Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai probe girl's taxi ordeal over 50 cent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭squonk

Actually it's everything to do with race. You're prejudging their ability to find their way around based on the colour of their skin. Dress it up any way you like, but it's plain old racism, underneath it all.

Interpret it as you want Pope but I would have no issue at all whatsoever in taking a taxi with a black driver if I was reasonably expecting I would meet someone professional and fair to deal with. I don't doubt there are drivers out there who are like that, I'm saying that in my experience I've found that it is not the case more times than not. I don't see it as racist. You wouldn't keep going to a shop where they overcharge you, give you the wrong product and then create a fuss when you try to complain would you Pope? Same thing here. I don't care who's driving the taxi, I just want to get where I'm going at a reasonable cost and with as little hassle as possible. Experience tells me there are ways to achieve that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

inisboffin wrote: »
    So what exactly is your 'foreign-ometer' tester to check if they are Irish or not when you get in the car? Do you make them give you a recitation an epic Irish poem? See if they can name all the GAA captains? Do a DNA test with your portable kit? Or do you have some other way to accurately discerne 'them all' this I haven't thought of?:rolleyes:
    Very simple...if they aint white, I'm not getting in.
    Would you get in a cab if the driver was from Scotland or England?
    Genuine question.
    Ya sure I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

Skyuser wrote: »

Ya sure I would.

what if they're really well tanned??

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bill murray

Im not allowed talk about someone maybe taking over a nightclub or have a conversation with someone in a thread yet borderline racism is ok.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Actually it's everything to do with race. You're prejudging their ability to find their way around based on the colour of their skin. Dress it up any way you like, but it's plain old racism, underneath it all.

Equally, I am actually of the same opinion as the poster you quoted, for the very reason that out of all the negative experience I've had with taxi drivers, about 95% of them were with black drivers, trying to overcharge being the main grievance. It's not a predujice based on the inherent fact that they're black, it's based upon repeat experiences. Yes, it's a general label, and its unfair to those that are genuine, but unfortunately thats how the world works, for most people. If you go to a shop and get crap service from several employess, it wouldn't matter if there were several others that were great - you'd generally have a very negative opinion of the place and most likely wouldn't return based on the actions of those few. I wouldn't limit it to black people in relation to taxis, I would apply it to any service or function in which a select group/minority could be held liable for my discourse, be they irish/black/eastern european and whatever else. In fact, I generally prefer eastern european drivers, as I find they actual are the most reasonable.

And, it just so happens, as someone who gets cabs a lot generally, the only problems I seem to encounter is when the driver happens to be black, and that's not to say they're all trouble, but it gives me reason enough to consciously avoid said drivers in general, and I'm absolutely sick of people 50 miles away behind their keyboard brandishing their fingers shouting "RACIST!!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

squonk wrote: »
    You wouldn't keep going to a shop where they overcharge you, give you the wrong product and then create a fuss when you try to complain would you Pope?

What shop? The black skin shop? Who's 'they', presumably the ubiquitous, cookie cutter, employees of the black skin shop, with their black skins, and lack of ability to provide service?

If you were complaining about a specific taxi firm, that would be one thing, but you're stating quite clearly that you're prejudging someone's ability to do their job based on the colour of their skin.

You might be able to fool yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bill murray

You should lock this thread its only going to get worse.

You should lock this thread its only going to get worse.

Well so far it's not really much beyond people relating their own personal prejudices.

It is straying off topic though, I suppose.

Let's give it another while and see where it goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Fuinseog wrote: »
    By Brian McDonald
    Monday January 24 2011

GARDAI
    are investigating a complaint by an 18-year-old student that she was subjected to a terrifying ordeal by a taxi driver over an alleged debt of 50 cent.

The Limerick woman, who is a first-year student at NUI Galway, was recovering at her family home over the weekend after being driven away in the back of a taxi, without knowing where she was being taken.
    Liz (not her real name) and three friends had taken a taxi on the five-minute journey from their accommodation to Eyre Square, in the centre of Galway city, last Thursday.
    Shout
    The trip always costs €8 and the women had each paid €2 and were getting out of the taxi when the driver started to shout at them, said Liz.
    She was the only passenger remaining when the driver, who is a foreign national, drove off.
    "He was shouting. He seemed to be saying that I owed him 50 cent. My friends got a terrible fright and contacted gardai who were at Eyre Square.
    "The driver drove around for 10 minutes, shouting," said the shaken student.
    Liz got a call on her mobile from one of her anxious friends and she put it on speaker phone to let the driver know gardai had been alerted.
    Liz said she did not have any change and only had a €50 note, which she threw at the driver. When he halted the car to pick it up she fled from the vehicle.
    - Brian McDonald
    Irish Independent

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Skyuser wrote: »

Ya sure I would.

Grand so. Was just trying to clarify if it was general xenophobia toward all 'foreigners' or simply downright racism - the latter obviously.

Much though I disagree, at least it's a bit more honest than the 'i'm not racist but I won't get into a taxi with a black skinned person' BS.
    Not racism? Youse are all in the Nile!

And let's see how ye get on with the watered down version - ' using Irish drivers only' - in 10 or twenty years when there will be loads more BLACK drivers who are born and bred here, speak like you, and speak our native language too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I'm always a bit surprised at the amount of people who refuse point blank to get into a cab with a black driver, even if it's the only one at the taxi rank. Would you not just take note of any driver you've had a bad experience with and not get them again? I had a bad experience with a cab driver once, he charged me almost €9 to get home, when it usually costs a fiver or less and he was quite rude when I asked him why it was so expensive, so I don't get his taxi.

I do rarely get taxis with black drivers though simply because I try to use Big O when I can, and afaik their drivers are all white, although they do have at least one who is not Irish. I find them the cheapest though, it's always €5 or less to get home, and most of their drivers are nice and don't spend the journey complaining. If there is no Big O taxi at the rank though I don't really mind what taxi I get into, but I do try to avoid City Taxis as I find their drivers really rude, and they have often brought me home the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

I think we were beating this horse last month after the report "Racism in the Galway Taxi Industry" came out. It's the usual argument. The tree hugging pc brigade will say you're a complete racist for using skin colour to determine your chances of getting ripped off by a taxi driver. Past experiences do not matter whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

The article says nothing about the driver being black but everyone jumps to conclusions. I do think that we should find out the drivers perspective as this is clearly a one sided article that was told by a woman who was on a night out and was possibly already drinking. Who knows what was said to the driver or whether the amount that they refused to pay was 50cent.

These threads really show the underlying racism in Galway. Basing who is going to drive you home based on the colour of there skin is racism. The more that this kind of attitude continues the more alienated non-nationals will become. This will lead to even larger problems for Galway in the future. Embrace culture and they will embrace ours.

I would never pick which cab to get based on skin colour and I find it crazy that anyone could judge an individual based on where they are from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Mits wrote: »
    Is this for real.

I thought taxi drivers were needed to be garda vetted. The law should run its course and if found guilty he should never be allowed to drive a taxi again.

i think that only applies to Irish applications. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

BLACK drivers who are born and bred here, speak like you, and speak our native language too.

As someone who gets around schools a lot, I'm happy to report that a substantial amount of the 8~12 years old black students are today very well integrated and speak, think, act and behave like any other white child in the school.

The problem as has been identified is with the 'opportunists' who have no intention of integrating in Irish society.

My prediction is that the opportunists will go elsewhere and be replaced by this generation of students in due course. While it will take a bit of time to eradicate the damage the current opportunists are doing, I think the problem of racism will abate and not get worse ~

Many black families are very appreciative of the support that the they receive from the Irish, many are the nicest people one could hope to meet anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Whenver i do need to go get a taxi, i would generally have a look at two things :

1)are they part of a taxi company(bigO, galway taxi, ect ect) - if the yare then sure i'll jump into one of these taxis

2)What colour they are, I have decided this due to many taxis were i had to mannually tell the taxi driver were i wanted to go. I want to get a taxi to go from A to B as quick as possable, not to tell them were to go, they should know it! Most "white" taxi drivers know were to go, while "black" generally have the basics area around the city, but no were else, Also When I ask cerain taxi drivers to go a certain route, were i would know be quicker for me and such, they tell me that they get to chose the route were ther is oviously not true!
    You must have a good knowledge of major routes and destinations, and you must follow any direction or route chosen by the passenger.

quote taken from the taxi reglation website, of what taxi drivers need to know.

These are my reasons, yes i identify certain taxi drivers by my past experiance with indivdual journies.

It's the usual argument. The tree hugging pc brigade will say you're a complete racist for using skin colour to determine your chances of getting ripped off by a taxi driver.

Using skin colour as a determinant, in fact the *only* determinant, is dictionary definition racism, it's that simple. If you do this, you have a choice, you can admit, like some here have done, that it is a racist sentiment, and be happy with yourself, or you can continue to 'protest too much'.

If you choose to do the latter, you are only fooling yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I was in an awful state after listening to 50cent in a taxi once.

gbee wrote: »
    As someone who gets around schools a lot, I'm happy to report that a substantial amount of the 8~12 years old black students are today very well integrated and speak, think, act and behave like any other white child in the school.

The problem as has been identified is with the 'opportunists' who have no intention of integrating in Irish society.

My prediction is that the opportunists will go elsewhere and be replaced by this generation of students in due course. While it will take a bit of time to eradicate the damage the current opportunists are doing, I think the problem of racism will abate and not get worse ~

Many black families are very appreciative of the support that the they receive from the Irish, many are the nicest people one could hope to meet anywhere.

Absolutely!! My point is that many of the black drivers NOW are nice people, and not the opportunists that you mention. My point is that often racists like to hide behind statements like 'not Irish' and 'foreigner', when really what they are judging people on, is SIMPLY the colour of their skin, not even a reigon, but colour. My point is in a few years time, there will not be as many excuses to water down this racism. It will be blatent. I really hope it goes away. Immigrants *bring* to a healthy society too, so it shouldn't be all about trying to squeeze in the 'irish' box, but a little about us learning new things too.

Past experiences do not matter whatsoever.

Jaysus! If we were to follow this logic, the human race might die out alltogether!! Judging simply by a visual recognition (gender/race, for example), it is very likely a ton of women would never go NEAR any man, (and vice-versa) if we were to base all interaction on 'a past experience with one of them'!!! Lol

• Advertisement

Jaysus! If we were to follow this logic, the human race might die out alltogether!! Judging simply by a visual recognition (gender/race, for example), it is very likely a ton of women would never go NEAR any man, (and vice-versa) if we were to base all interaction on 'a past experience with one of them'!!! Lol
    So do you think that poor girl is going to use a taxi driven by a foreign national again? Is it fair to the honest foreign nationals out there? No. Is she now a racist?

Absolutely!! My point is that many of the black drivers NOW are nice people, and not the opportunists that you mention. My point is that often racists like to hide behind statements like 'not Irish' and 'foreigner', when really what they are judging people on, is SIMPLY the colour of their skin, not even a reigon, but colour. My point is in a few years time, there will not be as many excuses to water down this racism. It will be blatent. I really hope it goes away. Immigrants *bring* to a healthy society too, so it shouldn't be all about trying to squeeze in the 'irish' box, but a little about us learning new things too.

Why is it being pushed by the PC brigade that those of us who use taxis regularly and have had bad experiences with certain groups are automatically racist? If you want to be so simplistic about things then go ahead. I'll be quite happy taking taxis with anyone when all drivers know where they're gong and don't try to rip me off or shout me down when I question them in any way either about the route they're taking or the fare they're looking to charge.

I've worked with many different nationalities throughout my career and have taken them all as I found them. My basic premise is this, I treat you as I expect to be treated myself. if you don't do likewise then I'll not be happy. There are groupings within the taxi industry who use it to make a quick buck. Scam me once, shame on you. Scam me a second time, shame on me.

Why is it being pushed by the PC brigade that those of us who use taxis regularly and have had bad experiences with certain groups are automatically racist? If you want to be so simplistic about things then go ahead. I'll be quite happy taking taxis with anyone when all drivers know where they're gong and don't try to rip me off or shout me down when I question them in any way either about the route they're taking or the fare they're looking to charge.

I've worked with many different nationalities throughout my career and have taken them all as I found them. My basic premise is this, I treat you as I expect to be treated myself. if you don't do likewise then I'll not be happy. There are groupings within the taxi industry who use it to make a quick buck. Scam me once, shame on you. Scam me a second time, shame on me.

You continue to behave as if everyone with the same skin colour are responsible each others actions, and in fact, all behave the same way.

Here's a thesis: Everyone who antagonised you was a taxi driver; perhaps you should avoid taxi drivers, based on past experience of course.

Using skin colour as a determinant, in fact the *only* determinant, is dictionary definition racism, it's that simple. If you do this, you have a choice, you can admit, like some here have done, that it is a racist sentiment, and be happy with yourself, or you can continue to 'protest too much'.

If you choose to do the latter, you are only fooling yourself.

I would say the term selective racism comes to mind....black taxi drivers etc again based on past experiences.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'm arriving late at this but are we at the Rodney King stage of things yet? I was having trouble getting a pitchfork.

I would say the term selective racism comes to mind....black taxi drivers etc again based on past experiences.

I've had several bad experiences with taxi drivers. If I remember right, I'm pretty sure every one of them was overweight.

I'd probably expect someone to point out how illogical I was being if I went on an internet forum and proudly stated that I'd never get into another taxi with a fat driver, and just skip on past to someone thin, based on past experience.

But hey, it's your life, you only have to make yourself happy...

You continue to behave as if everyone with the same skin colour are responsible each others actions, and in fact, all behave the same way.

Here's a thesis: Everyone who antagonised you was a taxi driver; perhaps you should avoid taxi drivers, based on past experience of course.

I'd like to be able to drive/make my own way but I can't and it's not always possible with public transport not servicing areas etc.

I agree completely that it's unfair to label everyone from a particular demographic group the same. However, if you get ripped off enough times by a particular demographic group, is it not logical to take steps to prevent yourself from being in that position. I have travelled with many different nationalities in taxis. There is a tendency for one group to take advantage of their passengers. I work hard for my money and am entitled to a night out where a. I can get home without getting ripped off and, b. I can get home without hassle.

How often do you take Taxis Pope? How often do you take random taxis without ringing a specific company first? What would you do if you were charged 25%-50% more to get home than what you reckoned it would cost and you had to argue with he driver to try and take a route that actually was a quick way to get home? I'm saying that these drivers are unprofessional and opportunist. If they clean up their act they'll get my business and I look forward to it happening but right now thee are too many of them in the fly by night category and too many politically correct people looking for any excuse to justify themselves turning a real issue into a simplistic race one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I never get into 'private' taxis at all, i don't care what colour the drivers are, their race has nothing to do with my decision not to use them.
    It's incidents such as the mentioned that re-enforce my decision to only get taxis from taxi companies, at least if something happened there would be a record of my pick-up and drop off and the driver could be traced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

If I remember right, I'm pretty sure every one of them was overweight....

Well there are three types of fat driver, the jovial happy-go-lucky type, a fun drive usually and usually a bit off the fare.

The obese fellow with all the medical history ever inflicted on mankind and one is a qualified surgeon or consultant before the dive ends, he usually feels sorry for me too, and reduces the fare.

Then there is the fat sweating, BO emitting, bitter, nasty, lecherous looking guy that undresses you as you approach, the drive is slow and unnerving as personal questions seem to be more than small-talk. He charges the full fare and has to look up the book to see if he can charge more.

• Advertisement

How often do you take Taxis Pope? How often do you take random taxis without ringing a specific company first? What would you do if you were charged 25%-50% more to get home than what you reckoned it would cost and you had to argue with he driver to try and take a route that actually was a quick way to get home? I'm saying that these drivers are unprofessional and opportunist. If they clean up their act they'll get my business and I look forward to it happening but right now thee are too many of them in the fly by night category and too many politically correct people looking for any excuse to justify themselves turning a real issue into a simplistic race one.

I take taxis every night I go out, always from the rank (coming home) I have been driven home by many individuals, of many varying physical characteristics, disabilities, skin tones, hair colours, nationalities, and home counties. Once I was verbally abused, by a white middle aged fat man from Dublin. Once I was overcharged by a white middle aged fat man from Galway (who I got from and office, not a rank).

You are making the mistake of promoting the individual to group representative. How can 'they' clean up their act, when 'they' don't exist. Only individual exists, I am not my brothers keeper, and he is not mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement