho they showed him the hotel card, i presume the taught lets pull the wool over the Americans eyes and get a bit extra out of them. the guest called the taxi regulator and I still see him driving a taxi..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

snubbleste wrote: »
    The article does mention a foreign driver.
    It would'nt have mentioned that it was an Irish driver.

Oh would ya ever shut up with the pc paranoia. A local news article that mentions a taxi driver would give the presumption of an Irish driver as well you know.

Oh and by the way I would NEVER get a foreign driver cause I hate em all. I have no shame in saying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Skyuser wrote: »
    Oh and by the way I would NEVER get a foreign driver cause I hate em all. I have no shame in saying that.

Well, you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Do they have the name of that taxi driver. Something similiar happened to one that I know.
    To the girl in article, if you are reading this or if anyone knows her I am begging you to please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

So what exactly is your 'foreign-ometer' tester to check if they are Irish or not when you get in the car? Do you make them give you a recitation an epic Irish poem? See if they can name all the GAA captains? Do a DNA test with your portable kit? Or do you have some other way to accurately discerne 'them all' this I haven't thought of?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Fuinseog wrote: »
    whats your point, Galwegians dare to criticise a foreign national behaving badly so they must be conservative rednecks?

Yeah something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Theres a few foreign taxi drivers that have a very very bad breed or streek in them. **** the cúnts. Taxis are a fuppin joke. Local cllrs should sort out the whole ****ing thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

yeehaw wrote: »
    Good Woman

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Would you get in a cab if the driver was from Scotland or England?
    Genuine question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Would you get in a cab if the driver was from Scotland or England?
    Genuine question.

At least they'd speak English.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭vintac34

Moral of the story is -Never take a taxi in Galway unless the driver has a local accent,preferably in the native language-
    Im sticking to this 100%..Should work for the remainder of my life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I can't believe some of the responses here about people NEVER getting into a taxi with a non-Irish driver. Seriously? The only negative taxi experience I've had in Ireland was with a local (Galway) taxi driver. Does that mean I should run for cover whenever the taxi driver is a local?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jenny retro

Am I the only person here who routinely gets shortchanged by taxi drivers? Usually by 20 or 50 cent like but by a euro or 2 the odd time. All adds up at the end of the night I'm sure.. and that's national and non nationals alike..
    Usually don't say anything cos I just want my bed and no hassle.

bah, some craaaaazy racists around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

I've experienced something like this thankfully without him keeping me in the taxi. I got a taxi from Eyre Sq on a night out with a few friends to Rahoon and it cost €13.20 ..Ridiculous price.. But I gave him the 13.00 as I didn't have the 20c change and he started giving out hell. NEVER AGAIN. I get a Cab Firm now and the most I've ever been charged is €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

MissMoppet wrote: »
    I've experienced something like this thankfully without him keeping me in the taxi. I got a taxi from Eyre Sq on a night out with a few friends to Rahoon and it cost €13.20 ..Ridiculous price.. But I gave him the 13.00 as I didn't have the 20c change and he started giving out hell. NEVER AGAIN. I get a Cab Firm now and the most I've ever been charged is €8.

Out of curiosity, would you do this in a shop, if the bill came to 13.20 for goods you purchased, overpriced goods even, would you give the person behind the counter 13 euro and walk out?

Also I'd like people to think about the following scenario:

Local galway taxi driver picks up 3 foreign nationals, takes them where they want to go and then they short change him by 50c, because they didn't wait to find out the fair they just gave him what they claim it 'usually costs'.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I can't believe some of the responses here about people NEVER getting into a taxi with a non-Irish driver. ?

Of course not. However, we have similar stories from all around the Island. We had other stories concerning certain gentlemen at McDonald's in another thread and the story gets repeated in other threads on different subjects, concerning the same gentlemen.

What we are seeing is a disproportion of complaints from what should be a minority either in the service providing industry or as victims in the service providing industry, see mod's post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Gardai probe girl's taxi ordeal over 50 cent
    Did they ask her 21 questions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

snubbleste wrote: »
    The article does mention a foreign driver.
    It would'nt have mentioned that it was an Irish driver.

Because....wait for it......

Most drivers are now, or have been historically Irish. Irish is the default. If the "foreigness" is not mentioned, you can assume Irishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I always pick my taxi driver based on the colour of his skin.

Getting a black taxi driver is the only way to avoid a conversation about black taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

what are you lampin on about. what has this got to do with the thread? we are discussing Galway, not Holland or sky news.

Would you ever read the thread and stop asking me what I am doing, I was responding to a previous post by TristanPeter. Read the fri..ing thread before you post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

biko wrote: »
    Well he didn't drive off with her maliciously. It's seems he just got really really really really really really really pissed off which scared her.

Leaving the race issue completely aside, as a woman I can assure you that I would have been extremely traumatised if I was locked into a car and intimidated in this fashion by this person. It was the actions of a thug, and whether the fare was 50c or €50 wrong nothing justifies his behaviour. I doubt he'd have driven off and shouted at and intimidated a 6ft male.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd be a bit frightened too I must say. Then again, I'd probably have that 50 cents on me in change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If the newspaper had interviewed the taxi driver first and printed that instead you can bet this thread would be about nasty students.

My point is there are 2 sides to every story. We only have 1 side

Also why is the fact the taxi driver is a foreign national even relevant or being mentioned? It's not like every time Obama is mentioned in the news his title is Black American President Obama.

faceman wrote: »
    It's not like every time Obama is mentioned in the news his title is Black American President Obama.

In some countries he is actually. In South America, the Caribbean and Parts of Africa he is seen as model to what black people can aspire too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm new to Galway but have found the local Irish taxi drivers to be great. Most round down their fares which, in my book, means I'll keep their details and use them or their firm again so they'll have me as a customer. Any driver haggling over 50c is going over the top in my book. We all have moments when we're going to be short, even in a shop situation. It's not acceptable to create a scene over an amount less than a euro at the very least. The girl and her friends did pay him the majority of the fare. I'm not seeing a big problem here and certainly nothing that requires the girl to be driven to a garda station or anywhere else.

I'll be honest and say that I would not. had I the choice, get into a taxi with a black taxi driver. It's got nothing to do with race but I'm a frequent taxi user both here and in Dublin and I've found that at times these drivers don'[t listen to where they're being asked to go, or don't know where the place is, create a fuss when you tell them that they're going the wrong direction and invariably charge you for their mistakes and again get excited if you reason with them. This is the fault of regulation I think. Taxi drivers should know the locations of theaters/hospitals/hotels and other public venues and have a decent knowledge of the layout of a city and areas within that city. No one is going to know exactly where your house is for sure but they should be able to get you 90% of the way before they need help with directions. That hasn't been my experience in the past and I've had enough. I've had bad experiences with Irish taxi drivers as well, as I said, it's not a race issue but proportionally foreign drivers have caused me more grief. There needs to be tighter standards in the industry and it shouldn't be seen as a handy source of cash for any old chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

squonk wrote: »
    I'll be honest and say that I would not. had I the choice, get into a taxi with a black taxi driver. It's got nothing to do with race

Actually it's everything to do with race. You're prejudging their ability to find their way around based on the colour of their skin. Dress it up any way you like, but it's plain old racism, underneath it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

it's not really racism, i've found (IN MY EXPERIENCE) that black taxi drivers are more likely to try and get an extra couple of quid out of you for a run

i didnt do a racism dont worry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement