Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Judo] IJA membership surpasses..

• 24-01-2011 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

2010 Membership surpasses 2009

By the end of December 2010, membership numbers have risen nearly 14% on 2009. This amazing effort by clubs has shown the determination to move Judo in Ireland forward. The IJA has listed the top five clubs from last year for memberships, why not give one of the clubs a call to see if they can offer any top tips on bringing memberships into clubs and the IJA.The Association also welcomed more new clubs including schools clubs in 2010.
    Last years top 5 membership clubs were:
    1. Kerry School of Judo (Kerry)
    2. Samurai Uladh Judo Club (Derry/Donegal)
    3. Ren Bu Kan (Tyrone)
    4. Oranmore Judo Club (Galway)
    5. Yamakwai Judo Club (Antrim)

Source.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I'm glad Judo is growing here in Ireland. Hopefully by March I'll be back on the mats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Quick question.

Do you think that the increased interest overall in grappling in Ireland has precipitated this growth? Or do you reckon it's just Judo alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Quick question.

Do you think that the increased interest overall in grappling in Ireland has precipitated this growth? Or do you reckon it's just Judo alone?

Probably both.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

Quick question.

I reckon it's kids memberships that's driving the figures upwards. From what I've seen senior membership of Judo is at it's lowest it's been in years and thats thanks to the popularity of BJJ and MMA.

BJJ and MMA have all the glamour attached to them and Judo (while one of the toughest sports in the world) just isn't as popular.

I was just thinking about this the other day, no one batted an eyelid when I was representing Ireland and competing abroad, people would always ask me how the "Karate" was going. Now after switching to MMA (Thanks to a very effective "judo changing montage" in SBG) I can clearly see where all the potential Judo club members are going. :)

However more recently I keep getting asked how the Kickboxing is going lol Just can't win! :)

Anyways from my own experience Coolmine Judo Club used to have the most senior members in all the martial arts clubs Coolmine Sports complex and after only 7 months running Coolmine BJJ has nearly quadruple the numbers consistently on the mat. It's just the way things have gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I probably shouldn't post this as I'll get in trouble, but when we were trying to recruit people for or university club at the start of the school year, we joked about changing our sign to BJJ to get more people in. We might even have been able to get them to take a class or two before they realised they'd been duped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Good question Barry.

I'd agree entirely with Luke, and go further to add that Judo has been very poorly marketed.

BJJ has captured the imagination of a lot of young lads, and ladies. Plus, and I hope I don't get anyone's back up here, its a fairly safe & easy way to get training in a grappling art.

I do think that the growth in BJJ will benefit Judo as already some clubs are seeing a lot of members cross training between the two styles.

To quote John Kavanagh "they're both opposite sides of the same coin".

I'd love to see them grow together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

BJJ has captured the imagination of a lot of young lads, and ladies. Plus, and I hope I don't get anyone's back up here, its a fairly safe & easy way to get training in a grappling art.
    Yes I would agree and I don't think you'd get anyone's back up with that. Given a choice between being choked or thrown I know which way I'd go. I'd say it's certainly true up to a certain point anyway at which point they probably level out. ie. Judo doesn't get easier but the level of contact remains fairly consistent, possibly even levels off to some extent, whereas BJJ would have a steeper contact curve. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway it's a point of curiosity. I know a lot of guys in BJJ are casual Judo guys because they want to start on top in their matches. Others want to play their guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes I would agree and I don't think you'd get anyone's back up with that. Given a choice between being choked or thrown I know which way I'd go. I'd say it's certainly true up to a certain point anyway at which point they probably level out. ie. Judo doesn't get easier but the level of contact remains fairly consistent, possibly even levels off to some extent, whereas BJJ would have a steeper contact curve. Hope that makes sense.

Not sure I have that right Barry, you'll have to excuse me this evening. I've an ear ache banging the bejayus out of my head and its hard to concentrate fully.

I think Judo gets easier only because you really have to get tough to see it through, in my experience its a genuinely very tough style.

In regards to being thrown or choked, I think a common misconception about judo is that its a throwing art, but of the four ways of winning a judo fight four of them are on the ground, ie chokes/strangles, submission/joint lock or pins.
    Anyway it's a point of curiosity. I know a lot of guys in BJJ are casual Judo guys because they want to start on top in their matches. Others want to play their guard.

I love training BJJ, the lads I've trained with take me right out of my comfort zone, but I'm at the point of almost detesting it as a spectator now.

I can understand a fighter taking grips and pulling guard, thats all well and good. You've had to fight for dominent grips and position.. But, and this is purely my own opinion, to attract spectators I think butt flopping to the floor should be made illegal - its awful, to the point of being laughable.

We don't have it in this country, but some Judo organisations have newaza (ground) competitions where the fight starts from the ground.. Personally I wouldn't do it, if I'm going to the ground I want to fight my way to it.

Now, I believe Will is good with rehab - has he a cure for an earache, I'm up the walls with it :(

Advertisement