Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tickets

• 24-01-2011 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi All,

I will be visiting NY in April and want to catch one of the Mets-Astros games. I tried to use stubhub to buy tickets but they dont have Ireland as a country option when you register and require a valid US phone number.

Does anyone have advise about the best way to buy tickets and maybe where to sit in Citi Field (as an astros fan)

Thanks

Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

TempPeck wrote: »
    Hi All,

I will be visiting NY in April and want to catch one of the Mets-Astros games. I tried to use stubhub to buy tickets but they dont have Ireland as a country option when you register and require a valid US phone number.

Does anyone have advise about the best way to buy tickets and maybe where to sit in Citi Field (as an astros fan)

Thanks

Alan

I've been to CitiField over the past 2 seasons and sat in a variety of seats and to be honest, there aren't too many bad seats no matter where you sit.

Tickets go on general release in the first week in March so hold off buying until then. You can get them from mets.com. The tickets on sale on Stubhub are the ones bought by season ticket holders who decide to sell games they won't be able to attend. As the Mets are awful, there won't be a problem getting them from the website when they go on sale. There's still a recession in the States and New Yorkers don't spend money on a rubbish product so you'll be alright. Log onto the Mets website and register for ticket alerts and you'll get notification when they're going on sale.

Listing the seats to avoid will probably be easier than saying which ones are best because I don't know your budget. And it won't make a difference that you're an Astros fan. Most mets fans are good natured and apart from a bit of slaging, you won't get any grief. If you were a Yankee or Phillies fan, well then that would be a different story!

If you're up in the top level (Promenade level) avoid sitting in the first 3-4 rows. They have a glass partition that blocks part of your view. Also avoid the cheapest of the cheap seats up in the promenade level, i.e. section 533-538 and 501-504. if money is an issue and you are doing it on the cheap, the best seats on the promenade level are in section 513-515. You're right behind home plate. A little high up but you get a great view of the whole stadium. I quite liked it there to be honest.

The only problem with the Promenade level is that you can only eat/drink at the regular concession stands. If you buy tickets for most of the other areas, you get access to nice bars with grub served on actual plates!!

My favourite seats (bearing in mind that I can't afford the good ones behind home plate) are in sections 134-137. They're out in left field and you get a chance to catch a home run ball if one comes that way (not that I ever did!). Obviously the more money you're willing to spend, the better seat you'll get but as most of the seats in the stadium are good, I don't think it's necessary to break the bank. The ticket prices at CitiField are tiered depending on the opponent and the day of the week and I just looked at this year's pricing schdule and tickets for the Astros games all fall into the cheapest category so you will probably be able to get a better seat than you would be able to afford had it been against the Yankees or whoever.

The good thing about CitiField is that you can walk around and still get a good view of the field. So if you're not happy with your seat, you can go and stand somewhere and still get a great view.

If you're getting thre early, make sure to get some grub out of the Shake Shack past Centre Field. I say if you're there early as once the crowd build up, the queues can take over a half an hour to clear. The food is amazing though. And if you want a nice beer to try, go for the Brooklyn lager.

I hope this helps but if you need to know anything else, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭TempPeck

Wow. Thats one hell of a reply!

Thanks for the info, thats really helped alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Hey, I was at a game (v Marlins) in Citi Field last summer and got the tickets on the mets.com ticket website. Seats were in the Promanede section 510, row 8 which was about midway back in the stand. We were quite high up but the view was grand, you can check out the seat view for a section from the website. Tickets themselves were $25 and I was able to print up the tickets when purchasing.

One thing you might want to bear in mind is the weather. If you are gonna be there for a series it might be best to go to the first game as if that game is rained off, you will be able to exchange your ticket(s) for another game in that series...

On a related topic to what Coeus says, CitiField can get quite cold, especially in April. And if there's swirling wind which is quite common as it's on the bay, it can feel baltic. So bring a coat if it's an evening game you're going to be attending!

And I forgot to say in my original post, there's a nice bar called McFaddens outside the stadium which is good for a snack and a few beers before the game. They do nice burgers, ribs, etc. and the waitresses are easy on the eye too!

Thanks for the help guys. I'll post a pic from the game when I get home.

• Advertisement

Just to let you know Mets tickets go on sale on March 14. You should have no problem getting tickets to any of the Astros games as they are all midweek games

Thanks Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

Just bought my tickets to the Subway Series Mets@Yankees on May 20th, GET IN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Yea, I got tickets for Texas at Yankees in June today. Also have tickets for Oakland at Phillies later in the month. Just glad if I can get some games in when Im stateside for my hols :)

TempPeck, just to re-emphasise what I said in an earlier post it can be bloody cold at CitiField up until about mid-May. I'm just back from 4 games there and even when it was mild t-shirt weather in Manhattan, it was full coat and on one day, even wooly hat and gloves weather out in Flushing. The wind was bitter. So don't forget that coat!

• Advertisement

Thanks jack, I'll keep that in mind.

Advertisement