Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to request a break clause?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

So we are looking at some places to rent but there is a very slight possibility that we may have to up sticks to America in less than 12 months. Obviously I am not going to mention that to an agent or landlord.

It would be great to have a break clause in the lease so that there is a clear and binding agreement on what we would have to do. However, I don't know how to request one without sounding like we are no good and plan on leaving before 12 months.

We have excellent references and have all of the deposit and first months rent ready to go tomorrow if needed.

I have had break clauses in leases before (never needed to use them) and really like the peace of mind they give.

If you are a landlord would you consider it a reasonable request or would it rule out any tenant?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

As a landlord I would consider a short lease, but not a open-ended break clause.

Just be honest with the landlord.

I have tended to offer 6 month leases with an open-ended 6 week notice period once the 6 months is up, but that's only for easy-to-rent places. For a less popular place I drop the asking rent to get a tenant likely to stay longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 fds

So a 6 month lease that can be renewed during that 6 week period? That would work.

And I should add that otherwise I wouldn't expect a break clause that just allows us to up sticks at any point, I would be happy to be obliged to give 2 or 3 months notice in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DrBass

Just ask them, its what I done only last week, say you want a 12 month contract with a break option after 6 months. done

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Break clauses happen all the time with leases. They are normally based on a 6 month break. Just ensure that it is clearly stated in the lease, act for a copy of the lease to be emailed to you so that you can read over it first.

Advertisement