Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for coddle?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I'll be visiting Dublin in April (yeah I'm planning well ahead) and am wondering where you reckon has the best Coddle, pref in town - don't really want to be 'travelling' too much.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

God I love coddle.

I've never seen it advertised or noticed it on any menu anywhere in Dublin I'm afraid. I heard that the place that used to be Pravda (just as you come over the ha'penny bridge, going northside) is doing Coddle, but Im not sure if its only certain days.

And they brown the sausages before they go into the pot to make it more attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

O'Neills on Suffolk Street (off Dame Street) do ham hocks with coddle. I'm a veggie so I don't know if it's any good, but any time I've eaten there the food's always been delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

It's not generally served in restaurants. Auld dubliner used to do it dunno where else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its hard to come by. i used to do it in the old crossbar in harolds cross

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

its hard to come by. i used to do it in the old crossbar in harolds cross

With the looking to rent a room thread and admiral offering his coddle making services I can see a nice Dublin City Beers Coddle Night in April (aslong as you do white coddle and no brown!).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What's the difference between white and brown coddle? :confused:

Mmmm coddle.

Larianne wrote: »
    What's the difference between white and brown coddle? :confused:

Mmmm coddle.

Well white is moreso just water (think some weirdos put cream in mind you :S), whereas brown is made with oxtail soup or stock cubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well white is moreso just water, whereas brown is made with oxtail soup or stock cubes.

Oh yeah, white coddle only then! Otherwise its turning into a stew!

I'm sure one of the places around Templebar would do it, no?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

That new restaurant in Merchant's Arch, Temple Bar does coddle. Don't like it myself, but it went down well with my mates, and the meal I got was lovely.

• Advertisement

that could be a runner gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My Ma's kitchen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Thanks a mill guys!

Meeting up for a 'coddle night' sounds like an excellent idea Gavin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The Pines on Whitehall Road do a decent coddle and it's only €6.50. It's about a half hour bus trip (15A) from the city centre. They do it as a special so it's not always on the menu so you might need to check before you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Matt The Rashers, in Kimmage, do big bowls of coddle for lunch. They're also renowned for their breakfasts and breakfast rolls that would stop your arteries but are apparently the most delicious things on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Matt The Rashers, in Kimmage, do big bowls of coddle for lunch. They're also renowned for their breakfasts and breakfast rolls that would stop your arteries but are apparently the most delicious things on the planet.

If their coddle's half as tasty as their breakfasts then it'd definitely be worth the trip! The 83 from outside Hogan's on George's St will take you there in about 25 mins, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Thats strange, I eat in the Pines all the time and never noticed them doing coddle.

They do excellent food though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

What the **** is coddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thats strange, I eat in the Pines all the time and never noticed them doing coddle.

They do excellent food though!

They had it on before Christmas for good few weeks. Usually during the day as it sells out. Hopefully it will be back in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

I think 'the Celt' on Talbot street do coddle..and other traditional food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Chickus wrote: »
    I think 'the Celt' on Talbot street do coddle..and other traditional food

Just had a look at their website. They have crubeens too which is great, 'tis years since I ate them :)

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    What the **** is coddle?

If you're from Dublin and do not know what coddle is I suggest never posting again in this forum!:D

Gallagher's Boxty House in Temple Bar does coddle, don't know if it's the brown or white one though. Wouldn't be into the brown one now myself! mmmmm might make a coddle now actually for tomorrow's dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Saw it on menu in Bruxelle's before christmas. Cracking pub too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Had a lovely serving of coddle a couple of weeks back in The Lotts Café Bar off Liffey St.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭warder6161

Mountjoy every saturday...free but you might need to book the seat because it is nearly always overbooked ! :D:D

i saw it on the set menu in the bachelor inn yesterday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Love when ye get the chewy intestine skin bit off the sausage..*vom*

ah no coddles lovely..white coddle only though!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

CODDLE, OMM NOMM NOMM NOMM!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    What the **** is coddle?

Yeah, I asked the same question over in the Beer guts & receding hairlines forum.
    Was answered more nicely then here
    Coddle (sometimes Dublin Coddle) is an Irish dish consisting of layers of roughly sliced pork sausages and rashers (thinly sliced, somewhat fatty back bacon) with sliced potatoes, and onions.

Coddle.jpg
    Sounds vile, Dubs are strange :p

Advertisement